SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Subsim Events & Activities (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=236)
-   -   SUBSIM: 20 years on the web & still no gold watch! (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=229441)

bracer 01-26-17 07:11 AM

Yeah! 1997!
I was 13 and got my first electric guitar, which pretty much have shaped my life.
I was saving money to buy a Nintendo 64, which had 3d graphics!!!! :-o

It was not until many years later I got into flight sims,
which spiraled down to surface ships with Destroyer Command
and even further down under with SH3
and then I discoverd SubSim.com.

Cheers!!

Jimbuna 01-26-17 07:19 AM

On the day before (25th January 1997) I was celebrating the wifes 40th birthday.

Gargamel 01-26-17 07:30 AM

That was my freshman -> sophmore year of college. Normal college stuff I guess. Pledged to APO (International service co-ed fraternity, based on the Boy scouts), Got engaged (broke up with her a few years later though).

Gargamel 01-26-17 07:32 AM

Grats Neal!

I've called a few places "home" on the net before, but none like this place. While I may not be an avid playing subsimmer right now, I still love the community. That's why, even if I am posting regularly on other forums on various topics, I always try to check in here at least once a day.

Thank you Neal.

gmccabe01 01-26-17 07:43 AM

Was a Radar,Radio Tech in the Irish Naval Service.
Got Divorced,
Came back from 6 month U.N. deployment in Lebanon,
Overall had a great year (was 23)

:Kaleun_Cheers:

Castout 01-26-17 08:19 AM

In 1997 I was in my second year of high school. I was garnering a reputation as a good student. I enjoyed studying and relied on myself to study from textbooks while other students relied on classes. It was good old times for me.
High hopes and dreams.

CapnScurvy 01-26-17 09:07 AM

1997..........I was in my mid 40's, had been married for 24 years (and still going!!). I had moved into the "country" 12 years earlier, to start a farm from city life upbringings. We were heavy in 4H...... Club Advisors, County Livestock Judging Team Advisors (I was learning too), my son had the Grand Champion Hog that year at our County Fair.

I was still 2 years away from getting my Gold Watch for 25 years of service to my public employer...so, you're almost there Neal!!

Thanks for the website and your commitment to being a Submarine "junky" like the rest of us!

Admiral Halsey 01-26-17 09:14 AM

I was 4 that year Jesus time flies. Honestly not much to remember other then I was an ass then.

Mike Abberton 01-26-17 09:46 AM

In 1997, I was ...

About 6 years out of college
At my second "real" job in Newburyport Mass, getting ready to find a 3rd
Playing mostly role-playing and flight sims on a PC
Indulging in a life-time of interest in military matters, but not as much on the PC
Probably read Red Storm Rising for the 5th or 6th time.

Lewis Wingerter 01-26-17 09:55 AM

Wow it hard to believe it been 20 years; I was in my upper 40 and my son was graduating from high school. I remember going to the site because I an a subsim playing nut.
Onkeal Neal created the best web site out there!:Kaleun_Thumbs_Up:

daft 01-26-17 10:21 AM

Oh man! 1997. I turned 20 that year. And I met my fiancee a week before my birthday, so we've been together 20 years now. :) It was also the year I decided to quit hockey. My knees had taken a beating and I couldn't really find the motivation to do a season of rehab, so I quit. A decision I sometimes regret, but it is what it is. :) I worked as postman back then. A career I traded for life as a developer, but I still remember the horrible winters delivering mail (and the beautiful Summers!).

I remember the old design! I've visited these forum since forever, and Subsim have been a constant in my life even though I haven't participated everyday. :)

AVGWarhawk 01-26-17 10:28 AM

1997:
Married for 3 years at that point.
Our first child was 2 years of age.
I'm certain I was playing console games at that time

PC came a bit later.

Skybird 01-26-17 10:30 AM

A toast to the founder of all this, without whom we would not be here - not in the first, and not for that long:

Neal Stevens :Kaleun_Applaud:
You surely left your mark on the web, Sir! :Kaleun_Salute:

Back to the lottery.

Andrakis 01-26-17 10:34 AM

I was 10 years old in 1997 and had very little knowledge of what subsims were! However, I did know about a certain SimCity that got me into general computer gaming. My favorite bit was summoning a monster or tornado and letting it wreak havoc on my city - a very 10 year old thing to do.

1997 also gave me my first male teacher in school. He was an extra brought in for a year because we had such a large class. I remember we built model rockets (B cell rockets? I cannot recall), which now that I think about it, probably initially turned me onto scale modelling.

Overall, 1997 was a huge year in turning me into a gamer. It was the year that seeded my initial time sink into so many subsims over the years! :haha:

daft 01-26-17 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skybird (Post 2460959)
A toast to the founder of all this, without whom we would not be here - not in the first, and not for that long:

Neal Stevens :Kaleun_Applaud:
You surely left your mark on the web, Sir! :Kaleun_Salute:

Back to the lottery.

:Kaleun_Cheers::Kaleun_Cheers:

:subsim::up: