SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Questions before buying (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=237747)

Brett Sinclair 06-09-18 11:32 AM

Questions before buying

Hi guys,

There are two question I have (so far):
- I prefer Steam as a platform. Is there any difference between the (Uplay and Steam) versions?
- I suppose SH III "needs" mods, e. g. GWX and LSH. What are the differences?
Thank you:Kaleun_Salute:!

Best,
Brett

XenonSurf 06-09-18 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett Sinclair (Post 2556719)
Hi guys,
- I prefer Steam as a platform...

Really? I prefer no platform at all :salute:

Everytime extensive mods are needed for a game (which applies to SH3) I will stay away from Steam, Uplay or other DRMs if possible, just because I will not be flexible to make game changes.

While this is impossible for SH5, you can find such versions for SH3 I think. I own the DVD version of SH3, if you can get this one on eBay or Amazon etc. pick it up, then find the patch to remove the old Starforce DRM and patch the game to the latest version. See the stickies.

If you are lucky you can find SH3 included in a cheap gamepack sold on DVD without Steam.

Differences GWX / LSH3:

LSH3 is more eye-candy and you need a fast computer, while GWX focus on a lot of campaign scenarios where you go around all the world meeting almost all historical battles. There is WAC megamod which also needs a fast computer with 8GB RAM at least.

Brett Sinclair 06-09-18 05:12 PM

Thank you mate!

Best,
Brett

THEBERBSTER 06-09-18 05:23 PM

Hi Brett
STEAM installs into the Program files (x86) directory by default which in its self can be problematic as it is restrictive and does not like changes being made to it.
This can cause a problem because making changes to JSGME and STEAM's involvement.
There is always of course the option of using a STEAM conversion.

Downloads have a tendency not to give you the latest version and you may have to patch your game to make it complient.

DVD's are not a problem as long as you know what you are looking for and can be picked up quite cheaply on sites like Ebay.
Unlike a download a DVD is solid matter and you actually own something you can see.
Check this out as it explains everything.
Post#58 Buying A SHIII DVD > Read This First > Important Information

Whatever you plump for remember you only need to install it once.
You only need to make a copy of the original installation, rename it, add MultuSH3 and you can play as many different version of SH3 as you want.
Peter

Brett Sinclair 06-10-18 05:49 AM

Thank you!

Thankfully, I have Steam installed in a custom directory anyway.

Best,
Brett