SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   JSGME MOD Enabler Dumb Q (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=113304)

gapman 04-26-07 04:54 PM

JSGME MOD Enabler Dumb Q

I downloaded the above mod installer, but I can't figure out how it works(BIG NOOB Q-SORRY). What are the excact steps you use after downloading a RAR file to get it in the JSGME installer-then what do you do ? Thanks a lot for your help.

SteamWake 04-26-07 05:05 PM

there is a very comprehensive readme that comes with it that answers all of your questions.

Unzip it somewhere and read that.

Here is a website how to http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?p=1009484

It refers to Rome total war but should help some.

Monica Lewinsky 04-26-07 08:35 PM

Gapman,

You live 90 miles north of me. Send me a PM. I give you my cell # to help you out. It's easy. [Cheese Head].:D

Karl-Heinz Jaeger 04-26-07 09:44 PM

All credit to JScones for his mod tool, but I have never been able to get it to work :(

I follow each instruction to the letter and still no dice. Not to suggest anything about someone else, but I am fairly experienced with modding games and even so, I feel like a dumb newbie when it comes to JSGME.

Monica Lewinsky 04-27-07 12:37 PM

This might help Karl-Heinz

This is a edited version of a PM to Gapman that I sent him. It might help you? Basically I removed my cell #. :lol:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Now to your problem of being "STUCK"
This is how I handle RAR files [They are a major pain in the ass - wish they would use the ZIP format] Anyway:

Go to this website and download the program called ExtractNow. It makes unpacking RAR files EASY to work with. here you go - the download link is WAY at the bottom of the page:

http://www.extractnow.com/

Next, I assume, you downloaded and installed JSGME correctly. In order to prepare to use the mods >>> YOU <<< have to manually create a folder spelled exactly as "Mods" in to root folder of the game. So that means you need to create the folder at:

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific

Go there, by clicking from your My Computer icon by clicking

"My Computer", then,

C: Local hard drive, open it,

click on: Program Files folder,

click on: Ubisoft folder,

click on: Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific folder

This is where you create the "Mods" folder. Upper/lower case DON'T matter, just spell it right.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Now switching to RAR files

I download the mods to my XP desktop.

I start the program ExtractNow

I drag and drop the RAR file into the ExtractNow program window. After you do that, a button lights up labled "EXTRACT". Click it and it automatically creates a folder on your desktop.

The next step consists of dragging and dropping the mod folder created into the "Mods" folder.

Fire up JSGME and it becomes obvious of what to do to activate it. You click on the mod, there is an arrow facing the right to active it in the right window, that's it!

> A WORD OF CAUTION<
Some of these mods were not compacted correctly. Mods need to follow the folder order of:
\mod name\data.

That location of that data folder is critical on EACH and EVERY mod. I am going to make up an FAKE example of what happened to me. They become a folder within a folder and the DATA folder is not the 2nd level down. I downloaded the Super Sounds Map Pack and at first it did not work and said hmmmm, them other mods work fine on the first try.

Here is the WRONG way of folder levels:
C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\Mods\Super Sounds Map Pack\Super Sounds Map Pack\data

Here is the RIGHT way:
C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\Mods\Super Sounds Map Pack\data

I have found that the repeating of the mod name twice from extracting it comes from the author that put it together maybe?

Final advice. If and when there is a new patch, DON'T install the patch! Fire up JSGME first and disable all mods so your SH4 is back to a unmodified state. THEN APPLY the new patch. With the new patch, active your mods ONE AT A TIME. Test your game that is ok, go back out of the game, add the next one.

When the 1.2 patch came out, This procedure saved me a TON of time. About one-third made the game not even load and I junked them and waited for a fix.

Hope this helped - bill is in the mail! :D

Monica Lewinsky 05-01-07 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gapman
I downloaded the above mod installer, but I can't figure out how it works(BIG NOOB Q-SORRY). What are the excact steps you use after downloading a RAR file to get it in the JSGME installer-then what do you do ? Thanks a lot for your help.

Well, does it work now?

JScones 05-02-07 04:29 AM

There used to be a good set of instructions in the UBI SH3 Help forum - visual with screenshots and everything. Seems to have disappeared though, which is a shame. :(

danlisa 05-02-07 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JScones
There used to be a good set of instructions in the UBI SH3 Help forum - visual with screenshots and everything. Seems to have disappeared though, which is a shame. :(

Here's your pretty pictures.;)
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/t...3?r=3031058373

TDK1044 05-02-07 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monica Lewinsky

Next, I assume, you downloaded and installed JSGME correctly. In order to prepare to use the mods >>> YOU <<< have to manually create a folder spelled exactly as "Mods" in to root folder of the game. So that means you need to create the folder at:

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific

Go there, by clicking from your My Computer icon by clicking

"My Computer", then,

C: Local hard drive, open it,

click on: Program Files folder,

click on: Ubisoft folder,

click on: Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific folder

This is where you create the "Mods" folder. Upper/lower case DON'T matter, just spell it right.

:D

When I downloaded JSGME, it created its own 'MODS' folder. I simply created a shortcut of that folder on my Desktop. I already had a folder on the Desktop called 'MOD DOWNLOADS'. Each time I download a mod, I extract it within the 'MODS DOWNLOADS' folder and then drag and drop it into the MODS shortcut folder. Works like a charm. I'm running 8 mods with no issues.

banjo 05-03-07 12:47 PM

I am another experienced player that thinks Jsgme is to complicated to mess with. I have downloaded it a few times but when I read the complicated and unclear instructions and the 5 steps you have to do to install I choose not to use. I don't want to deal with a re-install because I mess up use of this modder.

Example: the first instruction in the readme is to 'Install" in your games root directory. Does that mean 'extract' to that directory? That's an example of the unclear instructions IMHO. No offense....

TDK1044 05-03-07 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banjo
I am another experienced player that thinks Jsgme is to complicated to mess with. I have downloaded it a few times but when I read the complicated and unclear instructions and the 5 steps you have to do to install I choose not to use. I don't want to deal with a re-install because I mess up use of this modder.

Example: the first instruction in the readme is to 'Install" in your games root directory. Does that mean 'extract' to that directory? That's an example of the unclear instructions IMHO. No offense....

Honestly, all you have to do is download JSGME to C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific

Then right click on the 'MODS' folder that it already created and select the option 'create desktop shortcut'. Do the same for the JSGME icon. You can now download your mods to any folder that you choose on your system and then select the option 'extract here'. Once the file is extracted, drag it to the 'MODS' folder.

That's all you have to do. Your mod is ready to be activated. Double click on the JSGME icon on your desktop and you'll see you mod sitting there ready for activation.

banjo 05-03-07 01:58 PM

So what you really mean is--download it to a folder, then go to that folder and EXTRACT it to Silent Hunter. Right?

TDK1044 05-03-07 02:12 PM

I download to my folder called 'mods download' on my desktop. I then extract the downloaded mod into the same 'mods download' folder using the 'extract here' option. Then I drag the new extracted file to my 'MODS' folder on my desktop and drop it in there. Technically the mod is going to the root directory of SH4, because the 'MODS' folder on my desktop is just a shortcut.

My point is that once you've downloaded the JSGME, you can do all the download and activation work just on your desktop using your designated download folder, the 'MODS' folder shortcut and the JSGME shortcut.

I downloaded 8 mods and did everything on my desktop using the above method. All 8 run perfectly within SH4.

danlisa 05-04-07 02:57 AM

:o WOW - JSGME Is one of the easiest applications to use.

1)Download JSGME_Setup (http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products/jsgme_setup.exe)
2)Double Click & Run
3)Follow the installers instructions & direct the installation path to the game of your choice. (i.e c:\program files\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4) That is the ROOT directory.
4)The installer will ask you if you want a desktop shortcut - WHY NOT?

When the installer is finished you will find 4 extra files in your SH4 folder, these are.....
Jonesoft.txt
JSGMEhelp.txt
JSGME Example.jpg
JSGME.exe

5)Double click on the JSGME.exe file, this will create the MODS folder.

That completes the setup of JSGME.

When you have a mod you want to activate in your game, follow this proceedure.

1)Download Mod
2)Extract Mod to holding folder.
3)Copy the additional Mod to the MODS folder in SH4's ROOT Directory.

MAKES SURE THE FOLDER STRUCTURE FOR YOUR ADDITIONAL MOD IS AS FOLLOWS.......

New Mod > data > etc etc NOT New Mod > New Mod > data > etc etc

During the extraction process an extra folder can be created.;)

Now, all you need to do is use the shortcut on the desktop and open JSGME's ui menu. On the left you will see the available MODS and on the right you will see already activated MODS. To activate a MOD, click on it and press the button that points to the right, your mod will now move to the right. It is activated. Do the reverse for deactivation.:up::up:

I really hope this helps because if it doesn't, it's time to return your PC for a refund.:rotfl::rotfl:

DaMaGe007 05-04-07 03:03 AM

also once you run jsgme for the first time to create the mods folder, you should generate a snapshot of the games files using the tasks menu.