SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Watch crew Ship Spotted distance (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=239168)

Fearless 11-16-18 07:12 PM

Watch crew Ship Spotted distance

Hi all,
I was wondering if there was a way I could adjust the distance the watch crew
spots a ship. At present, their reaction is very slow whereby the enemy ship is in close distance and attacks well before the watch crew spots the ship.
Which files are used to make those adjustments?

Thanks in advance.

KaleunMarco 11-16-18 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearless (Post 2577619)
Hi all,
I was wondering if there was a way I could adjust the distance the watch crew
spots a ship. At present, their reaction is very slow whereby the enemy ship is in close distance and attacks well before the watch crew spots the ship.
Which files are used to make those adjustments?

Thanks in advance.

gday mate,

increase their WatchmanCoef skills in the ActiveUserPlayerUnits.UPC file.
are you aware of the save games folder & file structure?

do you know how to edit UPC files with Notepad.exe?
those two items would be a prerequisite for what you want to do.

if the answer is no, let me know and i can send more detailed instructions.

Fearless 11-16-18 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark bonamer (Post 2577628)
gday mate,

increase their WatchmanCoef skills in the ActiveUserPlayerUnits.UPC file.
are you aware of the save games folder & file structure?

do you know how to edit UPC files with Notepad.exe?
those two items would be a prerequisite for what you want to do.

if the answer is no, let me know and i can send more detailed instructions.

Thanks for that Mark. I’m assuming that all the watchmen coef need to be changed and than re-applied when a new save is made.

Bleiente 11-17-18 05:54 AM

It is much easier...
You can control the visibility via the sensors.cfg under Visual.
The correct values then depend on the environmental modes used.

:salute:

Fearless 11-17-18 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleiente (Post 2577656)
It is much easier...
You can control the visibility via the sensors.cfg under Visual.
The correct values then depend on the environmental modes used.

Thanks for that Bleiente. Just wondering which lines to change. I presume than that they will spot the ship a lot earlier. :Kaleun_Salute:

KaleunMarco 11-17-18 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearless (Post 2577634)
Thanks for that Mark. I’m assuming that all the watchmen coef need to be changed and than re-applied when a new save is made.

actually, no. you need to change these values only once per career or crew. whatever value is assigned to a crewman stays with him for the remainder of his "life".

so, if you start a career in 1939 and change the watchcoef for each of your watch crew (or a selected few), they keep that ability as long as they are alive.

think of your value change as intense training for that crewman and he will take advantage of that training forever. :-)

good luck. and good hunting.

Fearless 11-17-18 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark bonamer (Post 2577697)
actually, no. you need to change these values only once per career or crew. whatever value is assigned to a crewman stays with him for the remainder of his "life".

so, if you start a career in 1939 and change the watchcoef for each of your watch crew (or a selected few), they keep that ability as long as they are alive.

think of your value change as intense training for that crewman and he will take advantage of that training forever. :-)

good luck. and good hunting.

Thanks again mark. Wouldn't I need to change the WatchCoef in the CrewMembers.upc to keep those settings permanent? I found that the save files revert back to original settings when a save is made.

KaleunMarco 11-17-18 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearless (Post 2577783)
Thanks again mark. Wouldn't I need to change the WatchCoef in the CrewMembers.upc to keep those settings permanent? I found that the save files revert back to original settings when a save is made.

that's interesting.
that has not been my experience.
wait a minute. were you referring to a career-game-save or a war patrol/mission game save?
i was thinking in reference to a career-game-save. once you change those values, they stay with the crewman until he dies or you transfer him or your career ends.
if you are referring to a war patrol/mission game save, then i suspect that you are correct because those are one patrol scenarios with no crew to carryover into the next patrol because there is no next patrol. :D

Fearless 11-17-18 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark bonamer (Post 2577785)
that's interesting.
that has not been my experience.
wait a minute. were you referring to a career-game-save or a war patrol/mission game save?
i was thinking in reference to a career-game-save. once you change those values, they stay with the crewman until he dies or you transfer him or your career ends.
if you are referring to a war patrol/mission game save, then i suspect that you are correct because those are one patrol scenarios with no crew to carryover into the next patrol because there is no next patrol. :D

This happens in my career-game saves.

Bleiente 11-17-18 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearless (Post 2577668)
I presume than that they will spot the ship a lot earlier.

Right - if properly balanced, the team sees as well as the player himself. :yep:
I think I did quite well in Ralles ModPack.

But as noted, the values can vary depending on the environment used and playable surface units then make it really criminal.

KaleunMarco 11-17-18 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearless (Post 2577787)
This happens in my career-game saves.

that is not the same experience i have had.