SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   SH4 Wins (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=229084)

Unclelevi 01-03-17 08:33 AM

SH4 Wins

I know when I'm beat. I bought SH4 download from Amazon to load on Windows 10 and I've tried for 2 days to get it to run and it just won't. Ya gotta know when you're licked.

fitzcarraldo 01-03-17 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unclelevi (Post 2455813)
I know when I'm beat. I bought SH4 download from Amazon to load on Windows 10 and I've tried for 2 days to get it to run and it just won't. Ya gotta know when you're licked.

Put it with Windows XP or 7 compatibility and run with administrator privileges.

Use 4Gb patch if you have more than 2 Gb RAM.

Install the update 1.4 to 1.5 if you don't have already it.

Many people here use SH4 heavily modded in W10 without problems.

Welcome aboard and good luck!

Fitzcarraldo :salute:

Unclelevi 01-03-17 08:59 AM

PM

Hi Fitzcarraldo. Sent you a PM

cdrsubron7 01-03-17 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unclelevi (Post 2455813)

Could you please list your computer specs and whether your using a desktop or laptop?

BTW, Welcome to the Subsim community. :salute:

Unclelevi 01-03-17 11:27 AM

Computer

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 15 , 7000 Series Lap top and Windows 10. I've been advised to load SH4 on Windows XP or Windows 7, but I don't know how to do that.

propbeanie 01-03-17 11:57 AM

Use the "Compatibility Mode". Right-click on the file name, choose "Properties" from the pop-up context menu, towards the bottom of the list, then left-click on the "Compatibilty" tab, and chose your OS in the top drop-down box. Once that's set, right-click once again on the file name, and this time choose "Run as Administrator" near the top of the list. You'll need to use the file Explorer, which I forget it's name in Win10, but on my sons' computers, it's available on the "Start" menu...

Rockin Robbins 01-03-17 02:15 PM

<non-serious sarcasm>Steam and SH4 load into Ubuntu Linux PERFECTLY and easily. A real operating system doesn't treat its own owner as a trojan horse.</non-serious sarcasm>

There are many people on the site here who use Windows 10 and can instruct you how to defang Microsoft and allow your game to run. Hopefully you can do some one on one with one of them and you can play the game.

It's worth the hassle--don't give up!:up::up::up:

gutted 01-03-17 05:22 PM

Windows 10 user here. I have the retail version of SH4 and not a single issue. Didn't have to do anything special.