SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   UK Politics Thread (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=220113)

BossMark 03-23-12 12:16 PM

UK Politics Thread

1.petrols price keep rising(and will get even higher)
2.they plan to kill the NHS
3. the dole queues keep on rising due to their horrendous cuts
4.and now they plan this http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16194599

Jimbuna 03-23-12 01:24 PM

Well you know what they say...."We are all in it together" :DL

Oberon 03-23-12 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbuna (Post 1859668)
Well you know what they say...."We are all in it together" :DL

Aye, we are, not them. :O:

Tribesman 03-23-12 03:18 PM

strange logic.
So they are complaining that people are filling up with cheap drink before they hit the social spots and that they do that because the pubs and clubs are too expensive for drinking in in comparison.
Have they ever thought of reducing the tax on beer served in pubs so getting plastered of cheap crappy tasting alcohol before the night starts would be a much less attractive option.

Just out of interest, are beer runs to the mainland still a big business over in britain and will the new proposals make the trips even more lucrative again while feeding the euro coffers and robbing the UK treasury of the duty and VAT?

Jimbuna 03-23-12 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oberon (Post 1859728)
Aye, we are, not them. :O:

Quite likely :hmmm:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribesman (Post 1859740)

Just out of interest, are beer runs to the mainland still a big business over in britain and will the new proposals make the trips even more lucrative again while feeding the euro coffers and robbing the UK treasury of the duty and VAT?

I suspect that will eventually be the outcome/consequence :hmmm:

Herr-Berbunch 03-23-12 04:37 PM

I thought the cost of fuel had ruled out cheap booze-cruise runs, unless you live in Kent!

Homebrew appears to be the future. :hmmm:

jumpy 03-23-12 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBC Comments
You get in from work, you have a shower, get changed, taxi to the nearest pub worth going to, meet friends have a few drinks, grab something to eat and taxi home. - your lucky to have change out of £50
A few cheap cans from the shop and a bag of chips - less than a tenner.
Many people are taking the cheaper option, all this legislation will do is make them even more miserable with life in the UK

Says it all for just about everyone who I know.

Question: Why do many people spend much of their earnings on booze on a weekend?

It's not because of alcoholism, or 'binge drinking culture'... it's because a large percentage of our working population spends long hours in menial jobs, working for bosses who'd fire them as soon as look at them. They have no real chance to put their earnings by for the future or a rainy day, so they go out and enjoy what little of their lives that they can, down the pub with their mates, before they have to go back to work for the next 40-60 hours a week until they're too old to work anymore.

If that's not reason enough to drink a lot, and fight when the opportunity presents itself, I don't know what is.

It's a social and economic issue, like most of britains problems.

Jimbuna 03-23-12 05:09 PM

Times have never changed the working class mans life in recent decades and if I'm tbh none of the three current political parties have the answer...the only difference between them is the 'spin' they put on it.

I've absolutely no time for Clegg and his bunch of minor numbered (parliamentary seat wise) lying cronies but I shudder to think how far Cameron and his sycophants would have gone without the Lib Dems views around the decision making process.

STEED 03-23-12 05:15 PM

The big three between them have screwed this country up.

August 03-23-12 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumpy (Post 1859787)
Says it all for just about everyone who I know.

Question: Why do many people spend much of their earnings on booze on a weekend?

It's not because of alcoholism, or 'binge drinking culture'... it's because a large percentage of our working population spends long hours in menial jobs, working for bosses who'd fire them as soon as look at them. They have no real chance to put their earnings by for the future or a rainy day, so they go out and enjoy what little of their lives that they can, down the pub with their mates, before they have to go back to work for the next 40-60 hours a week until they're too old to work anymore.

If that's not reason enough to drink a lot, and fight when the opportunity presents itself, I don't know what is.

It's a social and economic issue, like most of britains problems.

One of the best posts i've ever read on this forum. It pretty much mirrors what is going on over here too. I hope you Brits find a solution because it doesn't look like we will.

kraznyi_oktjabr 03-23-12 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by August (Post 1859813)
One of the best posts i've ever read on this forum. It pretty much mirrors what is going on over here too. I hope you Brits find a solution because it doesn't look like we will.

If Britons invent the solution would your politicians be ready to swallow the pride and implement it in your side of the pond? :hmmm:

August 03-23-12 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kraznyi_oktjabr (Post 1859816)
If Britons invent the solution would your politicians be ready to swallow the pride and implement it in your side of the pond? :hmmm:

Our politicians can't even agree on the color of poop lately so I doubt it.

In fairness though you gotta remember that we're two different societies with different forms of government so what works for them may not necessarily work for us over here.

Still it'd be interesting to see what they come up with. Brits can be pretty darned clever.

Rockstar 03-23-12 06:38 PM

Lol the Brits and their beer. Ya can't have one without the other its part of their heritage.

I visited many cities and towns throughout the U.S. Of those first settled by the Brits in the 1600 & 1700's all had one thing in common when it came to planning. The very first thing they always built in every single settlement was a pub! Next was the gunpowder storehouse then came business and shelters.

Oberon 03-23-12 09:06 PM

I just keep wondering if history is repeating, it's like we're in the early 1980s all over again. If the Unions hadn't have been massacred by Maggie I imagine we would have heavy strike action going on right now.

Guess the old saying about history repeating because people haven't learnt is true.

And jumpy, you're spot on there. :yep:

Tribesman 03-23-12 09:15 PM

Quote:

I just keep wondering if history is repeating, it's like we're in the early 1980s all over again.
You could make that 1880s and it would still ring true