SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter Online (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=258)
-   -   A New Interview With Realism Consultant for SHO (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=200859)

Cpt-Maxim 12-24-12 05:05 AM

A New Interview With Realism Consultant for SHO

This video has english subtitles. Enjoy!

http://www.gamershell.com/tv/50655.html

PL_Andrev 12-24-12 07:48 AM

Of course, no info about public beta test again...

Sailor Steve 12-24-12 10:05 AM

I thought it was kind of cool that the side view of the boat looks very much like the same view in the original Silent Hunter. :sunny:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antar (Post 1982225)
Of course, no info about public beta test again...

That's not surprising, considering they were talking to the historical consultant about that aspect of the game. I doubt he knows anything about release dates or beta tests.

flag4 12-24-12 07:50 PM

it 'looks' promising. i say 'looks.'

but who knows. when he speaks of compromise though, thats potentially a door opening onto a vast room with shifting walls.

ill be interested to see what really comes from this in the end.

i wish them luck.:yep:

StarTrekMike 12-25-12 08:59 PM

I don't think that this interview has changed my initial thoughts about this project, the fact that he openly talks about compromises indicates that we are talking about more than a few examples of "MMO style gameplay" trumping historical realism.

I hope that they somehow, sometime make another real Silent Hunter game, this just feels like a half baked cash in.

Diopos 12-26-12 02:55 AM

"Compromise" is not a problem per se. The extent of compromise might well be ...

:hmm2:

BigBANGtheory 12-27-12 05:56 AM

Do you think the periscope not ever seeming to move is a compromise or perhaps its welded into a fixed position for historical realism on account of some secret 360 degree optics.

Sailor Steve 12-27-12 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBANGtheory (Post 1983772)
Do you think the periscope not ever seeming to move is a compromise or perhaps its welded into a fixed position for historical realism on account of some secret 360 degree optics.

It looks to me like a throwback to SH2. Of course I prefer the newer versions, in which all that can be seen is the lens view itself and the relevant gauges and things.

mookiemookie 12-27-12 11:07 AM

After overanalyzing three Silent Hunter games while in development, I've learned to just relax and wait until it's released to pass judgement.

Nordmann 12-27-12 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBANGtheory (Post 1983772)

You realise this is a browser game... right? :hmph:

BigBANGtheory 12-28-12 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordmann (Post 1984142)
You realise this is a browser game... right? :hmph:

Is that also a compromise? :hmph:

Nexus7 12-28-12 08:49 PM

Gives a serious impression, and judging from his eyes, an high workload :haha:

As he pronounced the word "compromise" it seems to see he'd have preferred to avoid that word (why ? :rotfl2: )

But the word "facts" is pronounced as well, and the reconstruction and implementation of historically accurate navigation maps (Indian ocean ecc.) for the first time, is an improvement punkto realism.

Nordmann 12-29-12 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBANGtheory (Post 1984274)
Is that also a compromise? :hmph:

They could easily have put it on a DVD and sold it to us, but instead they chose to try something different. There are of course compromises with these type of games, but that doesn't make them bad, and if it gets SH out to a wider audience, then the more the better.

Sometimes I think the people on this forum don't want any more sub games, especially when every game released since SH3 is subject to this endless cycle of doom and gloom. Be glad they're doing anything with it at all, because after the heat they incurred with SH5, I'm surprised that they're still trying.

Shiplord 12-29-12 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordmann (Post 1984827)
Sometimes I think the people on this forum don't want any more sub games

you're right, sub games != subsims

Julhelm 12-29-12 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiplord (Post 1984869)
you're right, sub games != subsims

What's the difference?