SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SHIII Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   Realism- and gameplay-related hardcode fixes for SH3.EXE (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=174225)

h.sie 02-07-11 02:43 AM

@Tessa: Additionally: Since I didn't change the savegame's filestructure or game objects, savegames are compatible to either patched and unpatched sh3.exe. So you can create a savegame with unpatched sh3.exe and load it with patched sh3.exe - and the other way around. This could help to isolate the cause of the problem.

Isolating the cause of the problem and making a reliable conclusion additionally requires a clean, unmodded sh3+GWX/NYGM. Only under these circumstances the influence of other factors can be eliminated and thus a reliable conclusion is possible.

Stiebler 02-07-11 04:29 AM

@Tessa:

SH3 has always possessed an unreliable game-save system.

It is widely recognised that it is unsafe to save any game when any other unit is within spawning distance, or within 30km of land or a base.

Two convoys spawning together close to your U-boat also result in long-term problems for saving games, even if you do not make the game-save until you are well away from the convoys.

Some people recommend also that you never save a game when submerged. I have not had this problem myself (unless one of the other problems was also present).

The game-saves you mentioned above break at least two of the above rules.

And finally there is always the difficulty that one of your installed mods may be interfering with another. But changes that H.sie has made should have no effect at all on game-saves, as H.sie has explained above.

Stiebler.

h.sie 02-07-11 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SquareSteelBar (Post 1591641)
:up:

What did you do - did you threaten him with demotion?

No, I did threaten him with demolition.

fitzcarraldo 02-07-11 05:48 AM

No problems with saved games (for now).

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo :salute:

SquareSteelBar 02-07-11 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h.sie (Post 1592262)
No, I did threaten him with demolition.

Ah...I understand, Cpt. Bligh. ;)

Tessa 02-08-11 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stiebler (Post 1592253)
@Tessa:

SH3 has always possessed an unreliable game-save system.

It is widely recognised that it is unsafe to save any game when any other unit is within spawning distance, or within 30km of land or a base.

Two convoys spawning together close to your U-boat also result in long-term problems for saving games, even if you do not make the game-save until you are well away from the convoys.

Some people recommend also that you never save a game when submerged. I have not had this problem myself (unless one of the other problems was also present).

The game-saves you mentioned above break at least two of the above rules.

And finally there is always the difficulty that one of your installed mods may be interfering with another. But changes that H.sie has made should have no effect at all on game-saves, as H.sie has explained above.

Stiebler.

I've been playing long enough (5 years) to know all the scenarios which can screw up your savegames. With this new patch completely breaking some scenarios that previously would have a 100% ctd rate loading to a perfectly stable game was perplexing to say the least. Sometimes 'life happens' and you are left with no option but to save the game wherever you are, even if you know its a bad idea but something irl forces you to leave the game or shut the machine down.

Largely I was wondering if anyone else had experienced any of the same scenarios I am now to potentially debug/figure out the crux of the problem. I know h.sie didn't purposely mess with any part that governs the saving process, though it has had a noticeable effect on me since enabling this particular mod. Long as I don't have to turn my machine off its great!

h.sie 02-08-11 03:24 AM

@Tessa: It seems to be a language problem. I cannot understand from your words wheater the situation is better or worse now with the patch. But it's my fault, since I'm not native english. Please use some simple to understand words.

"With this new patch completely breaking some scenarios that previously would have a 100% ctd rate loading to a perfectly stable game was perplexing to say the least."

This sounds for me that the situation now is better than before.

Important: Are you talking about V15E or also about V15D??

Silent Ace 02-09-11 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h.sie (Post 1591635)
I am slightly optimistic that in the near future the lazy 1WO will move automatically on the bridge when boat surfaces.

and finally to make it right
Thank you h.sie

h.sie 02-19-11 10:48 AM

@EXPERTS:

I found out that the quick-diving-tank can be emptied by ordering "blow ballast", even if the supply of compressed air is empty and the boat is submerged and 150m deep. How can this be historically explained? Or is that a bug?

This gives the sub a little positive buoyancy, enough to surface slowly. I did not test if the bouyancy is still sufficient to surface if there are compartments flooded.

h.sie

LGN1 02-20-11 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h.sie (Post 1601047)
@EXPERTS:

I found out that the quick-diving-tank can be emptied by ordering "blow ballast", even if the supply of compressed air is empty and the boat is submerged and 150m deep. How can this be historically explained? Or is that a bug?

This gives the sub a little positive buoyancy, enough to surface slowly. I did not test if the bouyancy is still sufficient to surface if there are compartments flooded.

h.sie

Hi h.sie,

as far as I know the quick diving tank (Untertriebszelle) could only be emptied with compressed air. However, all other tanks could be emptied also by the pumps (Lenz- + Hilfslenzpumpe). Therefore, I think it should be possible to surface the boat without any speed and compressed air.

In other words, although it's not accurate that you can empty the quick diving tank without compressed air, I think the resulting effect in game is realistic (except if your pumps are destroyed). With a working pump there should be a way to surface the boat without speed and compressed air.

Anyway, if your engines are damaged/destroyed and your compressed air is used up, you are probably anyway doomed because you probably have heavy floodings,...

Cheers, LGN1

h.sie 02-20-11 11:25 AM

Little Update V15E2 available.

What's new?

1) The lazy 1WO now automatically moves to the bridge when surfacing.

If there is an Officer in the Bow-Quarters he will move to the bridge. If not, an Officer from the Stern-Quarters will be moved up. If the Turm is critically damaged or destroyed, no Officer will be moved up.

2) Stieblers comfortable HsieOptionsSelector.exe

After patching sh3.exe to V15E, one can now use Stieblers cool Selector Tool to individually enable/disable some of the fixes. Even the 4GB-patch can be applied with his Selector!! Thank you very much, Stiebler!!

The V15E2-Patch-Kit also contains a README.doc Quick-Manual that describes all steps how to patch and configure the patches.

h.sie

fitzcarraldo 02-20-11 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h.sie (Post 1601618)

What's new?

If there is an Officer in the Bow-Quartes he will move to the bridge. If not, an Officer from the Stern-Quarters will be moved up. If the Turm is critically damaged or destroyed, no Officer will be moved up.

After patching sh3.exe to V15E, one can now use Stieblers cool Selector Tool to individually enable/disable some of the fixes. Even the 4GB-patch can be applied with his Selector!! Thank you very much, Stiebler!!

The V15E2-Patch-Kit also contains a README.doc Quick-Manual that describes all steps how to patch and configure the patches.

h.sie

Many thanks for all your work!!!

Fitzcarraldo :salute:

LGN1 02-20-11 01:19 PM

Great work as usual, h.sie & Stiebler! Thanks for your efforts! :up:

ryanwigginton 02-20-11 02:11 PM

Awesome! Now... if only it was compatible with my sh3.exe :hmmm:

Magic1111 02-20-11 02:31 PM

Quote:

What's new?

If there is an Officer in the Bow-Quartes he will move to the bridge. If not, an Officer from the Stern-Quarters will be moved up. If the Turm is critically damaged or destroyed, no Officer will be moved up.

h.sie

Wonderful, great work !

Thanks to h.sie & stiebler !!! :yeah:

Best regards,
Magic

brett25 02-20-11 03:09 PM

excellent work, mate:woot:

So we just disable the repair option to play NYGM?

Victor Schutze 02-20-11 03:59 PM

Quote:

What's new?

h.sie

Awesome news!:rock:

h.sie 02-20-11 04:41 PM

Thanks, guys!

@brett: Yes, simply disable Repairs Option for NYGM compatibility.

@ALL: Any others having savegame/reload problems like Tessa?

h.sie 02-20-11 05:43 PM

Hi Sailor Steve,

Je oller je doller (old german say).

Look at Folder "SH3-Bugfixes".

Greeetings,
h.sie

Sailor Steve 02-20-11 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h.sie (Post 1601855)
Hi Sailor Steve,

Je oller je doller (old german say).

Look at Folder "SH3-Bugfixes".

Greeetings,
h.sie

Guess I didn't zap my post fast enough. :oops:
:rotfl2: