SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Classic Subsims (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Destroyer Command "Oil" Mission Crash (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=232340)

Contemplative Flame 07-05-17 12:14 AM

Destroyer Command "Oil" Mission Crash

Question: anyone ever have an issue doing this level on the Pacific campaign? I go to start it and it crashes. A notepad file pops up saying this:

Wed Jan 9 15:52:20 2002
Error -1 [pUnit == 0]
DirectX code: "Unrecognized error: 0xffffffff"
F:\Devel\DestroyerCmd\Campaigns\Source\CCamDB.cpp
Line 751

Any help? I don't have an F: drive so idk where that is coming from. It's certainly not January 9, 2002. I don't have a folder called Devel, but the closest thing I have to replicating this file path (I'm using Windows 10 64bit, everything in compatibility mode) is: This PC\Local Disk (C:)\Program Files (x86)\Destroyer Command\Campaigns...I don't see any file in there called "Source." I am patched to version 1.1 of DC. Any tips or tricks to solve this would be much appreciated. :salute:

propbeanie 07-05-17 09:05 AM

That looks like a portion of a "swap" file the game uses while running. The "devel" folder (appropriately named here) would be for "developer" or "development". The "cpp" file would be a C++ source file, which would have been "compiled" into the game. So you went into a development error stub somehow.

I don't remember which of my computers I've got my copy installed on, and it's been forever since I took 'er out for a spin, but I do not remember ever getting anything close to that error. I think I've got it in an XP install... Do you have any other additional files added to the game, besides the patch?

That looks to be a Microsoft DirectX file dated Jan 9 that throws the error - maybe. Does a copy of DirectX come with the game (I don't remember)? If so, did you install it? Like the later SH games that have DirectX 9c, you might be missing a part of DirectX if you don't install it?? Some one of the other members will have to help further... I don't even remember if the Program Files (x86) folder is a problem with SH2 / DC, like it is with SH3, 4 & 5, but I would guess it is.

Contemplative Flame 07-05-17 11:52 AM

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2497622)
That looks like a portion of a "swap" file the game uses while running. The "devel" folder (appropriately named here) would be for "developer" or "development". The "cpp" file would be a C++ source file, which would have been "compiled" into the game. So you went into a development error stub somehow.

I don't remember which of my computers I've got my copy installed on, and it's been forever since I took 'er out for a spin, but I do not remember ever getting anything close to that error. I think I've got it in an XP install... Do you have any other additional files added to the game, besides the patch?

That looks to be a Microsoft DirectX file dated Jan 9 that throws the error - maybe. Does a copy of DirectX come with the game (I don't remember)? If so, did you install it? Like the later SH games that have DirectX 9c, you might be missing a part of DirectX if you don't install it?? Some one of the other members will have to help further... I don't even remember if the Program Files (x86) folder is a problem with SH2 / DC, like it is with SH3, 4 & 5, but I would guess it is.

The only files added are some of the various sound mod files found here on the Subsim downloads. I added no texture, graphical, campaign, or gameplay changes. It is patched to official V1.1 however. I don't remember if there was a copy of DirectX included and if so, whether I installed it or not. I will uninstall and then reinstall to see if I can find anything like that. If it is a problem with the Program Files (x86) in general I will have to figure that out later. Thanks for your help!

propbeanie 07-06-17 01:29 PM

Let us know how you do. I'm sure there'll be others curious about your adventure...