SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Dangerous Waters (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Subsim's Continuing USS TEXAS coverage (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=96885)

Onkel Neal 08-14-06 10:16 AM

Subsim's Continuing USS TEXAS coverage

I’m scheduled to meet Wednesday in a media conference with the CO of the TEXAS, latest US Virginia class fast attack. I would like to check with you nuke subsim experts and see if you have any good questions I should add to my interview. The web is an interactive media, we should take advantage of that and have the readers help shape the interview. Thanks!

Neal

LoBlo 08-14-06 06:21 PM

Cool deal. Do you get to go to the Commissioning ceremony for the USS Texas in Galveston too?

Here's my question: What does a civilian have to do to get a tour of his boat :D:huh: :lol:

Onkel Neal 08-14-06 07:27 PM

Wha --? No, no, real questions :) Don't make me think the DW crowd doesn't have questions about the Virginia class:hmm:

Sea Demon 08-14-06 07:42 PM

1. Are Seawolf and Virginia technologically at the same level, other than just the few differences in the different configurations we've seen in public reports (VLS, new sub control interfaces, etc.)?

2. What strengths does Virginia improve over Seawolf?

3. Is Virginia easier to maintain than Seawolf?

I know the CO may not have total answers for these as the info may be classified. I don't want to compromise national security, but I'd like to know these things.

PeriscopeDepth 08-14-06 09:24 PM

I'm sure if it's classified stuff he won't be talking about it. Alright Neal, here are some from me:

1) What do you like the most about the Virginia boats?

2) If you're not already, I'd ask him to tell a funny/interesting sea story.

3) Is the Virginia class an evolutionary or revolutionary step in SSN design? Explain.

4) Are living conditions on the Virginias better/worse than previous classes?

PD

LoBlo 08-14-06 09:24 PM

Honestly... every question that I can think of either sounds pretty cheesy, or sounds like something that he wouldn't be able to tell us anyway...:hmm:

How about this:

1. In your experience, how will this deployment differ from your previous deployments. Does the fact that the Texas is of a brand new ship class change or alter the experience any?

2. Being that the Texas is a brand new ship and only the 2nd of its kind, is there any paticular vibe from the crew that you feel is different than what you've experienced in the past?

3. Are you a Texas native yourself? What does it mean to you that your ship is named after the very best state in all America? :yep: :lol: :up:

4. Are there any special or paticular words that you would choose to characterize the "feel" of the ship itself?

5. In general what are your hopes in regards to the future of the Virginia class subs? What would you like to see in terms of the future of the class?

That should do the trick. :)

Some Edits to wording

Onkel Neal 08-14-06 10:24 PM

Now we're talking! Thanks, anyone else?

I think it's always more interesting to hear what you think.

Camaero 08-14-06 10:42 PM

Hey, I can't really think of any questions, but I can't wait to read the answers! Looking forward to it.:know:

Henson 08-14-06 11:02 PM

If you want to be a smartass ask him how two people can safely drive and trim the boat in the event of a catastrophic loss of electircal power.

Please don't really ask that, but I AM curious to know how they justified the new ships control party (pilot/copilot...how Seaquest is that??). The whole pilot/copilot thing intrigues me, but the learning process from helmsman --> COW --> Dive seems like it will get short-circuited somewhere and we're going to lose some proficiency at shiphandling. I'm not normally a traditionalist, but...we're not australians. :know: 5 drivers made me feel safer.

Sea Demon 08-14-06 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henson
Please don't really ask that, but I AM curious to know how they justified the new ships control party (pilot/copilot...how Seaquest is that??). The whole pilot/copilot thing intrigues me, but the learning process from helmsman --> COW --> Dive seems like it will get short-circuited somewhere and we're going to lose some proficiency at shiphandling. I'm not normally a traditionalist, but...we're not australians. :know: 5 drivers made me feel safer.

Actually, that's a very interesting point you have there Henson. Sounds like a good question to me. Are U.S. submarine sailors going to lose shiphandling proficiency as a result of the new ship control configuration?

goldorak 08-15-06 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Demon
Actually, that's a very interesting point you have there Henson. Sounds like a good question to me. Are U.S. submarine sailors going to lose shiphandling proficiency as a result of the new ship control configuration?

That question seems a bit on the secret side. :arrgh!:
Anyway not being a sailor i'll just put in my .02 € maybe they designed it that way because its more efficient and not less efficient ? :hmm:

XabbaRus 08-15-06 05:34 AM

Here's mine.

If they really wanted too, say they got bored, can they load DW up onto the system and play multistation multiplayer? Ya know, they can get bored and at least they could pretend to shoot stuff and see it getting blown up too. :)

As it is the USS Texas, ask him, where's the Bar-B-Q compartment, also what's his policy on illegal Mexicans trying to sneak in?

Sub Sailor 08-15-06 07:06 AM

My questions

I would like to know about the Reactor Plant-what model and also about noise reduction, especially compared to the Seawolf.
What is the weapon load out.
I would enjoy hearing about living conditions. I made a lot of patrols on older boats and we use to carry movies. I would enjoy hearing if now the boats have DVD players instead of movies, and about the ships entertainment system. We used to have four channels and it was cassettes. I would assume it is the newest around. Neal ask if they have room for books, we use to really be kept up to date on reading material. We also had colleges classes all of it could and helped fill in time.

Thanks,

Ron Banks MMCM(SS), USN(Ret):know:

LoBlo 08-15-06 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XabbaRus
As it is the USS Texas, ask him, where's the Bar-B-Q compartment, also what's his policy on illegal Mexicans trying to sneak in?

mmmmm.....bar-b-q. Now I'm hungry.

*goes* to warmup some bar-b-q leftovers from last week* :)

CapnSteph 08-15-06 11:03 AM

I have a few questions, some of them he may just stare at you and not answer, but I'll post them anyway.

1. Operational/Crush depth. The Seawolves were HY-100 steel, and the LA were HY-80 steel, curious to see if they reverted back to old hull material on the Texas, or if they kept the same hull material that was used on the 'Wolf.

2. Weapons loadout. I know that they reverted back to the 4 21 inch tubes in the Virginia class, but it would be interesting to see if they somehow managed to load a larger complement of torpedoes in the same given volume as a 688.

3. Whether the Virginia is good enough to warrant cancellation of the Seawolf class. This is a question he will obviously be biased about, but it would be interesting to see an actual Captains take on this debate. In my very insignificant opinion, the Seawolf is the queen of the deep water, and I believe that national security is worth the 1-2 Billion per boat. Jesus, we bought 25 or so B-2 bombers, which are 2.6 Billion a pop.

That's all I can think of for now, if I come up with more questions, I'll post them.

Thanks.