SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 5 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   Do we really need a Silent Hunter 6? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=166229)

TDK1044 03-26-10 01:39 PM

Do we really need a Silent Hunter 6?

You know, we have Silent Hunter III with the truly excellent Grey Wolves Expansion mod. We have Silent Hunter IV and the excellent mods to both the fleet boat game and the U Boat game. Now we have Silent Hunter 5, which by the end of the year will be a heavily modded and very playable game.

I personally wouldn't mind at all if we didn't see another WWII sub sim for 3 or 4 years. At that point, either Ubisoft could release another one, hopefully having learned something from the SH5 fiasco, or there may even be a new interested Publisher by then.

I think the last thing we need is 'Silent Hunter 6 Fiasco in the Pacific' about 12 months down the line.

IanC 03-26-10 01:44 PM

If they push out a defective SH6, the same as SH4 and 5, then forget it! Either Ubi takes the time and delivers a quality product, or give me no product at all.
I've pretty much dismissed Ubisoft as competent in the simulator dept anyways.

Buddahaid 03-26-10 01:45 PM

And my bones tell me the DRM schemes are here to stay for PC games, so we just might as well move out of our parents basements and learn how to kiss girls. :o

janh 03-26-10 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDK1044 (Post 1335360)
I think the last thing we need is 'Silent Hunter 6 Fiasco in the Pacific' about 12 months down the line.

But if you look at their now often cites 2010 strategy paper for more regular, shorter release cycles for their franchise, you probably will have SHVI in rather little time if they succeed (and this disaster doesn't turn out to be terminal).

Maybe you guys should start asking Ubisoft to keep at patching and develop some substantial addons for a while instead of the other alternative?

janh 03-26-10 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buddahaid (Post 1335369)
And my bones tell me the DRM schemes are here to stay for PC games, so we just might as well move out of our parents basements and learn how to kiss girls. :o

Heck, what is this "girls" now? I can't find it in the menus or keyboard macros! Or is this the thing someone should mod onto the beaches and piers of the SHV environment so we can take "recon photos" through the periscope of it?

BlackSpot 03-26-10 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buddahaid (Post 1335369)
... might as well move out of our parents basements and learn how to kiss girls. :o

Go for it !

http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/7043/uglygirl.jpg

Gunnodayak 03-26-10 01:55 PM

I believe we don't need any more submarine related Ubi product, and your question makes me think of about ... let's say 2012 autumn, when from the same well known reasons, somebody will ask like you are asking today: "We really need Silent Hunter 7?"

If finally Ubi will drop off this franchise, they will release one spot for another potential publisher, one that will probably not have the nerve to sell on the market one beta stage game like Ubi is doing since 2005.

alexradu89 03-26-10 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDK1044 (Post 1335360)
You know, we have Silent Hunter III with the truly excellent Grey Wolves Expansion mod. We have Silent Hunter IV and the excellent mods to both the fleet boat game and the U Boat game. Now we have Silent Hunter 5, which by the end of the year will be a heavily modded and very playable game.

I personally wouldn't mind at all if we didn't see another WWII sub sim for 3 or 4 years. At that point, either Ubisoft could release another one, hopefully having learned something from the SH5 fiasco, or there may even be a new interested Publisher by then.

Have you ever heard of the Cold War ?(even though there weren't any fights between USA and USSR) Ever heard of nuclear submarines ? :yeah: There's your possible SH6 theme.

Buddahaid 03-26-10 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackSpot (Post 1335377)

:o............:o............:o.................... ...........................:()1::o

GuillermoZS 03-26-10 02:05 PM

And how about moving SH series to modern warfare? Like happened with Call of Duty. Think about Dangerous Waters with the SH5 graphics... and being able to move around an LA class sub or an Akula (at least some rooms)

GuillermoZS 03-26-10 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexradu89 (Post 1335411)
Have you ever heard of the Cold War ?(even though there weren't any fights between USA and USSR) Ever heard of nuclear submarines ? :yeah: There's your possible SH6 theme.

LOL it seems we replied at the same time...

bigboywooly 03-26-10 02:12 PM

Whos to say you wont get a DLC expansion for SH5 adding in the Pacific

Nordmann 03-26-10 02:18 PM

If in a few years time they decide to do another Silent Hunter, or an expansion for SH5, I would really, really like to see something other than U-boats and Fleet Boats. Perhaps British submarines for a change? Has there ever been a sim covering British subs?

BlackSpot 03-26-10 02:33 PM

@ Buddahaid ROLF:har:

You'll be fine as long as you keep your beer goggles on. Oh, and remember to put a paper bag over your head in case hers splits

Iron Budokan 03-26-10 03:01 PM

I'd as soon not have Ubi involved in another sub sim if /5 is any indication of what we have to face in the future. Just sayin'.