SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   UK Madness strikes again (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=238886)

STEED 10-18-18 01:36 PM

UK Madness strikes again

OH COME ON!!!

Quote:

The UK's most popular tissue brand, Kleenex Mansize, has been forced to clean up its image after consumers complained its name was sexist.

After more than sixty years Kleenex is phasing out the Mansize tissues name, deciding instead to call the disposable handkerchiefs "Extra Large" tissues.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ty-complaints/

What is the matter with these ding dongs? The world is falling apart and these fools think this is important! :doh:

Sean C 10-18-18 01:59 PM

I suggest you crimestop your oldthink before thinkpol arrives and takes you to the joycamp.

Personally, this new name gives me a doubleplusgood bellyfeel. :up:

Platapus 10-18-18 05:49 PM

First World Problems.

If this decision is what makes you upset about the world, you live a blessed life.

As for me, I don't think this issue would crack the top 10,000 on my give-a-crapometer

vienna 10-18-18 05:52 PM

This is an important issue! You might think it trivial, but it snot!... :03:

<O>

Skybird 10-18-18 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STEED (Post 2573119)
What is the matter with these ding dongs? The world is falling apart and these fools think this is important! :doh:

But do you want to say you favour discrimination of women...? I'm shocked. This I have not thought of you.

Why boasting? I use to just do it without making words and a show about it. :D

Skybird 10-18-18 06:03 PM

Unfortunately stupid stuff like this nowadays gets pushed to really threatening ammounts of power to crack down on society.

My most loved example still is what I already told in the past: that the new German IFV Puma, got delayed by a long time because their might be an emission by the fuel system for the engine into the cabin that might pose a risk to the amniotic fluid of pregnant soldieresses. At the same time the cannon needs a crook to fire straight, the turret had not enough space left for a decent medium machine gun and uses a small one only, and the cabin is limited to passengers with a height below 1,84m, for they messed up the planning of the design on all these three things. -Even Monthy Python could not tell a better joke. Needless to say, the Puma is the most expensve IFV in the world. Which might be the reason why they still have not a single customer buying it beside the German Bundeswehr, although they desperately seek customers.

Girls power! Pussy riot wins the war! :yeah:

Reece 10-18-18 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STEED (Post 2573119)
OH COME ON!!!

You're not wrong STEED, totally stupid, this is the same as banning the term "Man hole" (ceiling access) from being used!!:doh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by vienna (Post 2573156)
This is an important issue! You might think it trivial, but it snot!... :03:<O>

:haha: :up:

STEED 10-18-18 06:33 PM

I dipped into comment sections on news sites and even women find the whole thing stupid and how can this be sexiest. One comment made me think yea that be on the next list, white goods are raciest and so are white tissues. :03:

Buddahaid 10-18-18 07:44 PM

If that's the case then I think feminine napkins are sexist and need to be relabeled too.

Onkel Neal 10-18-18 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vienna (Post 2573156)
This is an important issue! You might think it trivial, but it snot!... :03:

:Kaleun_Thumbs_Up:

Buddahaid 10-18-18 09:23 PM

But just think, there can no longer be man flu, or man-sized messes, etc.

Jimbuna 10-19-18 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STEED (Post 2573165)
I dipped into comment sections on news sites and even women find the whole thing stupid and how can this be sexiest. One comment made me think yea that be on the next list, white goods are raciest and so are white tissues. :03:

Or sexist even.

ExFishermanBob 10-19-18 06:57 AM

I was taught that:-
  • 'man(n)' means 'adult human'
  • wo-man is adult female (somtimes wif-man)
  • were-man is adult male: not often used, now seen mostly in were-wolf (man-wolf) and in Scots 'fir' or 'fier'* (and Gaidhlg fear / fir) and 'vir' in a number of languages. You can also have wępenmann (weapon-man) meaning male (and an innuenedo on weapon)

And thus 'man-size' = 'adult-human-sized' and manhole, chairman and so on are perfectly descriptive and not in the least sexist.

However, I am old, and usage changes... I have a horse in this race, though, as due to my surname, I am in danger of becoming Mr Personperson.

* Burns', Auld Lang Syne, 'And there's a hand, my trusty fiere!'

Platapus 10-19-18 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buddahaid (Post 2573174)
If that's the case then I think feminine napkins are sexist and need to be relabeled too.

I thought that feminine napkins were what a woman used after oral sex

(rimshot)

nikimcbee 10-19-18 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reece (Post 2573159)
You're not wrong STEED, totally stupid, this is the same as banning the term "Man hole" (ceiling access) from being used!!:doh:

:haha: :up:

Zoinks, I'm afraid to look that term up in a Cali-fornia dictionary. I live on the West Coast, so you may need to explain what you mean.:o