SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   ubisoft's activation (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=212324)

Nunya 03-30-14 08:56 AM

ubisoft's activation

Hey guys...it has been a while. I'm hoping this forum is still as active and helpful as it once was.....you guys have always seemed much smarter than anybody that works at ubisoft.

So, here is my problem: Kids are grown up and gone....wife is out of town. I have Sunday morning to myself.....prime computer time! I thought it would be nice to play a little SH4 again. Installed it yesterday so that the game would be ready to play early Sunday morning....only to be reminded about ubisoft's piece of dung activation system.

I have the CD code on the back of my game manual, but that seems to do nothing. I sent a ticket into ubisoft, but I do not have high hopes that I will get a response for days (or longer?). I'm betting the serial # that the activation program is requesting is in an email that may or may not still be on my work computer that I will not get to until tomorrow.

I'm sure that this game is so old that it can probably be found on ebay for cheap. Was anything ever done to bypass (legally, of course) the activation system?

If I have lost any email ubisoft might have sent me with the serial number on it, will their support still help me? I did a digital download of SH5. Will I be able to retrieve that? I can't remember my username and password at ubisoft, but I might have a record of it...on my work computer.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Admiral Halsey 03-30-14 09:03 AM

I know for a fact the gold version of SH4 doesn't have any activation stuff on it at all.

Nunya 03-30-14 09:08 AM

Lol...well, that doesn't help me much at the moment. I do appreciate the fast response though! How the heck have you been Halsey? Haven't you been around longer than 2013?

I bought the game when it first came out, so it is not the gold version.

Admiral Halsey 03-30-14 10:18 AM

Nah i've only been around since 2013. Took me a bit longer to start regularly posting on the forums. So you only have the version that you could buy when it first came out? That also wouldn't do you much good since almost every super mod is for version 1.5 and you can only get that by buying the U-Boat expansion.(Yes UBI basically made us pay for a patch.)

Nunya 03-30-14 10:40 AM

I do have the U-Boat add on already. Also bought when it first came out, so I have 1.5. I also have all of the mods I use to run (including a small one I made), but I don't know if I'm going to use them or not. Right now, I would just like to play the game.

LCQ_SH 03-30-14 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunya (Post 2192063)
I do have the U-Boat add on already. Also bought when it first came out, so I have 1.5. I also have all of the mods I use to run (including a small one I made), but I don't know if I'm going to use them or not. Right now, I would just like to play the game.

beware....I'll give no more than three days to a moderator to "warn you" becauseof the "special characters"you have just used........ extremist, I know....but.....well, you'll see xD.

Good luck with your situation. :salute:

cdrsubron7 03-30-14 12:40 PM

Just wondering, did you try running just the original version of SH4 before installing the UBM? Did you get the same message about the activation code? Just thinking that it might be the UBM causing the problem instead of the original
SH4. Because I've never had that problem when using the two of them in conjuction, of course that was a few years ago. :D

Nunya 03-30-14 01:15 PM

No, I installed the add-on right after the main program. I don't think that is the issue, as I seem to remember that the activation code and the CD code are two separate things....and I may no longer have the activation code. I'll see what support says. If I do not get help from them, I will re-install and see if the add-on is the problem.

I apologize for the symbols....didn't know that it was a no-no. I thought it would be better served to use symbols to express how I felt instead of actual words. If I used words, I'm sure that would have a high chance of getting me perma-banned.

Nunya 03-30-14 01:55 PM

Update:

cdrsubron7 made me think that I may have gotten a separate code for U-Boats. low and behold I was and I was smart enough to burn it onto the CD.

Unfortunately, when I entered it, I received a message that said the code has already been used :/\\!! (no kidding, I used it 6 years ago).

I'm going to uninstall/re-install, and try to use the CD code for the main game prior to installing the U-Boat add-on as cdrsuborn7 suggested.

cdrsubron7 03-30-14 02:34 PM

I knew I'd seen this over the the Ubi Forums. Don't know if this will help any, but it's worth a try. :up:

Nunya 03-30-14 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 (Post 2192170)
I knew I'd seen this over the the Ubi Forums. Don't know if this will help any, but it's worth a try. :up:

Thank You cdrsubron7. That was very useful, but I was already on top of it from your other post.

I re-installed just the main program and I can play it as long as I have the CD in....no activation. Luckily my CD is in decent shape as I kept it in the box it came in. I'm downloading 1.4 as I type and will deal with the U-boat add-on to bring it to 1.5 after I get a chance to see if I have the email receipt for it....or tech support helps. I did hear back from them and they said the code should still work. However, when I enter the Uboat code it says that it has already been used.

Thanks again for all that helped (and especially to you cdrsubron7). Even though I wasn't able to play subs this morning, I did get some tanks driven and some planes flown. Maybe this afternoon I can go underwater and become a Land, Air, and Sea menace.

cdrsubron7 03-30-14 03:37 PM

Happy to be of service, Nunya. :salute:

merc4ulfate 03-30-14 09:24 PM

I just reinstalled mine and didn't see a thing about activation.

Admiral8Q 03-30-14 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merc4ulfate (Post 2192312)
I just reinstalled mine and didn't see a thing about activation.

I agree. When I had my cd versions, it only asked for a cd-key. It should have nothing to do with any online stuff if it's a hard-copy. :hmmm:

depthtok33l 04-01-14 03:26 AM

Hello. If you have a few bucks to spare, get it on Steam. I know that many skippers here are against that but if you really, really, really want to play it right now you might want to consider that.

If you do decide to get it on Steam, keep in mind that the stock game will be separate from the U-boat missions so you are going to have to purchase them both as the stock game on Steam isn't updated to 1.4

http://store.steampowered.com/app/15200/ - Silent Hunter 4
http://store.steampowered.com/app/15240/- - U-boat Missions Add-on