SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Dangerous Waters (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Nuclear strike (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=180292)

scorpiondown 02-14-11 05:59 PM

Nuclear strike

are there any scenarios where a sub can launch a strategic nuclear strike?
would like a scenario like a sub-based Dr. Strangelove...
could also have to search and destroy that sub before it would initiate the launch....if anyone read the story about the russian sub that was supposedly going to launch a tactical nuclear strike on pearl harbor in 1968...

if you haven,t read the book :"RED STAR ROGUE" GET IT!!!

ASWnut101 02-14-11 07:48 PM

Dangerous Waters doesn't model nukes, sadly. I'm not too sure, but the RA/DWX mod might, never played it though.

Otherwise, you can "simulate" a nuclear launch, detonation, and/or impact through some clever scripting in the mission editor. Or go edit the database to make a weapon with one huge freaking explosion. :)

And as for the loss of Golf Class K-129, well, that's certainly one theory. I think the official story is it sprung a leak of some sorts and fell below crush depth, which is entirely plausible considering all of the misfortunes the Soviets had with their boats. Though, after Project Arizona, I doubt anyone will ever know what happened to it for sure.

Theta Sigma 02-14-11 11:57 PM

Both Reinforce Alert and Alfa Tau allow the use of SLBM's. (RA has nuke depth charges as well)

scorpiondown 02-15-11 09:37 AM

Thanks!!!! I thought of trying to use the mission editor but i got enough troubles just tracking a contact with the sub!!
i,ll have to start looking into that though..
Nuclear strike capabilities are what make nuke subs so appealing to me..wonder why DW developers didn,t put this in some scenarios??
sort of like flying a B-52, or Bear bomber on a mission and you can only use a machine gun......

BigBadVuk 02-17-11 12:05 AM

Ra have Ohio class SSBN campaign.
In it you can attack with your SLBMs certain targets across Kola peninsula.
In DW, nothing is closer to nuclear attack and whole atmosphere of positioning into patrol area, then waiting for VLF launch order etc. then this campaign. :salute:

scorpiondown 02-17-11 07:50 AM

Thanks BBV!!!!!!!

Pisces 02-17-11 09:16 AM

I don't see much of a point in using a nuke during gameplay. The AI isn't smart enough to get mad about it if you launched it, so the scare effect of mutual annihilation is lost. And if they launch it, then how are you going to be suffering from it? You won't. Whether it is a TLAM or a SLBM doesn't matter much in launch procedures. Accept the launch phase itself, as the TLAM flies quite low and vulnerable to AAW as opposed to the SLBM trying to get into ballistic trajectory. (which SC/DW scenarios cannot simulate) You can much more easily simulate event with specific destruction of certain scenario entities. Adding a SLBM model with nuke warhead is possible, but the effect in the real world cannot be compared to how you would experience it in the game.

The only reason would be the graphical awe effect. But your sensors won't be able to register it so you'll hardly notice it anyway if Show Truth is off.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

scorpiondown 02-17-11 04:49 PM

i understand your point..But, the purpose of these subs are a nuclear strike capability in real life..just thought it would be fun to be on a first-strike mission either trying to evade to get to launch, or hunt down a sub thats intention is to launch a nuclear strike,and time is fast running out...you,re right in saying it wouldn,t be too spectacular in gameplay, but you might get satisfaction that a nuke based mission was successful..as you do in any other mission.
using nukes just seems more dangerous..(and i,d like to command a rogue boat on a sneak attack mission of mass destruction!!!!!!) but that,s just me:D

"i,m not sayin we wouldn,t get our hair mussed"

Devendra 03-20-17 11:36 AM

Real feeling,

First thank's for Dangerous water RA 1.41.
But I insist you, please add orignal / real pannel, board, screen in all different type submarine's becouse all submarine s come from diff country s.
Please add more Realistic graphic in the Game like smoke come from Missile tail during Lounch and weather conditions and sound improve.
And in Last please add Nucliar Explosion in Dangerous water Game, Please do Nucliar Explose happend becouse it is Just A game and in Game SSBN become real Nucliar Threat for world.

Please mind this points