SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SHIII Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   [REL] Thomsen's Ships V3.1 is out! All credits to H.SIE (10/12/2008) (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=143775)

Commander Gizmo 10-31-08 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uber Gruber
Any chance you can attenuate the very unrealistic "bobbing" of ships in calmer waters. Just one look at the "floating docks" in kiel gives me a stomache ache, how the hell a bloke was supposed to hammer rivets whilst the whole rig is jumping about the place like a rodeo is beyone me.

I get the impression the ships are no where near "heavy" enough in calmer waters. I've been on big, small and medium ships in my time including HMS Sheffield (old destroyer, sunk in Falklands/Malvinas/Whatever)....not one of them bobbed they way SH3 ships do.

Right, thats my "moan of the day" aired....now whose for a came of fluffy care-ball.

You might try the Lifeboats and Debris with Boyancy Update. I makes the boats feel alot 'heavier' in the water.

Philipp_Thomsen 10-31-08 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uber Gruber
Any chance you can attenuate the very unrealistic "bobbing" of ships in calmer waters. Just one look at the "floating docks" in kiel gives me a stomache ache, how the hell a bloke was supposed to hammer rivets whilst the whole rig is jumping about the place like a rodeo is beyone me.

I get the impression the ships are no where near "heavy" enough in calmer waters. I've been on big, small and medium ships in my time including HMS Sheffield (old destroyer, sunk in Falklands/Malvinas/Whatever)....not one of them bobbed they way SH3 ships do.

Right, thats my "moan of the day" aired....now whose for a came of fluffy care-ball.

Bastard! Almost got me fired! :rotfl:

I was reading your "floating dock" comentary and laughing my ass off, when all off the sudden, my boss enters my room and say "whatta hell are you laughing at?". I had to invent a story, it was pretty close...

Anyway, don't worry about the bobbing, I'm fixing that.

No, I'm not improving that, I'm FIXING that!

:up:

Task Force 10-31-08 02:05 PM

Yay, no more hitting fingers while hammering in nails and stuff.:lol:

Erich dem Roten 10-31-08 02:55 PM

I really look forward to seeing how this turns out :up:

My only concern is convoy behavior after it becomes evident it is under attack. Once these big merchants start zig-zagging, are we going to see the convoy lanes smashing through each other? Or will the AI be smart enough to either synchronize its movements or take an evasive course?

Philipp_Thomsen 10-31-08 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erich dem Roten
I really look forward to seeing how this turns out :up:

My only concern is convoy behavior after it becomes evident it is under attack. Once these big merchants start zig-zagging, are we going to see the convoy lanes smashing through each other? Or will the AI be smart enough to either synchronize its movements or take an evasive course?

Ships will behave like ships, they will be slow and heavy, slow acceleration and slow brakes and slow turns, just like a ships should be.

If the ship's ramm eachother, it's not the ship's fault, it's the capitain's fault.

Paul_IronCoffin 10-31-08 04:41 PM

Fantastic news!! Thanks for your efforts Philipp_Thomsen.

...just one cheeky thing. As an accountant I can definitely say WIP = Work In Progress :yep:

cheers
Paul

Philipp_Thomsen 10-31-08 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul_IronCoffin
Fantastic news!! Thanks for your efforts Philipp_Thomsen.

...just one cheeky thing. As an accountant I can definitely say WIP = Work In Progress :yep:

cheers
Paul

Really? I always thought it was "within production"... :lol:

Great, thanks for letting me know! :up:

Philipp_Thomsen 11-01-08 09:55 AM

The most strange thing just happened now. I went to bed late, around 3am, trying to set the ships for this mod. They didn't behave like I imagined. Then I went to bed, and I had a dream about modding this. I dreamt that I was imputing some values in S3D, and I woke up in a shock, like a bad dream, around noon... the values were still in my head. I went straight away to the computer and test those values, and they work like a charm!

lol...

I really need to stop modding... :lol:

Task Force 11-01-08 10:16 AM

Lol, You myfriend think better when sleeping.:lol: Myself, I dont think when im awake or asleep.:yep:

Commander Gizmo 11-01-08 01:36 PM

I have often had similar revelations PT. Amazing what the brain can do when dreaming!

Sag75 11-01-08 05:33 PM

oh yes! during sleeping the brain is not turned off!
it has a good activity as well as we are awake!

amazing Nature misteries....

Philipp_Thomsen 11-01-08 08:18 PM

First preview of the progress with the mod!

Look how steady and firm those ships look. No bobbing!

Now you might say: "meh, the water is calm, that's why!"

So I made the last half of the video with the most stormy conditions possible (15m/s winds) so you can see the ships are looking great.

During the storm, you can see a little bit of the waves going inside the ships, but don't worry, the ships don't sink, I've tested. The waves are doing that cos in my water mod the tips of the waves are too high, too pointed in stormy conditions, so they go higher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_gzBd2v2og

Hope to read some criticism on this!

Philipp_Thomsen 11-02-08 01:12 AM

Where the bloody hell is the people in this forum???

oh... it's 4:20 am... :damn:

damn... off to bed!

Tomorrow Massa will show Hamilton what a true champion is made of.

If it weren't for Ferrari's bunch of errors, he would be champion already. :nope:

Jimbuna 11-02-08 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philipp_Thomsen
Where the bloody hell is the people in this forum???

oh... it's 4:20 am... :damn:

damn... off to bed!

Tomorrow Massa will show Hamilton what a true champion is made of.

If it weren't for Ferrari's bunch of errors, he would be champion already. :nope:

Are you a gambling man then? :hmm:

Fubar2Niner 11-02-08 06:29 AM

Great WIP video Philipp. I have to agree with Mikhayl the waves washing the decks adds to he realism IMHO. Can't wait for the release :up: :up: :up:

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner