SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Helosim.com and Flight Sims (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=216)
-   -   Pedal recommendations (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=172277)

Crécy 07-13-10 11:32 AM

Pedal recommendations

Hello again. I have not even flied my first flight and I'm looking for pedals, but simulator fewer has struck me :). Can't help it. I'm not going to buy pedals in the immidiate future but eventually. So what do you recommend? What is the average prize of decent pedals?

Fincuan 07-13-10 04:09 PM

I've had Saitek Pro Pedals for a few years now, and they do the job well. Quality seems ok and they're adjustable in width, tension and foot length. Naturally they move like real pedals, ie. "sliding" backwards and forwards, while the up and down pivoting motion is for braking. Up here they're also a bit cheaper than those of CH or Thrustmaster, around 100-130€.

Pedals didn't exactly turn my flying upside down, but at least they're much more natural and precise than rotating the stick handle. Especially takeoffs and landings are a lot easier than before.

Crécy 07-13-10 04:29 PM

Ok. If twist handle does the job even somewhat good I believe I will get the TrackIR first :). It seems you can't find it under 160e. Expensive device indeed.

Fincuan 07-13-10 05:03 PM

Yeah definitely get head tracking before pedals. It's much more useful. I wouldn't get TIR though, because an easy Freetrack setup gives you the same functionality in most current games, at least in all I've tried, with only a fraction of the price. The difference would actually be enough for the pedals.

Crécy 07-13-10 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fincuan (Post 1443480)
Yeah definitely get head tracking before pedals. It's much more useful. I wouldn't get TIR though, because an easy Freetrack setup gives you the same functionality in most current games, at least in all I've tried, with only a fraction of the price. The difference would actually be enough for the pedals.

I take it you are using Freetrack set up? I abandoned that idea because it needs a soldering iron. That might be a good option, though. As a student I have nothing to spare in anything extra so that would be good until I can afford to TrackIR.

Fincuan 07-13-10 05:23 PM

No need for a soldering iron. I bought the led-thingy they make for TrackIR, Trackclip pro is the name I think, for about 20€ and use that together with a webcam. Works great and no tinkering needed, just plug in all the stuff and play.

Skybird 07-15-10 05:02 PM

For precise aiming in WWII-sims, pedals are a must. They rank above TrackIR in priority.

In realistic helicopter sims, pedals are a must. Again they rank higher in importance than TrackIR.

In civilian flightsims, without pedals: no realistic crosswind landings, no way to switch off that auto-rudder feature of the sim when flying longer distances. Again, Pedals rate before trackIR if you want realism.

Where you do not need pedals that much, is Falcon 4, you can perfectly fly Falcon without ever using pedals. Here, TrackIR can be bought first. In case of Allied Force I would prefer high-res widescreen cockpits first, though, if you use a 16:10 screen.

don't get me wrong, I am using TrackIR myself, i love it, I do not fly without it anymore, and strongly recommend to use it especially in the superb 3D cockpits avialable for modules for FS9 and FSX, it enhances the experience of "being there" very much, and in dogfighting it is nice to have it for looking around. but in casde of the altter, with a good HOTUS setup making use of the viewing options cleverly, you can comensate for not having Track IR (telling by experience).

But from a realism and functionality standpoint, pedals are more important in most cases of sim-flying I did/do.

Get both, but in the sequnce mentioned above! ;)

I use Simped Vario Pro pedals, which offer good manufacturing quality, high precision, and "made in Germany". I have mine in use since ten years now, and they never have failed me.

http://www.dhs-electronic.de/index2.php?id=230&lng=en

The basic civilian version is 150 euros (no toe-brakes), the combat version replicating F16 pedals with additional toe-brakes is 280 euros.

One advantage that often is not noticed, is the wider space between both feet, compared to other pedal setups. It makes for a more relaxed sitting position for your legs, and thus a more pleasant session if you fly for longer time.

P.S. I had an old microsoft Sidewinder 3D long time ago, with twisting grip. Believe me, twisting grip and pedals do not compare in precision, feeling and the way you do things.

Crécy 07-16-10 08:14 AM

I might get the pedals first then and get TrackIR in a form of a student version (Freetrack). It seems the pedals are as expensive as TrackIR...

I'm planning to play IL-2, Black shark, AC-10 and maybe Falcon, FlightsimX. So i'll think the pedals are a pretty useful in those games. I'll propably get the one Fincuan recommended as it has a toe brakes and I'm mostly playing combat sims, and the most important thing: somewhat low price :).

Skybird 07-16-10 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crécy (Post 1445838)
I'm planning to play IL-2, Black shark, AC-10 and maybe Falcon, FlightsimX.

AC-10 I do not know. For Falcon 4, pedals are no must. For IL-2. Black Shark, they are inevitable. For FSX they are a must if you do a lot of flying with medium sized and small planes. with big airliners where you focus on cockpit avionics anyway, they are no top priority.

Crécy 07-16-10 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skybird (Post 1445991)
AC-10 I do not know. For Falcon 4, pedals are no must. For IL-2. Black Shark, they are inevitable. For FSX they are a must if you do a lot of flying with medium sized and small planes. with big airliners where you focus on cockpit avionics anyway, they are no top priority.

Ok, thanks. AC-10 is the coming simulator from the makers of the Black Shark I believe.

Raptor1 07-16-10 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crécy (Post 1446020)
Ok, thanks. AC-10 is the coming simulator from the makers of the Black Shark I believe.

A-10C.

FIREWALL 07-16-10 12:13 PM

Amazon by way of SubSim is your friend. :DL

CH Products Rudder Pedals $100.18 & free shipping. http://www.amazon.com/CH-Products-Pe...9299964&sr=1-1

Used are about the same price. Why bother.

On most Flight sim websites they get better review than Saitek.

Whereas Saitek has a better yoke.

Simped is the best but, alittle out of a students price range.

Once you fly with pedals you'll never go back.

Crécy 07-16-10 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FIREWALL (Post 1446052)
Amazon by way of SubSim is your friend. :DL

Thanks! There is only one big but. They don't ship to my country :wah:.

FIREWALL 07-17-10 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crécy (Post 1446062)
Thanks! There is only one big but. They don't ship to my country :wah:.

:damn: That's not right. Amazon better fix that.

Highbury 07-17-10 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crécy (Post 1443489)
I take it you are using Freetrack set up? I abandoned that idea because it needs a soldering iron. That might be a good option, though. As a student I have nothing to spare in anything extra so that would be good until I can afford to TrackIR.

Just to jump back to TrackIR and FreeTrack for a min...

If the soldering/do-it-yourself aspect of FreeTrack is a put off, you can purchase the TrackIR Pro Clip for about $35 US, then use the FreeTrack software with it (You can set FreeTrack to work with the TIR Pro Clip). Then you have a decent system for $35 and no engineering required :D I have not tried FreeTrack myself but hear it is almost as good as TIR.