SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Dangerous Waters (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Dangerous Waters on Windows 8 / 10 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=223629)

Pirate 06-30-17 02:50 AM

Just forget about running DW in windowed mode on windows 8 or 10.
It just ain't gonna happen.

To run DW on windowed mode you need to bring the OS's color depth down to 16bit and microsoft removed that ability on windows 8 and 10.

From windows 8 forward, desktop composition only supports 32bit color.

Pisces 06-30-17 09:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pirate (Post 2496195)
Just forget about running DW in windowed mode on windows 8 or 10.
It just ain't gonna happen.

To run DW on windowed mode you need to bring the OS's color depth down to 16bit and microsoft removed that ability on windows 8 and 10.

From windows 8 forward, desktop composition only supports 32bit color.

That is not entirely accurate for Windows 10. I know this wasn't possible in the beginning. Now I do have the option to choose a reduced color mode in the compatibility tab of the executable properties. See image attachment. I haven't tested what the actual result would be with DW or other applications. And I don't know if Windows 8 is any different thesedays.

Pirate 06-30-17 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pisces (Post 2496265)
That is not entirely accurate for Windows 10. I know this wasn't possible in the beginning. Now I do have the option to choose a reduced color mode in the compatibility tab of the executable properties. See image attachment. I haven't tested what the actual result would be with DW or other applications. And I don't know if Windows 8 is any different thesedays.

It doesn't matter. That option has no effect whatsoever!
Win 8 also has that option and I'm telling you, if that worked, the dll wrapper would never have existed because there wouldn't be a reason to.

Furthermore, that option has no effect on desktop composition either, and to run DW in windowed mode desktop composition must be in 16bit color mode, hence why for instance in windows 7 you had to lower desktop color to 16bit before you were able to run DW in a window.

FPSchazly 06-30-17 11:34 AM

I have found the procedure for running DW in a window on Windows 7 - 10 without using 16-bit color depth. I'm going to test it out when I get home and try and make a video or do a write-up at least.

rolandslaw 07-07-17 05:17 PM

Dangerous Waters in Windows 10 installation

Hello Gents:

I have not been around for over 6 months. Picked up a copy of Dangerous Waters and attempted to install on my Windows 10 sys... no joy in mudville.

Any idea how to even get it to install?

I keep threatening to restart SH5 but I have been fighting my health issues for 6 months... surgery behind left ear into the bone to remove 2 infections.... done. Now fighting infection in my right leg..... hopefully success by Monday.

Remember ... one step forward... two steps back.

Roland

Pisces 07-08-17 05:23 AM

Does installing not work? Or does it not play? If the latter then the d3d8.dll fix should solve that. And don't install it in Program Files. That avoids UAC bothering about saving files into the Scenario folder.

rolandslaw 07-08-17 07:05 AM

installation problem

it will not install on the Windows 10 sys.

Thank you for your reply.

Roland

fitzcarraldo 07-08-17 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pisces (Post 2498458)
Does installing not work? Or does it not play? If the latter then the d3d8.dll fix should solve that. And don't install it in Program Files. That avoids UAC bothering about saving files into the Scenario folder.

DW RA works well in my W10 Home Basic with the special dll. I apply Kegety's antilag, too.

Never I can play with some AA with my NVidia Card. AA out. Living with it.

Regards

Fitzcarraldo :salute:

red2112 07-08-17 10:07 AM

DW 10

DW (Steam version) and latest RA mod work just fine in Windows 10, at least for me.

No need to add anything (.dll), latest Steam version comes with it. Iam on W10 x64 and GTX 660 nVidia, i5 chip 8GB ram.

fitzcarraldo 07-08-17 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red2112 (Post 2498523)
DW (Steam version)

No need to add anything (.dll), latest Steam version comes with it. Iam on W10 x64 and GTX 660 nVidia, i5 chip 8GB ram.

And you can set some antialiasing with the Steam Version? I have the two disc original version and I can"t set any AA with Nvidia Inspector or the Nvidia control panel without have a mess in the menus.

Many thanks!

rolandslaw 07-08-17 03:43 PM

non-steam copy of Dangerous Water

Gents:

I was able to install the game onto my hd. It will not start upon "play" selection but receive window notification ... looking for solution.

I am going to review the early posts regarding the d3d8.dll fix ... just need to know where to install and how.

Roland

red2112 07-08-17 04:11 PM

DW AA

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo (Post 2498589)
And you can set some antialiasing with the Steam Version? I have the two disc original version and I can"t set any AA with Nvidia Inspector or the Nvidia control panel without have a mess in the menus.

Many thanks!

What I meant was that you donīt need to look for the "d3d8.dll", it comes in a folder called "Win_8_10_Support" with the Steam version.

To be honest, the game looks just fine as it is to me. The highest res it can go (on my end) is 1280x1024, which is ok. Iam not looking for a AAA game, I played alot of 688i H/K before and still did not to long ago, no fancy graphics there. The same goes for "Fleet Command", all though my screen is 1920x1080.

IMHO Itīs one of those games were nice graphics are not needed, just like "Harpoon 3" or "Fleet Command". Sure it would be nice if it got updated to todayīs standards, but I can live with that. Nice graphics then SH-5 :03:

So, I havent bothered to mess with AA or the nVidia inspector/control panel. If it works, donīt touch it :D

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8rgugjao.jpg

Sorry I could not help you much there...

Happy hunting! :salute:

--

red2112 07-08-17 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolandslaw (Post 2498601)
Gents:

I was able to install the game onto my hd. It will not start upon "play" selection but receive window notification ... looking for solution.

I am going to review the early posts regarding the d3d8.dll fix ... just need to know where to install and how.

Roland

Just put the d3d8.dll file in your Dangerous Waters root folder...

Care,

Red

rolandslaw 07-08-17 05:11 PM

DW video problem

Gents:

I re installed DW from CD. I dl'ed the 1.04 patch and installed in my E drive. I copies the entire d3d file into "dangerous waters" file. I tried mode 1, 2, 3 and no luck.. will not load. keep getting video loadoing problem.

any idea? Roland

I have win 10, two GTX 970 video cards....

red2112 07-08-17 05:58 PM

DW

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolandslaw (Post 2498625)
Gents:

I re installed DW from CD. I dl'ed the 1.04 patch and installed in my E drive. I copies the entire d3d file into "dangerous waters" file. I tried mode 1, 2, 3 and no luck.. will not load. keep getting video loadoing problem.

any idea? Roland

I have win 10, two GTX 970 video cards....

Try reading this...

http://steamcommunity.com/app/1600/d...4115199194820/