SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   sh4 mods (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=221516)

jayni 08-16-15 06:41 PM

sh4 mods

I would like to download Silent Hunter 4 from Steam but I have read that I will not be able to download mods. Any advice?

Rockin Robbins 08-16-15 07:35 PM

Mods work for SH4 in Steam just like the standalone game. You download the mods from Subsim, not Steam, so Steam has no say in whether you download them or not. Where have you read that is not possible?

I've used JSGME to mod Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, Left4Dead, Unreal Tournament 3, Counterstrike Global Offensive and Counterstrike Source, all within Steam. Have no fear.

20000 Leagues 08-16-15 08:44 PM

I have run into problems with mods and Steam in the past. To avoid any difficulties, install Steam directly on your "C" drive. Some mods don't like it if you've installed games in C:\Programfilesx86.

I've never had a problem since installing Steam directly on the "C" drive.

TorpX 08-17-15 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 20000 Leagues (Post 2336931)
I've never had a problem since installing Steam directly on the "C" drive.

Did you get v1.5?

Anyone who wants to play SH4 should get v1.5 (i.e. the U-boat missions) if at all possible. That is the latest version, and you will need it to use the latest mods.

Haukka81 08-17-15 04:23 AM

sh4 mods

I have Steam version SH4 + uboa missions and it works :)

I have Steam installed in my E: drive. (Ssd for games only)

D: (third ssd for programs only)

C: is always been just for Windows. (Second ssd for Os only)

So just look to MODS and install what you like :) GFO 1.1 mod is good to start.

-haukka81

20000 Leagues 08-17-15 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorpX (Post 2336966)
Did you get v1.5?

Anyone who wants to play SH4 should get v1.5 (i.e. the U-boat missions) if at all possible. That is the latest version, and you will need it to use the latest mods.

I do have v 1.5. I haven't had any trouble with mods and SH4. The only difficulties I had was when I updated GWX. It didn't like the game being installed in "Programfilesx86." I just created a "Steam" folder directly on the "C" drive and never ran into an issue since.

Webster 08-17-15 01:00 PM

I recall where there is an issue with the exe hack mod to unlock some stuff and that hack doesn't work on the steam version, but its for sh5 so I think he was confused by that.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=181433

20000 Leagues 08-20-15 12:48 PM

Anyone know where I can find "New Narwhal K v 1.8.5"? I've found the support files, but not the original file.

aanker 08-20-15 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 20000 Leagues (Post 2338184)
Anyone know where I can find "New Narwhal K v 1.8.5"? I've found the support files, but not the original file.

For sure on the 'Thank You Mate' for donating - listed on the special Downloads for donations to Subsim page.

Also there is the TMO Donation NARWHAL patch Ducimus made for the donation NARWHAL to be compatible with TMO. (not the TMO NARWHAL). Plus there is a zip of cosmetic additions.

From your 'badge/medal' it looks like you donated so just go there.

Happy Hunting!

Aktungbby 08-20-15 06:42 PM

welcome aboard!

jayni!:Kaleun_Salute:

merc4ulfate 08-20-15 06:53 PM

I still havent figured out why anyone would use steam for Silent Hunter 4. It is way to easy to just get a disk and always have a hard copy for easy installations and less crap on the computer.

Jimbuna 08-21-15 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayni (Post 2336917)
I would like to download Silent Hunter 4 from Steam but I have read that I will not be able to download mods. Any advice?

Your mods should/will work fine.

Welcome to SubSim :sunny:

20000 Leagues 08-21-15 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aanker (Post 2338251)
For sure on the 'Thank You Mate' for donating - listed on the special Downloads for donations to Subsim page.

Also there is the TMO Donation NARWHAL patch Ducimus made for the donation NARWHAL to be compatible with TMO. (not the TMO NARWHAL). Plus there is a zip of cosmetic additions.

From your 'badge/medal' it looks like you donated so just go there.

Happy Hunting!

Thank you kindly! I was on that page and thought the bold/underlined link was the heading for the other two files. I really need more sleep sometimes!!:oops:

Rockin Robbins 08-21-15 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merc4ulfate (Post 2338254)
I still havent figured out why anyone would use steam for Silent Hunter 4. It is way to easy to just get a disk and always have a hard copy for easy installations and less crap on the computer.

Let me count the ways:
  1. You can then play Silent Hunter 4 on any computer you happen to be on. Over at your friend's house and talking about SH4? Don't tell him about it, show him! Log into your Steam account, install and play the game there.
  2. You have a terminal case of mod soup. The ocean is all day-glow orange, your submarine uses lifeboat models and when you pull into Midway your game crashes AND you lost your update and installation disks. Steam will restore your game.
  3. Steam gives you tools for screenshots and sharing them and a community of young kids who can't make sense of anything or hold a civil conversation. If you're stuck they can insult you.
I'm sure there are more but I can't think of any more right now. I don't play SH4 on Steam but do play several other games there. I think it works well and doesn't take advantage of customers like some other companies I won't name Ubi. As a matter of fact you won't see many other Ubi games on there because Ubi thinks it can take advantage of customers way better than Steam. They're right and that's why I avoid Ubi games.

20000 Leagues 08-21-15 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins (Post 2338456)
Let me count the ways:
  1. You can then play Silent Hunter 4 on any computer you happen to be on. Over at your friend's house and talking about SH4? Don't tell him about it, show him! Log into your Steam account, install and play the game there.
  2. You have a terminal case of mod soup. The ocean is all day-glow orange, your submarine uses lifeboat models and when you pull into Midway your game crashes AND you lost your update and installation disks. Steam will restore your game.
  3. Steam gives you tools for screenshots and sharing them and a community of young kids who can't make sense of anything or hold a civil conversation. If you're stuck they can insult you.
I'm sure there are more but I can't think of any more right now. I don't play SH4 on Steam but do play several other games there. I think it works well and doesn't take advantage of customers like some other companies I won't name Ubi. As a matter of fact you won't see many other Ubi games on there because Ubi thinks it can take advantage of customers way better than Steam. They're right and that's why I avoid Ubi games.

I'd have to second that. I've wiped games and re-installed after making a mess of them many times. It's just as easy as with a disk except I have no disk to scratch, lose, whatever. I was leery of Steam a few years ago, but they've proven to be a great service.