SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter Online (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=258)
-   -   Dead? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211490)

Admiral Halsey 02-28-14 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by les green01 (Post 2179744)
i have try logging in several times could never get on but then in a way im not surspise seem like like every release from ubi just got worst least sh1 to 5 you have mods working to make them playable

Same here. I was willing to give the game a shot but I could never play the darn thing.

v-i-c- 02-28-14 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seeadler (Post 2179542)
Silent Hunter Online will not be receiving additional game updates...

Oh, well… then I hope my mobile title will get enough sales to outsource some work to port it quickly to the desktop with all the eyecandy of 2015.

Silent Hunter is just a name. The game was made in 1939.

John Channing 02-28-14 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinman764 (Post 2179695)
No, that is exactly why I used them :)

There are a number of full game rebuilds by the modding community that I am sure would have needed someone's blessing before the code from the original game be used. And as you said, they are doing very well.

Actually the source code was illegally leaked by one of the disgruntled developers after being told that they were all fired (or so the legend goes) when Hasbro took over.

But it was leaked. No blessing was ever given.

Very little chance of that happening here.

JCC

TorpX 02-28-14 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Channing (Post 2179923)
But it was leaked. No blessing was ever given.

Very little chance of that happening here.

It's too bad. This is probably the only way of Silent Hunter being the game it was meant to be.

andacio 03-01-14 06:02 AM

Too bad , indeed ! But I think that the game was having a future if the players would have seen any changes at all . One year and no change ...it is quite frustrating. Most of the players quit the game when seeing the lack of comunication from the devs . My 2 cent

Harald_Lange 03-01-14 07:54 AM

Silent Hunter 6. The controls and interface from Silent Hunter 3, with the graphics from Silent Hunter 5. (Minus the 80's arcade style ship explosions).

Now THAT would be a game! One can dream right?

TheDarkWraith 03-01-14 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harald_Lange (Post 2180081)
Silent Hunter 6. The controls and interface from Silent Hunter 3, with the graphics from Silent Hunter 5. (Minus the 80's arcade style ship explosions).

Now THAT would be a game! One can dream right?

That dream has been a reality for some time now :yep: Guess you haven't checked out the SH5 Mods forum have you?

DrJones 03-02-14 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith (Post 2180166)
That dream has been a reality for some time now :yep: Guess you haven't checked out the SH5 Mods forum have you?

I agree with you absolutely :up:

and further improvements are always in progress...more or less...depending on the time modders have to dispose

Best Regards

DrJones:salute:

Keef Kavannah 03-13-14 04:18 AM

damn. another time.

GT182 03-14-14 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey (Post 2178731)
Maybe with the failure of this we can finally but the rights to the Silent Hunter Franchise off of Ubi for cheap?

Knowing UBI it will never happen, and if it did no one could afford it. Same was tried with Hazbro/Atari for "B-17 Flying Fortress "The Mighty 8th"" and that failed.

Oleander 03-14-14 11:06 PM

Not at all surprised, they were banking on microtransactions that just haven't materialized. People are getting tired of feeding money to games so they play at a reasonable pace or they have decent weaponry. WOT did it right and made the playing field flat, the premium members get a slight edge but its very subtle.

SHO is just boring, there's not enough TC and there's just not a lot to do. They took an essentially open world game and made it mission based so it just feels sluggish at best.

I really wish someone would make a game like the old POTCO game Disney had. You can buy ships and go out and sink AI ships and have your friends join in. Can't wait for World of Warships, its gonna be awesome.

TG626 03-15-14 01:20 AM

The whole micro transactions is why I played for a few hours and then went searching for "real" game to buy. After a slight steamed detour I need up with sh4 (wanted to be USN and not KM) and I've never looked back! :)

TheDarkWraith 03-15-14 10:05 AM

Let this be a lesson to other game makers: we are not going to put up with pay to play or microtransactions or internet/cloud based games (we want physical copy on CD/DVD) or DRM crap :arrgh!:

Remember there are people like me who, just because I can, will break your DRM/copy protection just for the fun/challenge of it. It may take people like me time to do it but rest assured we have all the time in the world and we will always succeed. Nothing brings a smile to our faces more than breaking/defeating what was thought to be unbreakable/undefeatable :D

Oleander 03-15-14 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith (Post 2186237)
Remember there are people like me who, just because I can, will break your DRM/copy protection just for the fun/challenge of it. It may take people like me time to do it but rest assured we have all the time in the world and we will always succeed. Nothing brings a smile to our faces more than breaking/defeating what was thought to be unbreakable/undefeatable :D

This reminds me of when EA released SimCity and then came out and said that it simply isn't possible to make bigger cities or have an offline mode. Within 24 hours there was a video on Youtube of someone playing in offline mode with a bigger city square.

Word to the wise, don't try to put one over on the community, they will beat your butt every time.

TheDarkWraith 03-15-14 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oleander (Post 2186259)
This reminds me of when EA released SimCity and then came out and said that it simply isn't possible to make bigger cities or have an offline mode. Within 24 hours there was a video on Youtube of someone playing in offline mode with a bigger city square.

Word to the wise, don't try to put one over on the community, they will beat your butt every time.

Power to the people :yeah:

Whenever we hear the words 'new DRM' or 'new copy protection scheme' or 'can't use unless ____' it's a call to arms...And we have much bigger and better weapons than the developers. Even if we don't we will make better ones (this is usually a multi-national effort) :up:

Nothing like the international fame for being the first one to prove they broke/cracked it.