SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Classic Subsims (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Command Aces of the Deep install probs on XP (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=131699)

bigpanda16 02-26-08 04:52 AM

Command Aces of the Deep install probs on XP

As stated, I'm pulling my hair out, I am no cimputer expert, but i have done tons of research on this subject.
I have installed and run DOSBox and D-Fend, yada yada, im there.
I've "mounted" my cd-rom drive(E)(and created a folder in MyDocuments), but do not know the EXACT COMMAND to get it to run.
I used to play this when i was younger, had a yearning, bought it off amazon, and have been extremely disapointed so far.
when i type: E:\"AODCD.EXE"
it responds- this program must be run under Win32
please someone help me, i wanna sink some boats

FERdeBOER 02-26-08 07:38 AM

If I remember well, Command Aces of the Deep is for windows only, not for DOS.
Try setting your desktop color to 256 and then run the game as a normal windows program.

bigpanda16 02-26-08 12:56 PM

yes, it went well until the system/sound test, then
FAIL/error
integer 0...
Computers make want to break things.

bigpanda16 02-26-08 08:32 PM

integer divide by 0
thats what it said.
i have got the sound going and can check out the main menu hear the music, but cant obviously go on missions because i can't get it installed...Assert::assert_log:Cannot open lof file.
blast this S

ChristopherT 02-27-08 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpanda16
integer divide by 0
thats what it said.
i have got the sound going and can check out the main menu hear the music, but cant obviously go on missions because i can't get it installed...Assert::assert_log:Cannot open lof file.
blast this S

Command Aces of the Deep runs fine under Win98. The only caveat is that I have to set my desktop to 256 colors before starting the game. I would suggest trying to run the program under WinXP after setting it to Win98 compatibility. My sound card got reassigned when I reinstalled Win98 without removing my PCI NIC card. I tried running Dosbox so I could assign proper Soundblaster support to some of my older games and that didn't work well!

Christopher

bigpanda16 02-27-08 07:45 PM

what i suppose i should ask next is,
what aspects(and how) do i change to get xp setup like 98?
i am about to try to run some discarded computer with win98 sticker on the front, hopefully it doesnt have viruses...
thanks for the help it means the world to me to have this game operational.
any pointers in the path of righteousneess would be greatly appriciated.

(edit) that computer was for sure discarded for a reason...sux

Onkel Neal 02-28-08 11:33 PM

Panda, be sure to check through these tips, some of that stuff may help.
http://www.subsim.com/tips/tipaod.php

Hitman 03-01-08 10:19 AM

OK, let's make some things clear first:

A) Dosbox is used for running under a Windows XP environment games that were originally designed for DOS and working only in that environment. As such, this applies to the original version of "Aces of the Deep" and its expansion disks.

Dos box however is NOT indicated to run programs that are created for a Windows 95-98 environment.

B) The game you bought is apparently "Command: Aces of the Deep" i.e. the revised later version created for Windows 95-98. As such, it will NOT run in Dosbox, and it *might* run in Windows XP.

Can you clarify first exactly which version have you bought? A screenshot of the contents of your CD might help being able to tell you what you must do. :up:

Nippelspanner 12-03-09 08:12 AM

There is a simple workaround I found out just a second ago (ordered CAOTD from Amazon).

When you launch the Setup.exe, he will ask you for a system check - click no! The Setup continous and the error will not appear! ;)

Now I just hope it will run fine on WinXP...