SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SHIII Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   [REL] JSGME v2.6.0 now available! (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=156898)

JScones 10-03-09 08:38 PM

[REL] JSGME v2.6.0 now available!

DOWNLOAD JSGME here in SUBSIM Downloads

v2.6.0 Latest and last version

This is the JonesSoft Generic Mod Enabler, a vital program for installing and running mods for virtually any game. It lets you install with the click of a switch, warns you of potential conflicts and uninstall them again if you don't like them.

Changes:
- Now correctly handles mods that have = as part of the mod folder name
- Added ability to load and save mod profiles
- Added search facility
- Now defaults to "Start in" folder
- Confirmation dialog no longer appears when disabling all mods using the /da command line switch
- Modified layout of "Tasks" menu
- Removed sounds, apart from those connected to warnings or errors

The first change is a fix and the primary reason for this release. The remaining changes are enhancements that have been requested over the last year or so by general users.

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT ALL JSGME USERS UPDATE TO THIS LATEST VERSION! There are no benefits running an earlier version of JSGME.

INSTALLATION
If you intend installing over a copy of JSGME v2.x, you do not need to disable any existing mods; simply install directly over your current version.

If you intend installing over a copy of JSGME v1.x, you must disable all enabled mods before continuing. Not doing so will corrupt the running of JSGME and hence your game. Once you've disabled all mods (check your !BACKUP folder too for any residual files), simply install this version over the top and resume using as you normally do. If you have a lot of mods installed, create an activated mods list first so that you can remember the order in which to re-enable then.

If you use a language pack, please download the updated version from http://jonesoft.jaennahre.com. Note that some updated packs are not yet available - they will be uploaded as soon as possible. You can continue to use your current language pack in the meantime.

As always, please feel free to announce in other game forums...

AND REMEMBER - THE HELP FILE IS YOUR FRIEND!

JScones 10-03-09 08:38 PM

Some quick FAQs...

I AM RUNNING VISTA AND JSGME WON'T WORK!
The Help file is your friend:
Quote:

- MICROSOFT VISTA USERS: If you are running the Generic Mod Enabler on Vista and are having problems with mods "taking" (the usual symptom is that the MODS folder itself is not created when the Generic Mod Enabler is first run), then simply right-click JSGME.exe in Windows Explorer and select "Run as Administrator". Alternatively, right-click JSGME.exe and select "Properties". In the properties window select the "Compatibility" tab and check "Run this program in compatibility mode" and in the box below select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)". In some instances you may need to apply both solutions.
More fundamentally though, what are you doing still installing games into your Program Files folder? Stop it, NOW! ;)

DOES JSGME WORK UNDER WINDOWS 7?
Yes.

ARE THERE ANY USER GUIDES?
The included Help file is a great start. However, there's also numerous online visual guides. One I like is here... http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1773663

WILL THIS VERSION ALLOW ME TO USE ONE CENTRAL INSTALLATION OF JSGME?

Yes! With this version you can either install JSGME individually into each game (as you do now) or you can take advantage of the new "Start in" change, which allows you to install JSGME to a central location and point it to each of your games through creating shortcuts. To do this:
- install JSGME to a central location (it does not matter where). Keep the "Create a desktop icon" selected
- once installed, DO NOT RUN! Copy and paste the newly created JSGME desktop shortcut as many times as you have games and change the "Start in" folder of each shortcut to point to each game's base folder
- rename each shortcut to something meaningful, such as "JSGME - GWX", "JSGME - WAC", "JSGME - IL2" etc

Now just double-click the shortcut that corresponds to the game that you want to mod.

Mods are still stored within each game's MODS folder--just like now--but you only need to worry about one copy of JSGME.exe. Using JSGME with subsequently installed games simply means copying, pasting and editing an existing shortcut. And whenever JSGME is updated, you only need to install it once.

I WANT TO USE A CENTRAL INSTALLATION OF JSGME BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW TO CREATE SHORTCUTS. THE HELP FILE IS USELESS AND TELLS ME NOTHING!
The Help file only contains information on using JSGME. Creating shortcuts is a general computing skill, thus covered by your OS Help file. If you don't know how to create or edit shortcuts, then:

a) continue using JSGME as you always have, that is, installing individually into each game that you want to use it with; or
b) show your desktop, press F1 and follow the Microsoft Help instructions for creating shortcuts; or
c) Google "creating desktop shortcuts".

HOW DO I CREATE AND EDIT A SHORTCUT?
Show your desktop, press F1 and follow the Microsoft Help instructions for creating shortcuts. Alternatively, Google "creating desktop shortcuts". Resist the urge to ask in this thread.

WHAT'S A SHORTCUT?
I'm sure by now you've picked up where this is heading. ;)

DO I NEED TO DISABLE MODS BEFORE INSTALLING?

:stare: Read my first post again...carefully...

I CURRENTLY HAVE A MOD ENABLED THAT HAS AN "=" IN THE TITLE. WHAT SHOULD I DO?
Email me the details before you install the latest version of JSGME and I will guide you through the best way to salvage the situation. The manual workaround is fairly simple.

EVERYTIME I ENABLE THE "WHACKYDOO" MOD I GET A CTD. THIS IS OBVIOUSLY A JSGME BUG AS ALL OTHER 436 ENABLED MODS WORK PERFECTLY!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING ABOUT IT?
Nothing! I provide support for the mechanics and use of JSGME, I do not provide support for the specific mods that you apply through JSGME. If you have a problem with mod x overwriting mod y or mod z crashing your game, pls post elsewhere, like on the associated modder's release thread.

SH3CMDR KEEPS CRASHING MY GAME. WHY?
Erm, this is a JSGME-only thread.

WHAT'S STILL TO COME?

There's a few ideas I am toying with, primarily:
- adding ability to load/save mod profiles via command line switches (/l and /s)
- adding ability to remove folders
- adding ability to auto-disable subsequent mods when attempting to disable a "greyed out" mod
- adding option to compress the backup folder (I'm not sure this is worth it this day and age, but people still keep asking...)
- ignoring folders during conflict checking (I have this written down, but have no idea now what it's about)

Rapt0r56 10-03-09 09:04 PM

Great JS, we need a new sticky here.:up:
Quote:

- Added ability to load and save mod profiles
:rock:

Commander Gizmo 10-03-09 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JScones (Post 1183330)
- ignoring folders during conflict checking (I have this written down, but have no idea now what it's about)

Certain folders perhaps? Such as Gramaphone, Sound, etc. Should be an option of course if it should ever be added at all. Though, what's the point really?

Reece 10-03-09 11:19 PM

Thanks Jaesen!:up:

melnibonian 10-04-09 02:53 AM

Thanks Jaesen :up:

sergei 10-04-09 03:15 AM

Thanks for your hard work JScones. Been using this for years :up:

ETR3(SS) 10-04-09 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JScones (Post 1183330)

WILL THIS VERSION ALLOW ME TO USE ONE CENTRAL INSTALLATION OF JSGME?

Yes! With this version you can either install JSGME individually into each game (as you do now) or you can take advantage of the new "Start in" change, which allows you to install JSGME to a central location and point it to each of your games through creating shortcuts. To do this:
- install JSGME to a central location (it does not matter where). Keep the "Create a desktop icon" selected
- once installed, DO NOT RUN! Copy and paste the newly created JSGME desktop shortcut as many times as you have games and change the "Start in" folder of each shortcut to point to each game's base folder
- rename each shortcut to something meaningful, such as "JSGME - GWX", "JSGME - WAC", "JSGME - IL2" etc

Now just double-click the shortcut that corresponds to the game that you want to mod.

Mods are still stored within each game's MODS folder--just like now--but you only need to worry about one copy of JSGME.exe. Using JSGME with subsequently installed games simply means copying, pasting and editing an existing shortcut. And whenever JSGME is updated, you only need to install it once.

Best new feature IMHO. Thanks for the update! :yeah:

coronas 10-04-09 08:02 AM

Thanks again, JScones! :salute:

Jimbuna 10-04-09 09:10 AM

Nice one Jaesen http://www.psionguild.org/forums/ima...s/thumbsup.gif

piri_reis 10-04-09 10:24 AM

Thanks for this essential tool :up:

nikbear 10-04-09 10:37 AM

Thank you for all your hard work JScones:yeah: As always,installed and works like a charm:salute::salute::salute:One of the best.:03:

robbythesub 10-04-09 10:49 AM

Thanks again for your hard work and brilliant updating tool!

:up:

Carotio 10-04-09 11:52 AM

Thank you for this update.
I see you offer different language versions - not that I need it myself - but if you want a Danish version too, send me a message. I guess you have a list of words in a txt file, which needs to be replaced or how?

ryoga_77 10-04-09 12:29 PM

Thanks Jaesen:yeah: