SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   [REL-UBM]Kriegsmarine AOB Finder (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=135184)

Mikhayl 04-16-08 07:13 AM

[REL-UBM]Kriegsmarine AOB Finder

edited

Xantrokoles 04-16-08 08:05 AM

Thanks for this Mod mikhayl (and the devs of it)

Again a great job from my frensh neighbour:up:

Able72 04-16-08 09:22 AM

Do I see the elemenets of OLC's GUI comming into SH4 ????

:rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

Now we just have to convince OLC to play SH4 and port over his entire GUI :D

Thanks for taking this first step. I look forward to seeing more stuff like this one.

AVGWarhawk 04-16-08 10:12 AM

One of these days I will learn how to use that piece of work!!!!!!! Thanks for getting to work in SH4 and OLC for making that puppy:D

fireship4 04-16-08 02:21 PM

Was there something to do the same in US boats other than the methods we have currently?

Rockin Robbins 04-16-08 02:29 PM

Well....it's a start

OK, so we're about a third of the way there. I'll be happy when everything works as in SH3. Otherwise, other targeting methods are far less cumbersome. Also the mod needs to be installable with JSGME. Good progress so far. You're not done!:up:

Hitman 04-16-08 02:39 PM

Quote:

Was there something to do the same in US boats other than the methods we have currently?
Yes and no. Basically, US method to get the target data involved:

1.- Plotting
2.- Use of the position keeper in the TDC (Comparing against target bearings, etc)
3.- Constant bearing
4.- Estimating

German methods to get target data involved:

1.- Plotting
2.- Specific tools (AOB finder like this example, and fixed wire speed measuring)
3.- Constant bearing
4.- Estimating

So they had many similarities except in nș 2

There was however a slide rule used aboard US ships to allow measuring angle on the bow if target data were well known. The principle is the same as the german circular slide ruler shown in this thread.

I think it would be very easy to implement this in the game, because all that is needed is to add the fixed scales in the periscope background and then add a draggable image with the moveable ones :D

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7...atevcv8.th.jpg

fireship4 04-16-08 02:48 PM

Now Do It Now

Nisgeis 04-16-08 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hitman
Quote:

Yes and no. Basically, US method to get the target data involved:

1.- Plotting
2.- Use of the position keeper in the TDC (Comparing against target bearings, etc)
3.- Constant bearing
4.- Estimating

German methods to get target data involved:

1.- Plotting
2.- Specific tools (AOB finder like this example, and fixed wire speed measuring)
3.- Constant bearing
4.- Estimating

So they had many similarities except in nș 2
<SNIP>

The U.S. had stadimeters had course angle finders to measure target angle using the same principle as the range finder.

starbird 04-16-08 04:38 PM

Apparently both the US and German stadimeters could be rotated 90 degrees, and used horizontally to find AOB? OLC mentioned it in his gui manual, and many have mentioned it in the sh4 forums.

It sounds to me that US and German boats had similar tools available, they just had different tactics for using them.

Nisgeis 04-16-08 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starbird
Apparently both the US and German stadimeters could be rotated 90 degrees, and used horizontally to find AOB? OLC mentioned it in his gui manual, and many have mentioned it in the sh4 forums.

This mod looks very interesting, but I have no idea what the original mod did or does, so I'm at a loss how I would use this mod.

This is paraphrasing, as I don't have my sources to hand atm, but off the top of my head, the US first saw a periscope or periscope specification in 1924 from Carl Zeiss for an internal stadimeter with range finding and course angle finder to find the target's angle based on its length. In 1930 Kollmorgen (spelling?) produced the first periscope with such an internal stadimeter. The manuals over at HNSA (might no be HNSA) for the periscope talk about the Type II (observation) and type III (attack) periscopes, the Observation scope having a course finder and the attack periscope only having the range finding component. There's some samlpe problems that show solutions as well as some pics of the extended stadimeter, though not very clear.

Nisgeis 04-16-08 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikhayl
First post updated with the reworked version :)

@Nisgeis, if you want to give it a go, check this link, nice & easy "how to" :
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=207

Blimey! That looks complicated. I'll have to put my thinking cap on and read that again tomorrow. Thanks for the link.

starbird 04-16-08 06:31 PM

There is also a video tutorial that OLC made that shows how the slide rule works. It also goes into other parts of the original mod.

http://files.filefront.com/OLC+GUI+V.../fileinfo.html

joegrundman 04-16-08 11:24 PM

Hey I recognise that, Mikhayl :D

I was going to convert U-jagd to SH4UBM once i'd got hold of it, but i still haven't got it :doh:

Earlier i was trying to get the American Mk1 Mod 3 Submarine Attack Course Finder, which is the American version of the Angriffscheibe/Attack disk to work for SH4> I produced some very nice images (if i say so myself) but i couldn't get it to work satisfactorily. It seemed that I couldn't use an alpha channel "screen" to block off parts of the dial in order to separate the different moving parts, so if i tried to move one part of the dial, i had to move all parts.

Anyway, let me know if you have success porting the attack disk and accompanying sliderule

Hitman 04-18-08 08:10 AM

Isn't the stock zoom setting in SH4 1x/4x ? :hmm: