SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   PC Hardware/Software forum (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Hardware/Software sub forum? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=143485)

Onkel Neal 10-23-08 01:44 AM

Hardware/Software sub forum?

Hmmm.... since we have a few threads on computer builds, and since computers are essential to subsim gaming, what do you think about us having a Hardware/Software sub forum?

If so, we can put all the non-game specific computer discussions there, people can discuss the PCs they build, they buy, and they need.

Questions about hardware requirements for specific games will still go in the particular game forums... for example: How much RAM do I need to run Sub Command will belong in the Sub Command forum.

??? Poll time.

joegrundman 10-23-08 03:24 AM

yes i think good idea:D

Wolfehunter 10-23-08 04:15 AM

I think its a great idea neal. Just a simple area for the tech gurus to talk about gizmo philosophies.:D

Reece 10-23-08 04:26 AM

That's a big yes vote Neal!:up:

NealT 10-23-08 05:22 AM

Sounds like a good place to put all of them into a single location so everyone interested knows where to go quickly...

Konovalov 10-23-08 06:12 AM

Sounds great. :yep:

longam 10-23-08 06:54 AM

Vista Rules!. Yes sounds good to me.

Letum 10-23-08 07:20 AM

It would be less helpful than the current setup as generally only those with
problems would visit such a forum section.

bert8for3 10-23-08 07:27 AM

:up: .

AVGWarhawk 10-23-08 07:28 AM

Absolutely! The tech-heads and gurus here help me a lot with computer issues and upgrades, etc. One stop shop for answers would be great. The ever evolving computer makes it hard for one to keep up, however, many brains together makes it that much easier to find answers.

Digital_Trucker 10-23-08 07:34 AM

Ditto:up:

Onkel Neal 10-23-08 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Letum
It would be less helpful than the current setup as generally only those with
problems would visit such a forum section.

Possibly true :hmm:

SteamWake 10-23-08 09:58 AM

Its a radio !

Oh wrong thread. :p

Really I only see the occasional "Help me build a computer", more often I see "Can my computer run xxx " which is easly answered by running that test applet.

There is typically a flood of these questions whenever a new version is released but having one thread "Click here to see if you can run xxx" should be able to cover that.

But hey if you want to create another forum section, add some workload to yourself and other moderators more power to you. It does appear that there may be some interest.

Perhaps give it a trial run and see just how much activity it gets. If it is as dead as say the PT boats section you could move them back to general.

By the way, did you ever have any luck with recovering the old sub sim forums?

Tchocky 10-23-08 09:59 AM

I don't see enough traffic to warrant it, honestly.

Onkel Neal 10-23-08 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteamWake

Perhaps give it a trial run and see just how much activity it gets. If it is as dead as say the PT boats section you could move them back to general.

By the way, did you ever have any luck with recovering the old sub sim forums?

Yeah, we can always open a new forum and if it does not have enough interest, merge any threads back into GT.

Most people will only use it when they are upgrading, but it sure is nice to have people like Subman and Global handy then! I'm thinking there will be a fair amount of use for the new forum and this would be a efficient way to channel the expertise of some of the more tech savvy players.

No, have not been able to look into the EZboard forum recovery, it is on some archive server and most threads are visible but when you click them, no post :(

thanks
Neal