SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   Import pictures into game (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=239938)

bstanko6 02-13-19 01:45 AM

Import pictures into game

Would like to import my own pictures into the game. Specifically replace the picture on the captain’s desk. Any one know how? I would like to place my family photo in there.

kapuhy 02-13-19 02:36 AM

Images in SH5 are stored in .dds format - it can be edited by gimp or paint.net (both free applications). Search your game folder for .dds files, find the one you want to replace and simply overwrite it with your file (I suppose dimensions should be the same as original).

bstanko6 02-13-19 02:50 AM

i appreciate that

bstanko6 02-13-19 06:17 AM

I am trying to locate that particular picture sitting on the captain desk by his bed, or what the .dds file is actually called. Anyone know?

gap 02-13-19 06:55 AM

Good question...

Try and see if you find it among the textures of Conus' Graphic Mod or SteelViking's Interior Mod.

This plugin for Windows explorer might ease your research:

https://www.nvidia.it/object/dds_thumbnail_viewer.html

Ashikaga 02-13-19 09:29 AM

Go to :

C:Ubisoft/Silent Hunter 5/data/Textures/TNormal/tex/various_books_posters_maps.dds

Import that into paint.net, edit the images you want to edit and save as .dds

You can also work from a bmp of the same image or a jpg.

I added the two images you need here:

https://imgur.com/a/Dy0pU34

With the toilet I edited the Horst Wessel training ship into which now is a USN training vessel (if you get fed up with Dönitz staring at you when taking a wee).

The lady with the dark hair, not the one in KM uniform is the image you need to paste your loved one in so she is next to your bed. (be advised to make it black and white and quite bright because the lightmap of that particular image is rather dark so when the light is red you will have difficulty to properly see her if you do not make the image brighter).
(also rotated the map so it is displayed correct on the map table)

So the two file names you need are:

various_books_posters_maps.dds

And

toilet.dds

I hope that helps!

Good luck !!

Ashikaga.

gap 02-13-19 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashikaga (Post 2591422)
The toilet I edited the Horst Wessel training ship into which now is a USN training vessel (if you get fed up with Dönitz staring at you when taking a wee).

The decision of closing Dönitz in the WC was by Silentmichal lol. I always found it quite disrespectful though; the picture of a barque seems much more appropriate. :03:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashikaga (Post 2591422)
The lady with the dark hair, not the one in KM uniform is the image you need to paste your loved one in so she is next to your bed. (be advised to make it black and white and quite bright because the lightmap of that particular image is rather dark so when the light is red you will have difficulty to properly see her if you do not make the image brighter).

That picture has a specular map stored in its alpha channel. To brighten that picture you could as well have brightened its alpha channel.

@ bstanko6

When you save your modified texture, remember to use DX5 as saving format, otherwise texture's grayscale (8 bit) alpha channel will be lost, or it will be converted to B/W (1 bit).

Also note that you need to update texture's mip levels, or when you move away from the picture it will display the old subject.

Last: you can make the texture bigger or smaller than in stock game, as long as you scale it uniformly and its new height/width are multiples of four.

Enjoy :salute:

bstanko6 02-13-19 12:07 PM

This already sounds like a crazy project. I have gimp 2 and it apjears I can’t even open the existing .dds files I have to simply view them. Maybe i will have to stick with the blond bimbo!

gap 02-13-19 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bstanko6 (Post 2591447)
This already sounds like a crazy project. I have gimp 2 and it apjears I can’t even open the existing .dds files I have to simply view them. Maybe i will have to stick with the blond bimbo!

IIRC gimp has no native support of the dds format; you have to install a plugin before you are able to open/edit dss files with it. Paint.net shouldn't require any plugin though :yep:

LesBaker 02-13-19 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bstanko6 (Post 2591447)
I have gimp 2 and it apjears I can’t even open the existing .dds files I have to simply view them.

you need a plugin for gimp to edit and save .dds files, here it is https://gimp-dds-plugin.software.informer.com/download/

Les

bstanko6 02-13-19 12:46 PM

I have gimp 2 and in my plug in directory I have the .dds exe file, but when I double click it says I do not have a .dll file. I'm using V2.8

LesBaker 02-13-19 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bstanko6 (Post 2591457)
I have gimp 2 and in my plug in directory I have the .dds exe file, but when I double click it says I do not have a .dll file. I'm using V2.8

I had a similar problem when I updated to 2.10.8 with a clean install, the work around is to install 2.8.18 then add the plugin then update gimp with the version you would like to run, in my case 2.10.8

Les

LesBaker 02-13-19 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bstanko6 (Post 2591457)

Sorry misunderstood what you were saying, you don't have to double click the .exe file in the plugin folder just close Gimp then reopen, you should then be able to use .dds files

Les

Ashikaga 02-13-19 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2591426)
That picture has a specular map stored in its alpha channel. To brighten that picture you could as well have brightened its alpha channel

While that might be so it was way easier for me to paste an already brightened image into the original since that way I did not get all the separate parts of the entire collage spread out through the ship and radio room being too bright.so making the entire alpha channel of the maps and posters image brighter was not what I wanted to do. And since I would not know how to brighten up a lightmap image I would not go there :)

Might test it though see if I like it.

kapuhy 02-13-19 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2591426)
The decision of closing Dönitz in the WC was by Silentmichal lol. I always found it quite disrespectful though; the picture of a barque seems much more appropriate.

For the rare moments of privacy U-Boat crewmen get, a pin-up girl picture might be most appropriate :oops: