SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   PC Hardware/Software forum (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Screen switch-off is interrupting downloads (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=237574)

Eichhörnchen 05-20-18 03:19 PM

Screen switch-off is interrupting downloads

I'd like to hear whether or not others have had this problem. When downloading stuff I have to agitate the mouse from time to time to stop my screen switching off, otherwise when I turn it back on I invariably find that the dowload was halted at the time the screen went off.

Annoying enough, but now I've had a large mod download interrupted in this way and been unable to resume the download because the 'resume' button doesn't work. Every time the screen goes black the download stops and I get the message "the download was interrupted". Easy to fix? Go to the display settings, right? Well you try finding them in Windows 10... I had to get the answer from bloody Youtube... every new version of Windows seems designed to make formerly simple tasks like this almost impossible.

Well I believe I've turned off all screensaver and sleep activity and the dowload has been started from scratch (about the fifth time now) so we'll see what happens

THEBERBSTER 05-20-18 05:09 PM

Hi E
You need to adjust temporarily or change the Power options to suit your circumstances.
Windows Icon in the Task bar.

Click on > Settings.
Select > System.
Select > Power and Sleep
You will have 2 options.
!. Screen.
2. PC.
Change to > Never.

From the Control Panel
Select > Power options.
You will have 2 options.
1. Choose when to turn off the display.
2. Choose when the computer sleeps.

Peter

BarracudaUAK 05-20-18 05:19 PM

I've had it happen, but it has been several years.
After the first few times, I always go in and turn off all of the 'sleep' options for everything.

I take the view "If I wanted it off, I'd turn it off myself!"

Setting up Win10 for a friend, nothing is where it is supposed to be.
Then again, between 7 and 8/8.1 they moved things too.

Hopefully all goes well this time.

Barracuda

Eichhörnchen 05-21-18 02:22 AM

Thanks, guys... I'd turned the switch off option to 'never' but kept the screensaver as this wasn't interrupting the download. And, as suggested by my pal Threadfin, I also dumped my browser history and cache and made the next download using a different browser. Just for good measure I also made the next download from a different site.

I really thought I'd cracked it when I got up this morning and found it was still going and had reached about 1.7G of a 2.0G download. Then, suddenly,"Failed... server unreachable" I think I've had enough now :haha:

THEBERBSTER 05-21-18 03:17 AM

Hi E
Quote:

"Failed... server unreachable"
Sounds like the server has timed you out if it is a large file download.

Your broadband speed mps also plays a major part in this as well.
Peter

Eichhörnchen 05-21-18 04:09 AM

Our Broadband is pants, so you must be right, Peter. I tried again this morning and already I've got "Failed... network error"

THEBERBSTER 05-21-18 04:53 AM

Hi E
What are you trying to download?
I may be able to help you out if you can send me the link.
I have fibre broadband 35 meg.
A 2 gig download should take about 20 minutes or less.

When downloaded I may be able to split into 2 or more zip files and upload them for you to download from Mediafire.
Peter

Eichhörnchen 05-21-18 06:38 AM

Hi, Peter... it's a total mod for the STALKER game Call of Pripyat and called the 'Misery' mod (now I know why :haha:)

I've been immersed in this again in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. thread ('General Games Discussion') so you can read more about it there if you wish

Here's the link provided by Threadfin: http://themiserymod.com/.... if it works, would you be able to make them 7z?

Thanks for your help, mate :yep:

THEBERBSTER 05-21-18 06:43 AM

Hi E
I'm on to it 11 minutes to download.
Try to get it to you as soon a.s.a.p depending on what I find.

Peter

Eichhörnchen 05-21-18 07:56 AM

No rush, mate :)

THEBERBSTER 05-21-18 10:19 AM

Hi E
PM sent.
job completed.
Peter