SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   RFB mod bug (?): "passing thermal layer" on loop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=238161)

PaleBlueDot 07-24-18 08:46 AM

RFB mod bug (?): "passing thermal layer" on loop

Hello all.

I'm using the RFB 2.0 and RSRD campaign mods.

When I start a new American career in my Tambor class boat, the officer keeps repeating "passing thermal layer" on loop, even though I'm surfaced!

This starts as soon as I begin the campaign (not inside the harbor -- since this also gives me graphical glitches for some reason).

Hopefully one of you has an idea on how to solve this issue? It's quite a game-breaker.

rein1705 07-24-18 09:51 AM

HI, this happens to me from time to time in both German and US campaigns with TMO and RSRDC.
In fact it happened last night.
I started off at Midway in a Gato and the "passing thermal layer" started looping.
Well i ignored it long enough to get my boat straightened out and on course then went into time compression.
Usually after a while at 250X time compression until im away from the spawn point and it stops goofing around.

Another thing you can try is to get away from the harbor and save the game, then go to menu and reload it.

Good Hunting
:arrgh!:

propbeanie 07-24-18 11:42 AM

Two main things can cause similar, though there are other ways to have it start. The main cause for some people is "shelling-out" to Windows by using the <Ctrl> or <Alt> <Tab> key combinations, or just using the <Windows> key. SH4 is an old WinXP game, and 'modern' versions of Windows now "lock" the audio stream. If you shell-out, the audio stream can get either confused, muted or "stuck" in a loop. The second way an audio loop can occur is via "mod soup", where you load a Saved game, but it is from either a previous version of SH4, or was made when there were different mods activated. Sometimes, that results in incompatible files residing in the game.

In the first case, a re-start of the game will "filx" the issue, or sometimes via the way rein1705 mentions, though you can sometimes end up with a mostly mute game. All computers are different, and some people can shell-out and never have an issue. Others can use a "Windowed" mode with the game and have no issues. If you're like me though, if you sneeze too hard, you might have to re-start the game... :roll:

In the 2nd case, sometimes just eliminating old Saved games will work, sometimes avoiding loading them works, and other times, you have to do a fresh install and empty the Saved game folder (My Documents / SH4). Again, it depends upon your computer...

A third way is by running The Museum and then running the game. For whatever reason, it seems that The Museum does not release everything back to Windows and the game's menu when it is exited... :salute:

Aoogahman 08-07-18 02:06 PM

It happened to me when I was still at the dock at Pearl. I let it run on while I motored out of the harbor and set course for the East China sea. It eventually went away, maybe it was after I cranked up the time compression, not sure. I may also have shelled out once or twice by accidentally punching the Windows key. Since reading up on this particular issue elsewhere in this great forum, I've been trying to break the bad habit. I'll keep at it!

Webster 08-15-18 01:46 PM

its not really a RFB bug as it is just a bug with the game itself, same thing with co2 levels not dropping when you surface or hatches

the fix is often as simple as to just save and reload, or submerge and resurface to fix these bugs or wait for a new event to change things to stop the loop