SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   Can a Submarine Really Outrun a Car? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=230906)

Onkel Neal 04-15-17 07:36 AM

Can a Submarine Really Outrun a Car?

The most ridiculous chase in “Fate of the Furious” involves a submarine nearly crushing the crew’s cars — but would it even be a race?

Quote:

“The Fate of the Furious” doles out over-the-top action by even the “Fast & Furious” franchise’s standards, capping off the movie with an insane chase over a frozen Russian bay. In the scene the protagonists race a submarine to a set of sea locks — an underwater gateway — in an effort to block the sub from escaping into the open ocean.

The scene includes military vehicles firing missiles at cars, harpoons tearing Lamborghini doors off, and all kinds of explosions. But the coup de grace of the situation is when the submarine surfaces through the ice, ripping up the surface and nearly sinking the cars as they flee the huge vessel.

I haven't seen the movie, do you think they could make this believable?

Skybird 04-15-17 07:47 AM

Can a Submarine Really Outrun a Car?

"I once had such a car too, when I was young and had no money." :D

vienna 04-15-17 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onkel Neal (Post 2478941)

Probably. I know a lot of people who are surprised when I tell them just how really slow most of the subs in WWII were underwater as opposed to the speed of the surface ships hunting them. People have no real frame of reference by which to judge the relative reality of what they see in movies or other visual media. For a lot of them, if its on the screen, its probably real...

<O>

Gargamel 04-15-17 08:01 AM

No.

No. They will not make this believable.

The last movie was not believable at all, so why was this one.

*The only believable big action stunt in that one was the jump between towers, that was awesome*

Jimbuna 04-15-17 08:05 AM

Watched the movie yesterday and must say it was a right pile....entertaining but seriously unbelievable and never mind outrunning just a submarine, ice-skimming torpedoes and heat seeking missiles as well :)

Onkel Neal 04-15-17 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gargamel (Post 2478947)
No.

No. They will not make this believable.

The last movie was not believable at all, so why was this one.

*The only believable big action stunt in that one was the jump between towers, that was awesome*

:har: Well said, man, well said.

Gargamel 04-15-17 08:57 AM

Thank you.

Yeah, I was screaming in my head watching that scene "This is total BS! It will never happen, but it could!" And that's why I loved that scene.

But then they have to go and say "We can not have US forces attached to this project" And then they go and jump out of a plane that screams the US was here!

hauangua 04-15-17 09:13 AM

Hmmmm....
Yes we can!!

http://i67.tinypic.com/10565tu.jpg
:D

Platapus 04-15-17 11:15 AM

Underwater, yes a Sub can easily out run a car. Cars don't like being underwater
Out of water, a car can out run a Sub. Submarines tend to scrape a lot when out of water. :D

Buddahaid 04-15-17 11:48 AM

This thread is all about why I don't go to the movies anymore. Over the top action scenes that scream stupid to me just ruin it all.

moose1am 04-16-17 08:32 AM

I just like being entertained

I'd watch the movie and probably bitch that this scene or that was unbelievable but then again that's just part of the entertainment. LOL

I loved the post above with the picture of the highway with one lane devoted to submarines and the other dedicated to trucks/buses and vehicles. LOL. Now that was funny IMHO.

I like Vann Diesel and the Fast and Furious Movies. I miss Paul though.

A lot of movies these days have crazy stuff in them. With the new computer animation effects most new movies have a lot of things in them that are hard to believe.

My favorite movies are based on real characters though. I like murder mystery movies and who done it type movies too. And at other times I like funny movies. IE Comedy type movies.

Now we all know that torpedoes don't fly over the ice like in this movie but it did make for a good trailer. LOL. Hey we need to have some make believe and have some fun with it. Was it realistic. No way. But it's a MOVIE not real life. So relax, have a drink and watch the movie. Drink a beer and just laugh at the unbelievable scenes and enjoy the rest of the movie.

Remember going to the movies is much better than going to work!

Buddahaid 04-16-17 10:45 AM

I guess I stopped needing to be read fairy tales a long time ago. I don't find it entertaining to be fed big lines of bull to support silly scenes.

seanjo 04-16-17 12:26 PM

Fast and furious is not meant to be believable! Anyone that thinks it is, should have a word with themselves!!

vienna 04-16-17 12:34 PM

Either that, or they should take to watching fact based movies like Star Wars or X-Men...

<O>

Buddahaid 04-16-17 04:15 PM

Then it should be packaged as a comedy farce....:arrgh!: