SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Classic Subsims (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   688i and XP (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=96047)

jenewman2 07-23-06 08:53 AM

688i and XP

I'm a new user, and just (finally) located a virgin copy of 688i, complete with manual. I loaded the application and tried to start the tutorial but I get a Windows error immediately and the application shuts down. I know this is an old app and the interface with XP is probably an issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

joe

Goat 08-24-06 04:10 PM

Sorry as can be...Mate. *I* just got a 'virgin' copy of 688i...w/book... and it works perfectly on my XP machine...100% stock H/P.

I have heard of some guys [on the airplane forums] who had to use the Compatibility Mode gizmo...Start > Programs > Accessories > 'Program compatability wizard'.

Try that... use WIN 95 ...

I felt like I was beating my head against a rock, trying to get started on Dangerous Waters... Maybe 688i will be softer starting...

Ramius 08-24-06 04:44 PM

Grab the Renderware DLL files at the bottom of this page

http://www.sonalystscombatsims.com/d...oad_games.html

I know they say for Windows 2K, but they do work on XP :yep:
And of course grab the patches whilst your there :up::up:

Goat 08-24-06 05:26 PM

Where do you extract those *.dll files to ?? [By the way, when I tried to use the 1.07 patch, I was advised I was lacking 'mss32.dll'... and so I never could install the patch]

By the way, XP *is* Windows 2K, with some 'frosting'...

Goat 08-24-06 06:07 PM

Uhhhhh........ [meekly] I see where it says to extract them... s-o-r-r-y...

Ramius 08-24-06 06:35 PM

lol, np.

I was just gonna post to read above the download link too :rotfl:

Goat 08-24-06 06:44 PM

Well..... it isn't that I don't *read* the stuff... it is that I read it too, TOO... fast, looking for the exact thing I think I'm looking for..................LOL

The General 08-25-06 03:46 AM

The one that got away.

I used to play Red Strom Rising on cassette (Commodore 64), way back when. In my Los Angeles Class, I once spent three hours chasing a signature I couldn't pin down, in the post-mission briefing it turned out to be a Typhoon 2 class, the same model as the theoretical Red October! Does anybody know were I might be able to pick-up a copy of Red Storm for the PC and would it even work with XP?

ChristopherTarana 03-31-17 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The General (Post 298707)
I used to play Red Strom Rising on cassette (Commodore 64), way back when. In my Los Angeles Class, I once spent three hours chasing a signature I couldn't pin down, in the post-mission briefing it turned out to be a Typhoon 2 class, the same model as the theoretical Red October! Does anybody know were I might be able to pick-up a copy of Red Storm for the PC and would it even work with XP?

WinVice works with Windows XP or Windows 7. I have my C= 64 and VIC-20 boxed up in storage totes. I wouldn't dare fire them up these days!! WinVice is the best freeware Commodore Emulator that I have found. And GEOS has been released for free by its publisher too.:salute:

Christopher Tarana

ChristopherTarana 03-31-17 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenewman2 (Post 284042)
I'm a new user, and just (finally) located a virgin copy of 688i, complete with manual. I loaded the application and tried to start the tutorial but I get a Windows error immediately and the application shuts down. I know this is an old app and the interface with XP is probably an issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

joe

I have Windows XP Home Media Edition 32 Bit on my desktop computer and installed my copy of 688 Hunter Killer, and it's running fine. Is your version of XP 32 bit or 64 bit?

Christopher Tarana