SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   [REL] Ohio SSBN for SH4 (Overhauled) (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=209531)

ETR3(SS) 11-29-13 09:48 AM

[REL] Ohio SSBN for SH4 (Overhauled)

Ohio SSBN for Silent Hunter 4 v 1.5
Original mod by Toma Gabriel (original readme included)
This version brought to you by ETR3(SS)

Recommendations: Play with Limited Fuel, Batteries, and O2 off. This is a WWII sim, nuc boats wern't around and so they can't be portrayed 100% accurately.

-Combine Sail and Hull files: Data files for the hull and sail were combined into one file set. Doing so eliminates issues with the stock game conning towers not showing up properly.

-Remodel Rudder: Rudder was reshaped to more accurate form.

-Remove cleats from hull: The cleats on an Ohio submarine are retractable, all of them. So got rid of them to give it an at sea look.

-Remove TBT: Removed TBT from bridge. You're a nuclear submarine, make submerged attacks!

-Adjust Radar mast height: Adjusted height of radar mast to a more appropriate height. Radar on an Ohio is primarily used for surface navigation only, not locating targets.

-Move OOD in Bridge: The Officer of the Deck was moved from one of the lookout pookas to the actual bridge cockpit.

-Change manning levels: Added more crew members to better reflect manning levels. I wouldn't plan on seeing a full compliment though.

-Eliminate air search radar: About the only times you should be surfaced is to transit in and out of home port. But of course game limitations may require you to pop the hatch to change out the air.

-Rework compartment layout: Moved equipment around the boat I.E. sonar, radar, radio.

-Change torpedo loadout: A lot less than what you may be used to with only 13 reserves and 4 in the tubes.

-Change and move periscopes: Reworked the periscope models to look more accurate and moved to proper locations.

-Retexture hull and sail: Cancelled/Deferred

-Rework ship wake: Not 100% happy with this but happy enough to release it. The ship wake looks more accurate to waht an Ohio would throw off.

-Damage zones: The damage zones were unchanged from the S Boat this was based on originally. Expect a more realistic collision with other objects and YOU WILL TAKE DAMAGE due to the damage boxes being enlargened.

-Ship characteristics: Displacement, Speed (surfaced and submerged), Test and crush depth, and hit points for the hull increased.

-Move Fairwater Plane data to sail: Originally the data for the fairwater planes was part of the main hull file, with the combination of sail and hull the FW planes were moved under the sail node.

-Adjust torpedo tube pos and animation: The torpedoes always fired from the correct spot, however the animation for the torpedo tube muzzle doors need to be fixed.

-Alter TASM RTE distance: Deferred to later date/release (removed for the time being)

-Roster list and ship naming in files: A full roster of all 18 Ohio boats is included in the format USS Ohio SSBN 726

-Increase Mk 48 explosive power: After exstensive testing it was found that everything short of a BB could be sunk with one Mk 48. Test conditions were 90 AoB Speed 0, keel shot.

-Eliminate gun positions: Probably a transparent change as all I did was remove nodes and entries for the gun posistions.

-Create Bangor Subase and add to career: This took some figuring out but added Bangor Submarine Base. If you start at dock, you'll start at the base itself in the Hood Canal. If you choose outside of dock you start where the Hood Canal and Straights of Juan de Fuca meet.

D/L here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4255

Link to Sonar fix(only if you downloaded mod prior to Feb 5): http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4313

Marka Ragnos 11-29-13 09:52 AM

Dude.... you got my hopes up :)

Looking forward to it

ETR3(SS) 11-29-13 10:02 AM

Uploading the mod now but posted the readme in first post. This release is SSBN only, SSGN will be released once the TASM issues are resolved.

ETR3(SS) 11-29-13 10:39 AM

D/L link up, see first post.

Marka Ragnos 11-29-13 05:56 PM

what's the problem with the missiles?
I changed them so they are much faster and kill multiple ships in the area.

However they go in a straight line.

russ663 11-29-13 06:10 PM

showing my ignorance

well got the 726 ohio downloaded but dont seem to want to install or such. no green install bar. and goes to the original game 1.5. i tried over the beta.2 but that didnt work either.. for the world to see why am i not getting this? if you hear a popping sound it will be my head.

appreciate all the mod work you did bro, now just gotta get the student to write his name correct. sorry

russ:/\\!!

OK Feelin stupid, after a few deletes, and reinstalls its up and running.. thank you very much! grrrr appreciate it all.. now to sink some ships...

russ

ETR3(SS) 11-29-13 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marka Ragnos (Post 2146271)
what's the problem with the missiles?
I changed them so they are much faster and kill multiple ships in the area.

However they go in a straight line.

I want to try several different methods and see which one works best. My perfectionist nature keeps me from just releasing something.

Marka Ragnos 11-30-13 09:37 AM

Did you serve on the Kentucky?
There is a documentary about the Kentucky on discovery channel.

If I was an american i would join the navy, sadly not possible :(

Marka Ragnos 11-30-13 09:47 AM

good idea about starting out at bangor washington.
I added a few things :)

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/...ps67cd0427.jpg

ETR3(SS) 11-30-13 09:54 AM

Yes, as my signature states I served on the Ky. I think I saw that doc, there's been a couple on her. She does seem to get her fair share of fame. Nice addition. :up: I'm not very found of the pier itself as it doesn't look like the real thing that's there. But it works for now.

Marka Ragnos 11-30-13 10:17 AM

is there a pier ingame that does a better job at it?
I used wake island.

ETR3(SS) 11-30-13 11:32 AM

Not really, here is what it looks like on maps. Naval Base Kitsap-Bangor, Silverdale, WA 98383

Mylar 12-07-13 09:41 AM

SLBM Missiles???

Why you don't have added possibility to effectively use SLBMs?

ETR3(SS) 12-07-13 10:25 AM

While SLBMs have been partially modeled for SH4, it's my belief that they can not be employed as intended. That is to say as a ballistic missile aimed at land targets. Also additional time would be needed to alter the model for missile doors to open and to model a Trident missile.

Now as far as the TASM is concerned for the SSGN, that is more feasible. I've already got some ideas on how I want the launching system setup but want to correct the TASM issues first.

Doomer 01-03-14 06:44 AM

I love this sub, the detail is very well done :salute: