SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Rescuing Aussies and New Zealanders (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=238618)

Ghayth203 09-15-18 08:41 PM

Rescuing Aussies and New Zealanders

I've been sailing somewhere between Midway (After sailing from Hawaii, refitting at Midway, and going to patrol the Marianas). My radar got something, I sailed towards it it was a New Zealander merchant, right when I established visual contact with him, my SD radar picked up another thing...

It was a Zero inbound from the north heading south and the merchant was sailing north (just less than one nautical mile from the Zero's course) and me I was southwards the merchant sailing north towards it, so the Zero came across the merchant first, bombed it twice, I tried to go ahead flank and try to push him away with my AA guns but I was too late, the fuel tank of the merchant already exploded

Anyway, when I got close to the sinking spot of the merchant I was able to see life rafts, but I couldn't rescue them (binoculars+space)

Which brings me to the question: Could I only rescue US downed pilots or any allied thing? :k_confused:

propbeanie 09-15-18 10:09 PM

That is one of the game's limitations, in that you can only 'rescue' that which is rescuable... Sorry - my old job of double-speak perculated to the surface... The pilots that you can rescue in the "lifeguard" missions are within a set area (MapZone), and you have to have an assigned objective to get them. In the stock v1.4, only the Americans have a 'Survivor' on their roster, but there isn't any reason they couldn't be added to other countries' roster ~and~ a person could also make lifeboats as 'survivors', and then be able to be picked-up. FotRSU (for v1.5 of SH4) will have that feature with the next release. If a country has them on the roster, they can be picked-up, though with some difficulty. Hoever, no points for doing it. :salute:

Ghayth203 09-16-18 06:48 AM

So I can only rescue downed American pilots in specific mission, not in the career? And I can only rescue downed pilots not sailors..? And as you said add survivors to the roster or something like that..? Is there a way to add it? And if yes how?:k_confused:

propbeanie 09-17-18 04:31 PM

There has to be an assigned objective in order to get points from picking the "survivors" up in a designated zone. You can manage to pick them up, if they are the same nationality as your boat. We've put other nationality 'survivors' into the FotRSU mod, and they can also be picked-up, though they are Allies, and they are assigned missions... I might try some Japanese survivors later, and see what happens. If it works, maybe have a mission to pick-up some sinking survivors for interrogation back at headquarters...

There is already a "Survivor" in the Data / Sea folder, so all you would need to do is make a copy of the Survivor.cfg file in the Data / Roster / American / Sea folder, and paste it into the other countries' "Data / Roster / Country / Sea" folder, then do editing to change the "DisplayName=Country Survivor" to match the folder, such as AU for Australian, GB or UK for Great Britain, etc. Match the abbreviations to what are in your game. It would be best to put the new CFG files in a folder structure like "NewSurvivors / Data / Roster / Each Country / Sea / Survivor.cfg", put the whole structure in your MODS folder, and "activate" it with JSGME. That would allow you to back it off if something goes terribly wrong... :roll: - not saying it would, but ya never know... :salute:

BarracudaUAK 09-17-18 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2569075)
That would allow you to back it off if something goes terribly wrong... :roll:

Wearing a new 'hat' as the resident pessimist?
:haha:

Ghayth203,

In all seriousness,

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2569075)
put the whole structure in your MODS folder, and "activate" it with JSGME.

this is what I do with any modding I try.

I have also used JSGME with other games that don't have a dedicated mod/plugin folder, no issues yet.

Barracuda

Ghayth203 09-18-18 06:02 PM

Your answers meant a lot, thank you guys <3