SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 5 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   I am curious about (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=241486)

Mowgli 06-13-19 03:30 AM

I am curious about

Could someone please put me straight on the following questions please?

1. I read that every time I order my crew to the deck gun my watch officer loses moral. Is this true?

2. I also read that if I load a game save that I initiated that also affects moral. Is this true?

3. Can my crew gain experience by carrying out drill crash dives, etc?

4. If I switch off one engine on the surface can I still recharge my batteries?

5. Does switching to one engine save much fuel?

Thanks in advance

vdr1981 06-13-19 04:08 AM

1. I read that every time I order my crew to the deck gun my watch officer loses moral. Is this true?
Of course not...

2. I also read that if I load a game save that I initiated that also affects moral. Is this true?
I never noticed that. Where did you read that?

3. Can my crew gain experience by carrying out drill crash dives, etc?
Not really...

Engine/shafts selector is mostly just a demonstration of TDW's modding abilities. There isn't much use of it in normal gameplay...:yep:

bstanko6 06-13-19 04:54 AM

I can speak for the one shaft engines. It does seem you save fuel when using them!

I’ve tested this on many patrols. The percentage of fuel does tend to go down less. How much... unknown but I’ve saved more fuel this way.

Again, I don’t know the specifics but I believe it does save fuel.

Mowgli 06-13-19 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bstanko6 (Post 2614008)
I can speak for the one shaft engines. It does seem you save fuel when using them!

I’ve tested this on many patrols. The percentage of fuel does tend to go down less. How much... unknown but I’ve saved more fuel this way.

Again, I don’t know the specifics but I believe it does save fuel.

I am watching all your videos, they are superb and it was one of those that prompted me to ask on the forum. I also downloaded your "Bible" to read on my nexus when on long patrols. Enjoying it. Still thinking about getting a dedicated clock - maybe a bit too hard core for me :)

XenonSurf 06-13-19 11:25 AM

If you swtich or automatically go into battery reloading mode, you should wait for the message 'battery reloading' in the message box, and the battery icon in the engineer dialogue option not blinking before you go higher than TC 64, otherwise batteries will not reload, this is a finesse of TDW modlist - and most likely also TWoS.

XenonSurf 06-23-19 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2613999)

Engine/shafts selector is mostly just a demonstration of TDW's modding abilities. There isn't much use of it in normal gameplay...:yep:

The shaft selectors must be good for something, for example:
If I get it right, if you press both icons (I use the SH3 dials, so it's left & right from my speed dial) then you should decouple the diesel engines from both propellers, and I wonder if you would run only with electric engines on surface. This would be a good scenario if your diesel engines are highly damaged , giving you more speed with the electric only ones while you have flooding impeding you to dive, although the idea is to accelerate the diesel repairs in this case, but I don't think the game is so smart to account for this. But if it works (running with electrics on surface) ... I would call that very useful in normal gameplay...Another chance to survive:salute:

And about recharging batteries:
Your engineer will automatically decouple 1 diesel engine from the propellers and use it for recharging if your sub goes at least at minimum speed on surface, and you can also be at 0 speed and give this order yourself, choose Engineer icon > Propulsion > Battery icon. In all cases the recharge speed is the same (so you better keep moving!).

Good hunting,
XS