SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SHIII Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   Wind speed effects RPMs while recharging?? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=257033)

Tabris 05-15-24 03:03 AM

Wind speed effects RPMs while recharging??

Hi all, I've got a doozy this time.

Wind speeds are effecting my recharge rates. I've never once noticed this, and I can't find a single post discussing it. Am I crazy? Has this always been a thing?

I noticed it while messing with the Type XXI in Fifi's newest update to NYGM. Thinking it was related to either my incessant tweaks to the XXI, or to h.sie's snorkeling realism settings, I went and tested it in a Type VII, and sure enough, it's a thing there too. At 15 m/s wind speed, the starboard RPMs (the motor doing the recharging) are about 60% that of what they are when the wind is at 8 m/s or lower.

Surface attack project v1.19 is installed. Aside from that and my changes to the XXI's data files, this is happening on what's otherwise a brand new install of NYGM 5.8

Like I said, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Whether or not this can be fixed or changed, just knowing others have experienced this would make me feel much better.

- Tabris

Fifi 05-15-24 10:18 AM

Yes bad weather is influencing recharge rate. All subs… and type II is very badly impacted :yep:
Personally, I like it.

:Kaleun_Salute:

derstosstrupp 05-15-24 01:19 PM

That behavior has no basis in reality. The batteries were charged by virtue of the energized armatures spinning in a magnetic flux, creating an EMF (voltage) greater than that of the batteries. The armatures were turned by the diesels, and they could be turned at any speed, regardless of weather - two completely independent factors. Particularly if the main clutch on one side were disengaged as was common to do, thus the armatures of that motor being disconnected from the propellers, then that side’s diesel has no limitation on how fast it turns that side, only the diesel’s own governor.

Rwearjr 05-18-24 02:04 AM

Yup, gotta agree fully. I've noticed the same in OneAlex mod (been many years since I played GWX) so I cant remember if this is modeled there. It just makes zero sense to me. My rudimentary understanding was the electric engine (on one prop side, I believe usually starboard) was coupled to the diesel (on opposite prop side), and reversed, thereby becoming a generator and recharging the batteries. Even if that isnt exactly accurate, the recharging was done by the diesels and weather would have zero effect.

Tabris 05-18-24 12:09 PM

well, glad I'm not crazy anyway. Maybe I'll go back to the drawing board with my recharge settings. The reason I never noticed this in Types VII or IX is because they spend so much more time on the surface, I guess.

This "mechanic" (bug?) is outrageously punishing with my current parameters - in good conditions, 50% to 80% takes about 2hr, and 80% - 100% takes 3 hr. In bad weather, it took over 24hr to go from 80% to 90%. I'm just amazed at how dramatic it is.

Thanks in any case for the responses :salute: