SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SHIII Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   Realism- and gameplay-related hardcode fixes for SH3.EXE (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=174225)

h.sie 09-14-10 07:06 AM

ok :)

SquareSteelBar 09-14-10 07:37 AM

Go on to wake up the lazy WO... ;)

h.sie 09-14-10 08:02 AM

@privateer: Sorry, it took more than a week for me to understand what you meant when you wrote "You'd waste your time patching the starforced exe" or similar.

LGN1 09-14-10 08:10 AM

If I correctly understood privateer in some older posts and PMs, he means the cracked starforce exe. Using the original starforce exe from Ubi with DVD... is fine.

So, as I understand it:

-original/official starforce exe: fine
-cracked starforce exe (mentioned in Neal's post about playing without DVD): buggy
-official non-starforce exe: fine

h.sie 09-14-10 08:30 AM

Thanks LGN1, for the clarification.

That means: Adding longer repair times to the cracked SF-version does not make sense since it's instable.

And since I don't want to install starforce drivers on my PC, I also cannot add longer repair times to uncracked SF-version.

So for the SF-version users there remain 3 options to use my longer repair times mod:

1) buy NON-SF version for some bucks.

2) find a person who has both versions (SF and NON-SF) and creates a "transformation-kit", that changes the SF-version into the NON-SF-version using the bsdiff/bspatch utils as described in the former posts here...

3) wait for christmas. maybe.....

LGN1 09-14-10 08:40 AM

At least, that's how I understand privateer's last post in this thread:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom//sho...d.php?t=164230

SquareSteelBar 09-14-10 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h.sie (Post 1492700)
...2) find a person who has both versions (SF and NON-SF) and creates a "transformation-kit", that changes the SF-version into the NON-SF-version using the bsdiff/bspatch utils as described in the former posts here...

I'm afraid I haven't got the sense of that action yet. :06:

The result is the same thing like copying the non-sf files from the 'owner of both versions' to the 'owner of only sf files'...

h.sie 09-14-10 09:37 AM

@SSB: Yes, the result is the same. But copying is not a very nice word.

Copying is software duplication. Patching or "transforming" not.

I have no problem to upload patches/corrections for free download, but I'd never upload exe's, but maybe I'm a little bit old-fashioned.

:hmmm:

SquareSteelBar 09-14-10 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h.sie (Post 1492759)
@SSB: Yes, the result is the same. But copying is not a very nice word.
I have no problem to upload patches/corrections for free download, but I'd never upload exe's, but maybe I'm a little bit old-fashioned.

:hmmm:

A heavy case of paranoia... ;)

I think it's no difference what type of file is modded. As I already mentioned here: the intention is decisive...

SH3 includes more than 20,000 files and every single file is copyrighted.
Since more than five years we change these files even by hex editing dat files etc.
If UBI was annoyed of that this forum didn't exist anymore...

Another aspect is: there seems to be no problem if the owner of a legal SH3 [with SF] copies noDVD files [even cracked files] to his machine [described here by Uncle Neal himself]...

It's a good idea to contact Uncle Neal for this...

Rubini 09-14-10 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SquareSteelBar (Post 1492788)
A heavy case of paranoia... ;)

I think it's no difference what type of file is modded. As I already mentioned here: the intention is decisive...

SH3 includes more than 20,000 files and every single file is copyrighted.
Since more than five years we change these files even by hex editing dat files etc.
If UBI was annoyed of that this forum didn't exist anymore...

Another aspect is: there seems to be no problem if the owner of a legal SH3 [with SF] copies noDVD files [even cracked files] to his machine [described here by Uncle Neal himself]...

It's a good idea to contact Uncle Neal for this...

Yes, after reading uncle's Neal post about how unofficial starforce patch becomes legal by UBI itself (link above) probably you can share the coursed file directly. Obviously after contact Neal first.

Now go back to work, this mod is really an fresh air for Sh3!:up:

LGN1 09-14-10 11:23 AM

...but there's nowhere a link to the modified exe/files. Instead it says explicitly: 'Do not post links in this forum'

It seems to be only 'half-legal'.

SquareSteelBar 09-14-10 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LGN1 (Post 1492878)
...It seems to be only 'half-legal'.

Therefore I wrote that's a good idea to contact Uncle Neal in advance...

LGN1 09-14-10 02:16 PM

It would be great if Neal could make a statement about the whole issue. It's a bit absurd.

Anyway, back to some modding stuff: I tested the submerged endurance of some boats in game. Here are the results:

IIA: 30h
VIIC: 36h
IXB/IXD2: 40h
XXI: 46h

I could not observe any difference between a crew with max. number of men and with min. number of man (tested it only with the VIIC). In addition, I could not observe any effect from silent running. I guess good numbers would be:

II: ?
VII: 72h
IX: 72h
XXI: 150h

It would be great if 'silent running' changed these times, e.g., without silent running the time would be only x percent of the max. time.

Cheers, LGN1

h.sie 09-14-10 03:33 PM

I'll contact Neal. Indeed an absurd situation.

In the meantime I could locate the routines which are responsible for the "nearest visual contact" output. Now they have to be optimised. Currently thinking about how to program that in an easy-to-do and realistic-looking way. Any suggestions? Should I only make the range more inaccurate or also the bearing ?

h.sie

LGN1 09-14-10 03:49 PM

Great news, h.sie :up:

Maybe the bearing accurate up to 10 degrees and the distance up to 1000m :06: