SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   Dumb Question:What does the 4 gig patch do? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=177503)

irish1958 12-01-10 09:31 AM

Jan Kyster
Thanks for the info;
This is an example of how good science works
State a problem, form a premise, gather data to support or refute the premise, form a conclusion supported by the gathered data,
Publish the results and invite comment.
I tested the premise and can confirm that the museum is viewable with the 4Gb patch installed on Win7, 64 bits.

Madox58 12-01-10 10:15 AM

@Jan Kyster,

Great report!
I knew you would give us the needed facts in a
concise way.
:rock:

jldjs 12-02-10 04:34 PM

Not sure how to install patch or if I should

I run SHIV 1.5 modded to TMO2 on XP Pro on x86 processor. I have 4GB memory. I tried to install patch by executing it and got error message saying it can't install 'cause it couldn't verify version of SH.exe. Huh? I installed it in C:\SHIV, not C:\Program Files\etc..etc. What am I doing wrong?

Madox58 12-02-10 06:38 PM

Did you browse to your install folder or just click and hope it would find it?

jldjs 12-02-10 07:13 PM

I browsed to C:\SHIV 1,5 which is the folder that I installed into. There is an SH.exe in that folder. I tried three other folders which also have modded versions of SHIV and got the same error, something about can't verify the version of SH.exe.

Madox58 12-02-10 07:30 PM

OK.
It was my fault.
I pointed to the 1.2 version by mistake.
Don't know why I have that .exe hanging around.
:nope:

I'll rebuild and update the patch.
Thanks for catching this.
:yeah:

Madox58 12-02-10 07:41 PM

Here's the fix.
http://www.mediafire.com/?tup80dnapf8uiug

SubSim version updated now also.
:up:

jldjs 12-03-10 08:05 AM

Ok I'll try it tonight. What do you think I can expect from installing
this fix?

MaddogK 12-03-10 12:15 PM

I'd like to know if anyone has tested this fix with a manually defined swap file size instead of the windows default setting of 'system managed size'.

As an old gamer trick to stabilize some flaky games is to 'fix' the virtual memory size at 1.5 times the size of physical memory I'm wondering if this fix will help anyone with a fixed virtual memory size less than 4GB (or 3GB on 32 bit XP pro).

jldjs 12-03-10 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by privateer (Post 1545826)
Here's the fix.
http://www.mediafire.com/?tup80dnapf8uiug

SubSim version updated now also.
:up:

I Dl'd from SubSim because my aV software detected a threat at mediafire.
Troed to install with the new .exe, and it got past the version problem but presented another message that "a file was write protected, did I want to overwrite". Was not sure waht file was protected, (SH4.exe?) and did not know how to answer so I cancelled. Please advise.

Madox58 12-03-10 05:20 PM

It's OK to overwrite it.
You can always make a copy of the SH4.exe before you patch it also.
SH4.exe is marked as read only for whatever reason.
(Not like anything writes to that file and a Virus/Trojan would do it anyway without you knowing)
This patch at SubSim does not look at or touch any other files!

You might see no difference with the Game.
But it's been proven that it can now access more memory.
And that would mean less chances of any crashes do to memory limits.
Op Munson Museum was the bench mark.
No patch = crash!
Patch = Museum works!

drakkhen20 12-11-10 12:11 AM

ive got windows 7 x64 bit and had no problems with patch. was wondering what it did exactly.good explainations in these post. I have noticed shorter loading times on my system when patch was applied. but everyone has a diffrent setup. this patch can be applied to other exe files as stated but moat of the time you dont see much of a diffrence. also if you run your screen reses above 1024 it helps to take the load off your cpu if you have a decent video card or 2 3 way sli or crossfire. as stated in seeing diffrence I have installed patch on games like oblivion and not noticed diffrence but the game it self might not need to exceed or use 1g of ram. sh4 does seem a rather stable game in stock trim until modded heavely. so this patch is a good thing. good testing by the way. I had no problems with sh3 either but patched it anyway. also helps on driving games as well such as nfs where your system is taxed trying to load up coming scenery, but alot has to deal with what kind of system you have put together or baught.

Alky 12-11-10 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kpt. Hess (Post 1543853)
Just on a side note - there are other games that may also profit from this patch.

I'd like to try it on other games but the patch looks for sh4.exe specifically, how do you get around that?

Madox58 12-11-10 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alky (Post 1552003)
I'd like to try it on other games but the patch looks for sh4.exe specifically, how do you get around that?

The patch hosted here is only for SH4 version 1.5
I did it that way to avoid problems with the Creator of the original
version that will patch nearly every program.
If you want the Multi-program that patches all kinds of stuff?
I can send you a link by PM.
:salute:

Alky 12-11-10 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by privateer (Post 1552006)
The patch hosted here is only for SH4 version 1.5
I did it that way to avoid problems with the Creator of the original
version that will patch nearly every program.
If you want the Multi-program that patches all kinds of stuff?
I can send you a link by PM.
:salute:

Ah, thank you, I didn't understand there was a second version. Thank you for the link, I have downloaded it :)