SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SHIII Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   [REL] GWX3 Cfg files for SH3 Commander - easy installer (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=147567)

VikingGrandad 01-29-09 04:03 PM

[REL] GWX3 Cfg files for SH3 Commander - easy installer [v 1.2]

WHAT IS IT?
An easy-to-use installer for the Cfg files needed to run JScones' new SH3 Commander (version 3.2) with GWX3.

WHY?

Shortly after the release of GWX3, the GWX team made a handy Cfg files installer for what was then the final version of SH3 Commander...

...Then came the surprise announcement of the all-new SH3 Commander 3.2! :DL

Because one of the files in the previous Cfg installer does not work with SH3 Commander 3.2, a more complicated installation process was needed. (this process still applies if you run GWX 2.1, as detailed in JScones' installation instructions). :hmm2:

So I've made an easy-to-use installer that puts the required GWX3 Cfg files for SH3 Commander 3.2 in the right place, saving the hassle or confusion of having to install to a temporary folder, remove one of the files, then manually install the remaining files into SH3 Commander's Cfg folder. :88)

IMPORTANT NOTES:
  • You only need to use this installer if you want to run SH3 Commander 3.2 with GWX3.
  • This installer does not install SH3 Commander, just the special files (configuration files, or "Cfg files") that SH3 Commander 3.2 needs to work with GWX 3.0. You must install SH3 Commander 3.2 first!
  • If you've already followed JScones' original instructions for the previous Cfg files installer, you don't need to run this installer! (but if you ever need to re-install SH3 Commander 3.2 to run with GWX3, then this installer will save you time).
  • DO NOT use this installer if you're using any other version of SH3 Commander, any other version of GWX or any other supermod such as NYGM.
  • If you have more than one installation of SH3 Commander, make sure that the path presented in the 'Select Destination Location' screen is the installation you want to add the GWX3 Cfg files to.

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
:
  1. Download 'GWX3_SH3Cdr3.2Files_v1.2.exe' from my Filefront page and save it to your desktop (or wherever you want)
  2. Double-click on "GWX3_SH3Cdr3.2Files_v1.2.exe"
  3. Follow the simple step-by-step instructions to install the files
  4. You're done! :up:

TECHIE INFO:

The installer does the following:

1. Puts the following files into the Cfg directory
in your SH3 Commander directory
  • Menu variable_de.txt
  • Menu variable_en.txt
  • Menu variable_fr.txt
  • Randomised events.cfg
  • Ship displacements.cfg
  • U-boat availability.cfg

Puts 'GWX3 files readme.txt' into your SH3 Commander directory

That's all!

Big thanks to: Privateer, Jimbuna, bigboywooly, irish1958, Alex and JScones

Any questions, let me know.

Contact 01-29-09 04:30 PM

Got it, thanks :up:

Madox58 01-29-09 04:50 PM

Glad you took care of it Mate.
My system has been screwed for over a week now.
And could not take care of it.
:up:

harzfeld 01-29-09 04:56 PM

Curious, can commander 3.2 overwrite commander 3.0? I am currently running 3.0 I think, but wondering if I can easily install 3.2 like that without reinstall GWX3.0 & SH3? Can it overwrite any previous versions of commander?

bigboywooly 01-29-09 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harzfeld
Curious, can commander 3.2 overwrite commander 3.0? I am currently running 3.0 I think, but wondering if I can easily install 3.2 like that without reinstall GWX3.0 & SH3? Can it overwrite any previous versions of commander?

Yes AFAIK you can use the update button
Failing that running the new 3.2 will overwrite the old 3 install
Just remember to readd any necessary cfgs after - such as GWX , posted above lol or for NYGM

JScones 01-30-09 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harzfeld

Your questions are answered in the installer, assuming you read the "!!PLEASE READ BEFORE CONTINUING!!" screen. ;)

I have posted the full contents of this screen in my release thread (post #3).

@VG: I'll update my first post shortly.

BTW, just a suggestion, you guys making these GWX for SH3Cmdr file installers would make it MUCH easier for users if you didn't assume where they installed SH3Cmdr. It'd be much better to grab the *actual* path from the Registry and default to it. ;)

Jimbuna 01-30-09 09:07 AM

Nice piece of kit VG :up:

Just one small point/observation......it weren't me that built the CFG files installer :DL

VikingGrandad 01-31-09 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by privateer
Glad you took care of it Mate.
My system has been screwed for over a week now.
And could not take care of it.
:up:

My pleasure, Privateer. :up:

I hope you get your rig fixed soon!

VikingGrandad 01-31-09 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JScones
@VG: I'll update my first post shortly.

Thanks for doing that :up:

(just a very small point though, the link you added jumps to an anchor point further down this thread, rather than the first post...)

Quote:

BTW, just a suggestion, you guys making these GWX for SH3Cmdr file installers would make it MUCH easier for users if you didn't assume where they installed SH3Cmdr. It'd be much better to grab the *actual* path from the Registry and default to it. ;)

Good idea. I'll see if I can figure out how to do that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbuna
Nice piece of kit VG :up:

Just one small point/observation......it weren't me that built the CFG files installer :DL

@Jimbuna - noted! :salute:

Sorry, I assumed you'd made the installer as you posted the release thread...:doh:

I've updated my first post accordingly - and to reflect JScones' revised SH3 Commander installation instructions.

I've also clarified that my installer does not install SH3 Commander, following a misunderstanding by someone in the Ubi forum.

Thanks guys! :)

Vader 1 01-31-09 12:14 PM

Thanks again for making assess to this must have utlity possible

Vader

JScones 01-31-09 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VikingGrandad
(just a very small point though, the link you added jumps to an anchor point further down this thread, rather than the first post...)

I have no idea what you are talking about. :p2:

Quote:

Quote:

Good idea. I'll see if I can figure out how to do that.

Replace:
Code:

DefaultDirName={pf}\SH3 Commander
with
Code:

DefaultDirName={reg:HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SH3 Commander_is1,InstallLocation|{pf}\SH3 Commander}
This is the quick and simple solution. It looks for SH3 Commander's install path and defaults to "Program Files\SH3 Commander" only if an install path is not found.

Of course, the basic logic here is that if no install path is found, then it is safe to assume that SH3 Commander has not been installed. So, while the above will work, *I* would go one step further and check when the installer initialises whether SH3 Commander exists. If not, then a graceful error and exit. If so, continue on, defaulting to the found path, but still allowing the user to override it if they wish (ie in case they've installed multiple copies of SH3 Commander).

The original GWX installer does this wrt to the SH3 path (the latest ones don't) and likewise all my installers. It's a very basic and simple thing to do but makes a big difference to userability.

VikingGrandad 02-01-09 07:44 AM

Thanks JScones. I had an attempt at getting the install path from the registry to work yesterday, and uploaded a test version to my FF page that used:

Code:

DefaultDirName={reg:HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SH3 Commander_is1,InstallLocation}
That works, but of course the code you've posted is more flexible as it includes the extra bit for defaulting to the install path as a fallback, so I'll make a new .exe using that code.

Good to learn about these things. May come in handy for future projects! :)

VikingGrandad 02-01-09 08:32 AM

Thread updated - new version of the installer uploaded (NOTE - the Cfg files it installs have NOT changed)

Kpt. Lehmann 02-01-09 12:16 PM

Nice work VG!
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...rmee33ko01.gif

JScones 02-02-09 02:03 AM

Quote:

Good to learn about these things. May come in handy for future projects! :)

Microsoft has published (via the msdn) a set of installer/uninstaller standards. If you haven't seen them before, I'd recommend having a look. :yep: