SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 5 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   To buy or not to buy (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=164013)

johnbla 03-09-10 03:34 AM

To buy or not to buy

I am thinking of purchasing SH5. I have read the bad reviews at Amazon and find it hard to believe it is really that bad.

My questions. I can get it for AUD40 delivered. Is it worth it at this price or is there too much wrong with it? I know it has a hated DRM but I believe there is a way around this.

Also if I do purchase it, can anyone suggest what mods to put in to make it better and where can I get these mods.

Please bear in mind that I am not a hard core simmer but I like to sink a few ships every now and then so graphics are important to me.

Many thanks.

Coldcall 03-09-10 03:42 AM

I sort of gave-in and bought it, after having promised myself not to :-)

However after playing it for a couple days i have to say im very dissapointed, so my advice would be dont buy it until the mod commmunity has had enough time to re-engineer the game.

Just my opinion.

Sgtmonkeynads 03-09-10 03:43 AM

Honestly, if you can live with DRM, buy it. This week alone, there have been ground breaking mods released that improved the game ten-fold.

There is a list of released mods in the workshop page. Most of those are a must have.
New UI, Four man deck crew.....etc...., there's pretty much enough of them to flavor the game to your own taste now.

Plus, I like the fact that new items are being released everyday, makes for better and better game play. So why not get it now, your going to anyway eventually, get in on the fun of trying the new stuff.

It's by no means perfect, R.A.F. still does not shoot at me early in the war, but that to can be a simple fix.

Jab_Bauer 03-09-10 03:50 AM

Groundbreaking mods eh?

I suggest sitting on your hands for a few weeks. The DRM debacle will drop the price by at least 10 bones in no time.

That's what I'm waiting for.

JamesT73J 03-09-10 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldcall (Post 1303789)
I sort of gave-in and bought it, after having promised myself not to :-)

However after playing it for a couple days i have to say im very dissapointed, so my advice would be dont buy it until the mod commmunity has had enough time to re-engineer the game.

Just my opinion.

Fair enough, but elaborate please. 'I'm disappointed' doesn't say much.

Feuer Frei! 03-09-10 05:10 AM

I haven't bought it, I'm staying on the sidelines, for as long as it takes....
patience is a virtue.

Florent 03-09-10 06:27 AM

Don't hesitate buy it, it's a good experience.:yeah:

Distress 03-09-10 06:59 AM

double post :(

Distress 03-09-10 07:01 AM

If you ever played previous games don't bother with this - they took every aspect of the game that was working fine - and either removed it or changed it to a degree that's pure stupidity. Simple things as Auto TDC is main example.

From the looks it seams they planned to release this on consoles.

punisher2010 03-09-10 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnbla (Post 1303782)
I am thinking of purchasing SH5. I have read the bad reviews at Amazon and find it hard to believe it is really that bad.

My questions. I can get it for AUD40 delivered. Is it worth it at this price or is there too much wrong with it? I know it has a hated DRM but I believe there is a way around this.

Also if I do purchase it, can anyone suggest what mods to put in to make it better and where can I get these mods.

Please bear in mind that I am not a hard core simmer but I like to sink a few ships every now and then so graphics are important to me.

Many thanks.

If you buy it after all of the negative feedback and DRM warnings AND DRM issues that people have been having that were warned about, be ready to buy a brick....

This would be similiar to buying a Toyota with all the brake problems they seem to be having if they had said no recall...

SubV 03-09-10 07:11 AM

I'll wait until the most obvious problems with the game and OSP will be sorted out.

Anyway, I have to wait until the localized version is released (2nd quarter of 2010).

TarJak 03-09-10 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnbla (Post 1303782)
I can get it for AUD40 delivered. Is it worth it at this price or is there too much wrong with it?

Where are you getting it at that price? It's AUD90 at GAME and EB Games. Cheapest I can find online is $72 from Alwaysonsale.