SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Comments to SUBSIM Review (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   Dowly's missing token (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=161388)

Dowly 02-02-10 10:26 AM

Dowly's missing token

Anyone else getting this error message after today's downtime? :o
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...rret/huh-1.jpg

I cant say for sure if it's the forum that is acting up or that I updated my firefox to 3.6. :hmmm: Anywho, gotten this three times already (once posting, once polling and once when trying to PM Neal about it :doh:).

danlisa 02-02-10 11:06 AM

Had it on occasion mate but it usually clears itself.

On the subject of the forum downtime, it always seems to be the same time each day. I usually loose it around 9/10am (GMT).

Have the servers got automatic updates enabled which require reboots? Had this problem before on private servers. ;)

Dowly 02-02-10 11:59 AM

Aye, have noticed that it's quite often down around that time. :hmmm:

martes86 02-02-10 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danlisa (Post 1255808)
On the subject of the forum downtime, it always seems to be the same time each day. I usually loose it around 9/10am (GMT).

Yes, and it's been going on for several days now, such a compromised uptime is not good for a site such as this, and it totally beats the purpose of a website being in a dedicated server.

Onkel Neal 02-03-10 12:30 AM

I know, but I am having ZERO luck finding an SQL technician to hire. :damn:

danlisa 02-03-10 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal Stevens (Post 1256745)
I know, but I am having ZERO luck finding an SQL technician to hire. :damn:

Ohh, can't really help there.:cry:

I suspect your technicians have already suggested the following but it's worth saying it.

As the crashes are (nearly) daily and at the same time, it has to be a scheduled task. Either a Db backup job or a Log Flush, which incidentally has caused similar problems with many SQL Db in the past.

I'm not sure of the platform OS this is all running on but if we assume that the crashes occur @ 10am GMT, that should be 3am US. That is the normal time for OS automatic updates.

I know next to nothing about SQL coding etc but I do know that 'experts' will always look for the hardest and most in depth issues possible, as if trying to prove their e-manliness. :haha: They never check the obvious.

Onkel Neal 02-03-10 09:29 AM

Yes, my thinking too:

Quote:

Originally Posted by server techs
We checked the logs, and found that the logs are missing between 7.00 AM and 7.50AM. But the cron set for running mysql backup seems to have got completed long before that. This indicates that the root cause of the server down was not backup, but something else.

Daily backups are good idea for MySQL databases. Especially if they are being updated constantly. The backup run at 4:00am CST, have you experienced any slow response times from the server around this time? If not, they are not stressing the server and you can leave it as it is.

I have modified the backups to occur weekly, so we shall see if the problem continues on the backup day.

Hitman 02-03-10 09:32 AM

Quote:

I am having ZERO luck finding an SQL technician to hire
So much for capitalism and the market solving all problems of supply and demand :haha:

Dowly 02-03-10 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hitman (Post 1256990)
So much for capitalism and the market solving all problems of supply and demand :haha:

LMAO! :har:

Onkel Neal 02-03-10 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hitman (Post 1256990)

Haha! Yeah, or maybe the demander needs to get smarter about finding the supply :haha:

Dowly 02-05-10 08:34 PM

Let's hope it helps! :salute: (Tho, the security token thingy still remains.)

Onkel Neal 02-05-10 09:02 PM

Describe the security token thing, please. When do you get it? Which browser, any other details will be great, thanks.:shucks:

Dowly 02-05-10 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal Stevens (Post 1259448)
Describe the security token thing, please. When do you get it? Which browser, any other details will be great, thanks.:shucks:

I posted screenshot of the message to the other thread (Click!).

It seems completely random, I've had it appear when posting, editing, changing my sig and PM'ing. It's no biggie, it goes away when I hit the back button in my browser and submit again.

Onkel Neal 02-06-10 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dowly (Post 1259583)
I posted screenshot of the message to the other thread (Click!).

It seems completely random, I've had it appear when posting, editing, changing my sig and PM'ing. It's no biggie, it goes away when I hit the back button in my browser and submit again.

Ok, thanks, checking into it now. How often do you get this, would you say? I think maybe your sig has something to do with it, would you mind removing it and trying without a sig for a while? You're the only person with a 400K sig ;) Try it without sig, let me know if it comes up again.

Edit: You are using the SmartDark style, right?

Danlissa, you are seeing this too? Using SmartDark style? Anyone else get this?

The Enigma 02-06-10 05:53 PM

"Anyone else get this?"

I'm using smartdark style, but haven't got "token error popups" yet.