SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL] Environmental MOD for Silent Hunter 5 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=166178)

TheBeast 05-08-10 05:24 PM

To many Pitch Back Nights

While I was serving in the Military, I spent about 18 months on Aircraft Carrier's. Six Months in the Pacific, Six Months in the Atlantic, Six Months in the Mediterranean. I worked the Flight Deck in all thee environments. During that time I only recall One (1) night in the Mediterranean Sea that was pitch black with poor visibility. There was no Moon, Heavy Cloud cover(no stars), No Wind, Heavy Fog and the water had no plankton bioluminescence. At Sea, plankton bioluminescence really lights up the water surface area "a lot".

With your Environment MOD I get pitch black nights all the time and from my experience pitch black nights are fairly rare.

Also, how do you get an Inversion Layer with winds at 15 knots?:06: Kind of difficult to get heavy fog with high winds...:hmmm: Is this a game limitation?:06:

SteelViking 05-08-10 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBeast (Post 1386081)
While I was serving in the Military, I spent about 18 months on Aircraft Carrier's. Six Months in the Pacific, Six Months in the Atlantic, Six Months in the Mediterranean. I worked the Flight Deck in all thee environments. During that time I only recall One (1) night in the Mediterranean Sea that was pitch black with poor visibility. There was no Moon, Heavy Cloud cover(no stars), No Wind, Heavy Fog and the water had no plankton bioluminescence. At Sea, plankton bioluminescence really lights up the water surface area "a lot".

With your Environment MOD I get pitch black nights all the time and from my experience pitch black nights are fairly rare.

Also, how do you get an Inversion Layer with winds at 15 knots?:06: Kind of difficult to get heavy fog with high winds...:hmmm: Is this a game limitation?:06:

Like I said, there are only certain conditions under which it would be totally dark, so I basically agree with TheBeast. However, as far as bio-luminescence is concerned, the plankton does not stay at the surface and illuminate the environment unless it is churned up by a large ship, such as an aircraft carrier. That is why you hear of large ships having glowing trails behind them.

Edit: I mean absolutely no disrespect TheBeast by the way.

TheBeast 05-08-10 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelViking (Post 1386127)
Like I said, there are only certain conditions under which it would be totally dark, so I basically agree with TheBeast. However, as far as bio-luminescence is concerned, the plankton does not stay at the surface and illuminate the environment unless it is churned up by a large ship, such as an aircraft carrier. That is why you hear of large ships having glowing trails behind them.

Edit: I mean absolutely no disrespect TheBeast by the way.

None taken.

If the sea is chopy with white caps, the bioluminescence is everywhere, not just behind large ships. Anywhere the plankton exists, if the water gets chruned, either by ships or churning wave action. You can see the bioluminescence and when iat sea far away from any other light sources, the bioluminescence is very bright.

W_clear 05-09-10 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBeast (Post 1386081)

Thank you for the information. And BTW how for can you see clearly during night with Heavy Cloud cover?

W_clear 05-09-10 08:05 AM

Medium Cloud Weather begin to do.

http://i42.tinypic.com/169hwsk.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/mmyg69.jpg

AOTD_Rhonen 05-09-10 11:35 AM

Wonderfull Pictures. Can't wait to see it in Game :yeah:

TheBeast 05-09-10 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W_clear (Post 1386322)
Thank you for the information. And BTW how for can you see clearly during night with Heavy Cloud cover?

Easily 2000-3000 meters. We always had a Soviet Trawler following and the Trawler was visable almost all the time. So I am basing this on that visual contact.

P.S. I am a smoker, So I spent a lot of my spare time on the port side sponson looking out across the waters. It was just below and aft of my shop(office space) that was just below the flight deck.

tonschk 05-09-10 04:37 PM

:rock: Well done W_Clear :yeah:

W_clear 05-09-10 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBeast (Post 1386838)
Easily 2000-3000 meters. We always had a Soviet Trawler following and the Trawler was visable almost all the time. So I am basing this on that visual contact.

P.S. I am a smoker, So I spent a lot of my spare time on the port side sponson looking out across the waters. It was just below and aft of my shop(office space) that was just below the flight deck.

Thanks,:salute:

PL_Andrev 05-10-10 03:18 PM

Amazing...

But is it possible that the color of the underwater may change (depends on the hour, weather, region) and have this same color as the color of the sea's surface?

On your screens the watercolor at noon have nice blue, at evening - grey (?), at night black, but underwater color is always, always grren, independed from time, wether, sun position...

W_clear 05-10-10 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antar (Post 1387700)
Amazing...

But is it possible that the color of the underwater may change (depends on the hour, weather, region) and have this same color as the color of the sea's surface?

On your screens the watercolor at noon have nice blue, at evening - grey (?), at night black, but underwater color is always, always grren, independed from time, wether, sun position...

It was not a regional, it's other regions

wiedzmin6891 05-11-10 02:28 PM

when men?

rsvette12 05-11-10 05:38 PM

Well look at it this way if the patch comes out tomorrow, they can have a nice mod for the new version, nice timing. :)

Rich

WilhelmTell 05-12-10 01:49 AM

Wow, awesome pictures here. I really want to see that on my "Feindfahrten".
:yeah:

Ragtag 05-12-10 03:53 AM

Any timeframe on when an update compatible with patch 1.2 can be expected?
Great mod :)