SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SHIII Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   [REL] Poor Man Enigma Mod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=218482)

LGN1 02-19-15 03:03 PM

Poor Man Enigma Mod

Hi,

this is a small mod I did for myself some time ago:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4614

Please note that this mod requires some work from the user to be useful (he/she has to create his/her own encrypted radio messages with the provided tool).

Here's the readme:

Poor Man Enigma Mod Readme

by Tycho & LGN1

Nov. 2015

This mod provides a 'poor man' Enigma in SH3. 'Poor man' because the encryption is very weak/poor. However, I consider this not to be very serious because the quality of the encryption hardly matters for a SH3 player.

How it works
------------

The mod consists of two parts: an in-game 'Enigma' (which is draggable) and an external tool to create encrypted radio messages for SH3.

The external tool:
The external tool is a packed perl script which takes all messages in a file named 'messages.txt' and creates a new file 'enc_messages.txt'. This file contains the encrypted messages. Empty spaces in a message are replaced by 'X' and the output is grouped in blocks of four letters. In order to get these messages into SH3, you have to copy the messages to your messages_de.txt or messages_en.txt depending on your language. In addition, the 'enc_messages.txt' also contains a list of numbers and letters. This list is required to decrypt the messages. You have to copy it to your de_menu.txt or en_menu.txt (again depending on your language) at the correct number position.
The script uses the replacement rule as given in the file "code.txt". You can change this if you want. If the script does not find the file "code.txt", it will generate a random code and give the replacement rule at the bottom of the file "enc_messages.txt".

The in-game 'Enigma':
The mod adds an 'Enigma' board to the radio message screen. If the mouse cursor is moved over a letter on the board, a different letter appears (see screenshots). To decrypt a message you just move the mouse cursor for every letter in the message over the corresponding letter on the board and write down the decrypted letter on a paper. A decrypted letter 'X' indicates either the letter 'X' or a space between words.
In addition to the Enigma machine, there is also a notepad which shows the decrypted letter when the encrypted letter is pressed (see screenshot). This notepad allows a quick decryption, however, it has also several drawbacks, see this thread: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=221973 (Second post).

To illustrate the mod and the external tool, I have included a NYGM and GWX version with a single encrypted message. To test it, start the 'Navigation' mission in the academy. At 18:00 you should receive an encrypted message.

Installation for a generic mod setup
------------------------------------
Just activate the mod 'Enigma' and copy the [G37 ...] entries from "Menu_enigma.ini" over your [G37 ...] entries in "menu_1024_768.ini". In addition, you have to add the two fonts to the beginning of the file "menu_1024_768.ini" (with the correct numbering. You might have to adapt the font numbering to your installation and change the numbers in the G37 block). Finally, you have to add the following entries to your de_menu.txt or en_menu.txt file:

2260=K; =Q
2261=Q; =W
2262=F; =E
2263=O; =R
2264=D; =T
2265=E; =Z
2266=P; =U
2267=Y; =I
2268=X; =O
2269=V; =A
2270=T; =S
2271=S; =D
2272=N; =F
2273=M; =G
2274=U; =H
2275=I; =J
2276=B; =K
2277=W; =P
2278=Z; =Y
2279=H; =X
2280=L; =C
2281=R; =V
2282=C; =B
2283=J; =N
2284=G; =M
2285=A; =L

Some tips
---------
- Before you encrypt messages, remove special characters like ä, ö, ü,... and also replace numbers by their written version, e.g., 7--->seven,...

- If you want to use different decryption keys for different periods, you can use SH3 Commander to adapt the '*_menu.txt' according to the date.

- The mod is set up according to the encryption given in "External Enc Script/code.txt". You can change the encryption if you want, however, in this case you have to change several parts of the mod, see the files in "Tycho Readmes".

- Since decrypting messages can become quite tedious, I recommend to encrypt only important messages for the player. For my personal use I have extracted about 50-100 important messages (e.g., orders concerning historical events,...) which I have encrypted. Now whenever I receive an encrypted message, I'm excited because I know it's important for my SH3 world/campaign. In this case the decryption is really thrilling.

A big thank you to Johnfb who was so kind to give me permission to use the Enigma graphics from his mod (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4300).

Regards, LGN1

Use at own risk! Please post any feedback at Subsim.

Not for comercial use.

Tycho 02-19-15 05:30 PM

Wow, I like it!:rock: Will look at it, this weekend.
But right now, I thought of this radio message screen from Johnfb: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4300
May be, is useful for your mod.

BigWalleye 02-20-15 04:27 PM

Thanks, LGN1! Eager to give this a try. You have added a number of mods that add a lot of immersion. (And that's important in a submarine game!:rotfl2:) Seriously, nice work!

sublynx 02-21-15 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigWalleye (Post 2289646)
Thanks, LGN1! Eager to give this a try. You have added a number of mods that add a lot of immersion. (And that's important in a submarine game!:rotfl2:) Seriously, nice work!

Very true BigWalleye, and the same is true about Tycho with his analog clock, grid xxxx, and now up and coming DR 3 sliderule. I raise a glass to you, Sirs!

:Kaleun_Cheers:

areo16 02-21-15 04:13 AM

Another great mod. Well done. Way to think of a creative way to use what we know about menu_1024_768.ini file!

LGN1 02-21-15 05:13 AM

Thanks for the positive comments!

I'm glad you like it.

Cheers, LGN1

LGN1 03-03-15 04:55 PM

Hi,

I have updated the mod with a much nicer Enigma graphic.

Thanks to Tycho for drawing my attention to this Enigma graphic and a big thank you to Johnfb for giving me permission to use the graphic.

Regards, LGN1

BigWalleye 03-03-15 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LGN1 (Post 2293453)
Hi,

I have updated the mod with a much nicer Enigma graphic.

Thanks to Tycho for drawing my attention to this Enigma graphic and a big thank you to Johnfb for giving me permission to use the graphic.

Regards, LGN1

Looks good! Pretty slick way to use existing capabilities for a novel purpose!

LGN1 03-10-15 03:49 PM

Could anyone decipher the message in the test mission :D ?

Regards, LGN1

BigWalleye 03-13-15 07:17 AM

Just completed my first patrol using Poor Man's Enigma. I tried a slightly different tack than your approach of encrypting parts of the messages.txt file. I decided that the chefsache messages should be the ones addressed to my boat only. So I went into menu.txt and encrypted all the BdU responses and wolfpack messages. Stock has only a half-dozen, but h.sie and Stiebler bring the total to nearly 70. Now, when I send a patrol report or a contact report, I have to wait until I can decrypt it to see BdU's response.

This, of course, is totally unnecessary from a game-play perspective, and perhaps not even historical. But it sure is cool! LGN1, thanks again for a really creative enhancement.

Tycho 04-10-15 06:33 AM

Poor Man Enigma Mod Upgrade

Quote:

Originally Posted by LGN1 (Post 2287994)
Hi,

I will prepare a small mod as 'proof-of-principle'. Maybe some of the more talented GUI modders can turn it into a nice mod... However, it may take a few days.

Regards, LGN1

I'm not so talented, but with some logical thinking, I have this:

Youtube

http://oi57.tinypic.com/alg0ab.jpg
Quote:

18:01 Radio Messages
To: Officer only
1 Mar 40

OPERATIONSxINxTHExATLANTICxARExTOxBExSUSPENDEDxIND EFINITELY
Require a little more manual work from the user, but looks very good.

flag4 04-10-15 10:44 AM

this is a super idea:up:

areo16 04-11-15 04:57 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the reason for the ctd's may be because the HKG are being spawned within the rendering radius of the uboat. And when a ship is added to the campaign layer within the rendering radius, after a save and before a load, then there is a ctd. This is my guess. I'm sure the save game files have information of what is already rendered.

Note: I have not tested this mod yet, but I do have some understanding of how it works.

Tycho 04-11-15 05:15 AM

I think, that this is not for here. Go some topics below.
:):salute:

areo16 04-11-15 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tycho (Post 2305698)
I think, that this is not for here. Go some topics below.
:):salute:

your right. lol