SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Wolfpack (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=277)
-   -   Confused with radio direction finder... (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226618)

Lymark1 06-20-16 04:33 PM

Confused with radio direction finder...

Based on the description, If I align both direction finder and antenna, I could silence off the radio on that frequency. Does it mean that I could intentionally break off enemy's radio communication that way?

Side question: Is there a way to dive deeper? It seems like the deepest I could go is 95m for some reason?

Thanks!

Onkel Neal 06-20-16 05:56 PM

The deepest part of the water in this mission ranges from 85 to 110 feet, give or take a little, so you may have been on the bottom.

Frederf 06-20-16 06:59 PM

You cannot disrupt the KM communication. The cancellation is happening only inside your own radio equipment.

Aktungbby 06-20-16 08:55 PM

Welcome aboard!

Lymark1!:Kaleun_Salute:

Lymark1 06-21-16 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onkel Neal (Post 2413056)
The deepest part of the water in this mission ranges from 85 to 110 feet, give or take a little, so you may have been on the bottom.

Ahh! Didn't think of that. :haha:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frederf (Post 2413081)
You cannot disrupt the KM communication. The cancellation is happening only inside your own radio equipment.

So my another guess will be using the antenna to find out enemy's position?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aktungbby (Post 2413100)
Lymark1!:Kaleun_Salute:

:Kaleun_Salute:

Frederf 06-28-16 12:32 PM

I recommend using the decoded message to find the grid of the target. Then use the map and own position calculate the range of bearings which cover that grid. Prepare the DF antenna toward this bearing

Then when the target signals again sweep the DF antenna over your calculated bearing range and look for bearings where the DF equipment light is dark but the bottom omni-directional radio gear is still receiving the signal.

Onkel Neal 06-28-16 08:57 PM

Nice! you just taught me something :salute:

green_abobo 12-25-16 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frederf (Post 2415118)
I recommend using the decoded message to find the grid of the target. Then use the map and own position calculate the range of bearings which cover that grid. Prepare the DF antenna toward this bearing

Then when the target signals again sweep the DF antenna over your calculated bearing range and look for bearings where the DF equipment light is dark but the bottom omni-directional radio gear is still receiving the signal.

ok i think then the purpose of all this is to narrow down which of the contacts is indeed Z18?

What does it mean to "calculate the range of bearings"? I can draw lines @ bearings sure, but im a little confused about the rest there.

also, unrelated, is there a way to lower the periscope or is it fixed for a reason?

Sorry im dense. Used to silent hunter where crew does everything for you.

Happy holidays.

Frederf 01-25-17 04:31 AM

Yes, which is Z18 is the goal.

By range of bearings I mean if you know your position and Z18 is inside grid X# then you can figure out he is bearing 330 or 331 or 332 or 333 or.... a selection of bearings which make up a fan or arc. The direction to Z18 cannot be any direction but only a small angle size off maybe 10 degrees wide (from left edge of grid to right edge).

It's been ages but I think periscope is fixed because it's super WIP.