SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   SH3 vs SH4? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=199398)

RedMenace 10-26-12 07:27 PM

SH3 vs SH4?

Which do you prefer? :hmmm:

Sailor Steve 10-26-12 08:02 PM

Both.

Randomizer 10-26-12 09:04 PM

Yes.

RedMenace 10-26-12 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve (Post 1953109)
Both.

B-b-but that's not a preference! :o

razark 10-26-12 09:10 PM

U-boats: SH3.
Fleet boats: SH4.

The question is "Which is better, u-boats or fleet boats?"
:dead:

RedMenace 10-26-12 09:25 PM

Sorry, I'm a bit new to the mod community, so feel free to rip me a new one, but AFAIK there isn't a single supermod that adds as much to SH4 as the numerous supermods that exist for SH3.

So, I assumed, as far as modders go, some people would have a preference between the two.

CCIP 10-26-12 09:42 PM

I prefer SH4, because it's a much more stable and better-looking engine. Both the Atlantic and Pacific campaigns are covered superbly by mods.

HOWEVER, there is a downside: because far more modders have worked on SH3, there are still a lot of things and features that are not available in SH4. This includes a ton of objects, things like extended interiors, the recent .exe fixes, and perhaps most importantly - SH3 commander. All those things still make SH3 worth keeping. If it was not for that extra modding work, SH4 would be absolutely better than SH3 in all ways.

Sailor Steve 10-26-12 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedMenace (Post 1953119)
B-b-but that's not a preference! :o

Actually it is, because both have much to offer. I would explain further, but CCIP just stole the very words I was going to use. How he did that before I could use them is a mystery for which there is an explanation, but it's one I'm not sure I want to explore.

Like him, it's only things like GWX, with its blimps and other cool stuff, the MFM, the St Naz, Wilhelmshaven & Kiel mod, and of course Commander, that keep me playing SH3. SH4 has stability, graphics and little tweaks like correct crew management and the awesome General Quarters thing.

So yes, I prefer both.

msumpsi 10-30-12 09:44 PM

sh4

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedMenace (Post 1953102)

It is a better platform and you are on the right side of humankind. Plus the main strategy of german U boats was the wolfpack to neutralized the convoy sistem and in sh3 you are the only uboat in the whole atlantic hunting. Unless you ge to play with friends and form wolfpacks it is you against the convoys.

msumpsi 10-30-12 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedMenace (Post 1953102)

Go the pacifrto to mention that theater was a much more rich scenario than the atlentic, with all the major nabal battles and engagements around the islands. Not worth playng without RSRD campaign and then use TMO or RFB supermods to make things a little harder. RFB is to me similar to NYGM in sh3, and TMO is more of thhe kind of GWX.

sharkbit 10-31-12 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msumpsi (Post 1954847)
Plus the main strategy of german U boats was the wolfpack to neutralized the convoy sistem and in sh3 you are the only uboat in the whole atlantic hunting. Unless you ge to play with friends and form wolfpacks it is you against the convoys.

H.sie and Stiebler have done some wonderful work with their realism patches for SH3, which include limited wolfpacks. :up:

To the OP- nothing says you can't play both SH3 and SH4 as the mood suits you. Both are excellent games with excellent mods. Both will be on my computer for years to come.

:)

boneman 10-31-12 03:15 PM

Sailor Steve, Question for you!

Like him, it's only things like GWX, with its blimps and other cool stuff, the MFM, the St Naz, Wilhelmshaven & Kiel mod, and of course Commander, that keep me playing SH3. SH4 has stability, graphics and little tweaks like correct crew management and the awesome General Quarters thing.

What is exactly the "general Quarters thing"?:hmmm:

Sailor Steve 10-31-12 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boneman (Post 1955186)
What is exactly the "general Quarters thing"?:hmmm:

In SH4 the crew is divided into watch bills that rotate themselves. One watch is shown as on duty while the other two are shown as doing maintainence or spending time to themselves, including sleeping. When about to go into combat you can call 'General Quarters' and they will all wake up and go to their duty stations. If the lesser officers and petty officers were on duty they are replaced by the senior man, so every station is filled with the best crew. Graphically you also see this happen, plus the control room is filled with a couple of extra men turning wrenches and manning stations. It's cool to watch and it greatly aids the efficiency.

The only downside is if you forget to relieve them when the danger is over. You might suddenly find the boat shutting down because everyone stayed at their duty stations as ordered and all collapsed from exhaustion.

RedMenace 10-31-12 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve (Post 1955201)
'General Quarters'

IIRC it's called "Battlestations" in stock

Sailor Steve 10-31-12 04:32 PM

Could be. In the navy that was a term only used secondarily, as in "General quarters! General quarters! All hands man your battle stations!"

But they got a lot of things wrong in the game, many of which have never been fixed, even by modders.