SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Crashing at homeport (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=195020)

CptLoonee 05-07-12 07:43 PM

Crashing at homeport

It would seem no matter what mods I have installed, I crash to desktop at my home port.

It got so bad that I removed everything and reinstalled the game, and it is STILL happening.

Is there anyway to end the patrol away from shore??

Here are my current mods, but as I said, it happens regardless of what I have loaded.

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/892/modsoup.png

Bubblehead1980 05-07-12 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CptLoonee (Post 1880957)
It would seem no matter what mods I have installed, I crash to desktop at my home port.

It got so bad that I removed everything and reinstalled the game, and it is STILL happening.

Here are my current mods, but as I said, it happens regardless of what I have loaded.

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/892/modsoup.png

Look up the 4 gig patch for SH 4, it will help.I was getting a lot of crashes with RSRD also when near ports, not anymore.

Hylander_1314 05-07-12 10:05 PM

Cpt Loonee,

You might want to try this little mod,

SH4 Validater

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=187629

It might help you find what is causing your CTD issue.

With your mod soup you have, it is possible there may be a conflict going on that could take forever trying to figure out.

torpedobait 05-08-12 03:31 PM

If the 4Gb patch doesn't work for you (it didn't for some of us) you can do a search for a Large Address Array utility. Download it and run it. I use it for both SH4 (TMO 2.5/RSRD, etc.) and SH3GWX with no problems since.

Good luck!:salute:

Hylander_1314 05-08-12 03:55 PM

Yeah, I use the Large Address Array Utility too. SH4, BoBII, and Over Flanders Fields. Stopped almost every lockup, and CTD since. In fact, I can't remember the last time a game CTDed.

WernherVonTrapp 05-08-12 04:15 PM

That's quite a Mod Soup you've got mixed in there CptLoonee.
Do you need all of those Radar fix mods and are you certain that they're all meant to be run on top of one another? Also, I may be wrong but, isn't the Living Breathing Ocean an Environmental mod? If it is, I'm not sure it's meant to be run on top of TMO, which already has an environmental mod built into it.

Also, just out of curiosity from anyone who knows: does the lighter text in JSGME indicate the mods that have been overwritten?:hmmm:

pabbi 05-08-12 05:24 PM

Quote:

just out of curiosity from anyone who knows: does the lighter text in JSGME indicate the mods that have been overwritten?:hmmm:

Yes, a mod has been overwritten when a lighter text is written.

CptLoonee 05-09-12 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torpedobait (Post 1881285)
If the 4Gb patch doesn't work for you (it didn't for some of us) you can do a search for a Large Address Array utility. Download it and run it. I use it for both SH4 (TMO 2.5/RSRD, etc.) and SH3GWX with no problems since.

Good luck!:salute:

Do you happen to know where I can find that? I have had no luck searching for it.

Hylander_1314 05-09-12 07:08 PM

Sorry, it's Large Address Aware Utility.

It is in the first post on this thread from a forum link.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=112556

Read the post to get a lttle backround on how to use it.

CptLoonee 05-10-12 05:26 PM

It would seem I have solved my crash issues for all but my Fletcher-class DD campaign, in which I simply cannot return to port...ever, no matter what other mods are used or what third party software is used to increase resources.

This is highly frustrating, as I have so much enjoyed playing as a surface ship and I thought I had finally gotten one to work.

Back to the drawing board I guess.

Thanks for the help.

peabody 05-10-12 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CptLoonee (Post 1880957)

You said you reinstalled the game and it is still happening? Did you run the game with NO mods installed and have it ctd?

Among other things mentioned, you have 3 pre Pearl Harbor Career starts in there. So you are either changing the same file 3 times or possibly creating date conflicts if they don't change the same files. Could be a million reasons with a MOD list like that.
Try stock with NO mods and add one at a time.

CptLoonee 05-11-12 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peabody (Post 1882357)
You said you reinstalled the game and it is still happening? Did you run the game with NO mods installed and have it ctd?

Among other things mentioned, you have 3 pre Pearl Harbor Career starts in there. So you are either changing the same file 3 times or possibly creating date conflicts if they don't change the same files. Could be a million reasons with a MOD list like that.
Try stock with NO mods and add one at a time.

Yeah it still crashes with everything gone but TMO and the Fletcher mod.

peabody 05-11-12 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CptLoonee (Post 1882416)
Yeah it still crashes with everything gone but TMO and the Fletcher mod.

Try it without the Fletcher, then try it without the TMO or the Fletcher, just SH4 stock. If it still has a problem, you may need to reinstall the game. But if it does not then add TMO, try it, then add TMO and Fletcher and if it crashes then there is either something wrong with the Fletcher or a conflict with the Fletcher and TMO. I suspect it may be a conflict with TMO and Fletcher.

CptLoonee 05-11-12 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peabody (Post 1882417)
Try it without the Fletcher, then try it without the TMO or the Fletcher, just SH4 stock. If it still has a problem, you may need to reinstall the game. But if it does not then add TMO, try it, then add TMO and Fletcher and if it crashes then there is either something wrong with the Fletcher or a conflict with the Fletcher and TMO. I suspect it may be a conflict with TMO and Fletcher.

It works fine without the Fletcher. Makes me sad, as I was looking forward to a surface campaign.

peabody 05-11-12 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CptLoonee (Post 1882716)
It works fine without the Fletcher. Makes me sad, as I was looking forward to a surface campaign.

Well, the problem may not be the Fletcher, it may be the combination of the Fletcher with TMO. In JSGME, enable TMO, then enable the Fletcher and make a note of the files that get overwritten. It will give you a list, I am sure you have noticed that and there may be a simple solution to the problem.

Maybe if you copy/paste the list of file changes, someone may have an answer.

What might be happening is that the Fletcher overwrites a TMO file and messes up TMO, thus causing the CTD. So both files may be perfect but just don't play well together. But maybe it can be fixed.

Did you do any supply drop or agent insertion mission with the Fletcher? That has been a problem with surface ships.