SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   [REL] RFB/Real Fleet Boat for 1.5 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=125529)

1480 01-29-08 12:33 PM

Love this mod and thanks for the hard work and time y'all put into this, I have two questions that might be addressed here or if I can be pointed in the right direction:
1. Missing the forward planesman, even during BS.
2. Is weather patterns a hard coded issue? I've been in a storm for 5 days in the assigned patrol area of 113e/9n by 150nm. I've been in nothing but a storm since reaching the Phillipines, dates btn 19DEC41-03JAN42. Since I'm somewhat of a canidate for the short school bus, I'm not comfortable with the manual targeting and when I've fired twice on a lock (little less then 300 yds), because of the heavy fog, I've had both bounce off the hull. I know there needs to be a greater distance for the fish to arm, but this is getting a bit loony! Thanks in advanced :p

Oh yeah I installed RFB/ROW/RSRD as per instructions, had the problem prior to adding other eye candy mods.

AVGWarhawk 01-29-08 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1480
Love this mod and thanks for the hard work and time y'all put into this, I have two questions that might be addressed here or if I can be pointed in the right direction:
2. Is weather patterns a hard coded issue? I've been in a storm for 5 days in the assigned patrol area of 113e/9n by 150nm. I've been in nothing but a storm since reaching the Phillipines, dates btn 19DEC41-03JAN42. Since I'm somewhat of a canidate for the short school bus, I'm not comfortable with the manual targeting and when I've fired twice on a lock (little less then 300 yds), because of the heavy fog, I've had both bounce off the hull. I know there needs to be a greater distance for the fish to arm, but this is getting a bit loony! Thanks in advanced :p

Oh yeah I installed RFB/ROW/RSRD as per instructions, had the problem prior to adding other eye candy mods.

1. New work includes addition of crew. Not sure why you man is not there in BS. Mine show up/

2. Weather can last for 4-5 days. It is better than SH3 though. Also, if you stop the game during one weather pattern, the clock starts again for that particular weather pattern you just saved in.

450 yards to have the torpedo arm.:up:

It is ok to be on the short bus....just do not lick the windows :rotfl:

1480 01-29-08 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1480

1. New work includes addition of crew. Not sure why you man is not there in BS. Mine show up/

2. Weather can last for 4-5 days. It is better than SH3 though. Also, if you stop the game during one weather pattern, the clock starts again for that particular weather pattern you just saved in.

450 yards to have the torpedo arm.:up:

It is ok to be on the short bus....just do not lick the windows :rotfl:

Hard to get to the windows when I'm still working on the seats! Thanks for the reply so quickly. Just d/l WS's manual targeting video for physics challenged yanks and I must admit it doesn't seem too difficult. :rock: Thanks much and I'll give y'all a holla with good news. Happy hunting....

swdw 01-31-08 01:22 PM

Up and coming changes

AVGWarhawk hsa been after me for a while to do this, so here goes.

While being quiet, the dev team has been busy with implementing new changes and additions to RFB.

There is also a change in philosophy on RFB that seems to be in order. This hsa nothing to do with the pursuit of realism, but rather the place of RFB in the mod installation.

With ROW, RSRD, and other large mods always affecting something in RFB, a different approach is now needed. RFB needs to be built so it is the LAST mod installed. THis allows us to make small tweaks to the other mods when needed that are geared towards realism. We already took this approach with ROW. By doing this, we free up the other modders to pursue their goal without worrying about making their mod compatible with everything else. It will also prevent conflicting files changing the characteristics of the mods. This means more work on our part as we have to merge changes to get the "best of both worlds".

A side effect of this is stripping out some of the pieces of RFB and making them seperate files you can still use. For example, if for some odd reason, you choose not to use RSRD, the RFB campaign mods are still available.

Another example is NSM. In the pursuit of realism, NSM is key to adding another layer, but why duplicate Werner's efforts? Instead, we need to make sure that they work together like a well oiled machine.

We are not in pursuit of making RFB a GWX type mod, but instead, allowing it to work with these other major mods to give a similar result if you choose to use all of them together. We can focus on our strengths while allowing others to focus on theirs.

There's more to this, but this will give you the idea of what is meant by a "change in philosophy".

On to the next item- upcoming changes. These are in addition to the changes incorporated in the current version. I'm doing this off the top of my head. When I can check the list, I'll come back any add anything I forgot.

For the next release, you can expect the following.
These mods will be rolled into RFB

* Ship Centered Accuracy Fix. Cap'n Scurvy
* SteveTRM's sounds
* Updated version of the ROW sounds LukeFF
* Anvart's radar mast mod
* 4 bladed props for the boats that had them
* Hamilton chrono
* Extended evasion mod Peto
* Digital trucker's HUD order change so you can use the RFB HUD or oakgrove's w/o any conflicts.

Evaluating for inclusion

* Various interior fixes by Ducimus/Anvart
* Pitch and Roll by Panthercules

What the dev team has worked on and is working on (Credit will be given to the originators in the release)

* Very realistic crew configuration
* sonar and hydrophone adjustments
* AI sensors adjustments to historical
* tweaks to torpedo file based on additional info provided (Donner has become a heck of a resource for historical info). NSM compatible version provided.
* Decoys available late in war based on historic dates
* More realistic dive rates, submerged descent/ascent rates, turn rates. How realistic these become will be determined by the limits of the game engine.
* Corrected sub depths and speed settings
* Shell tweaks for those not using NSM.
* Green scope lines for day/night attacks
* Deck Gun reload times back to longer times with an optional file for those encountering the 4x multiplier on reload times

provided as optional

* Raymond6751's ship warning mod for those that like to play in real time and do something else while the game is running.
* Hi res scope that gives smaller view port at higher resolutions

Tried to do and shelved- deck gun destabilization. There is some weird hard coding in the relationship between the zoomed and unzoomed views that stopped this. This ate up a LOT of time that would have allowed some additional changes to be made to RFB.

One of the things we'll work on for a future release is reducing the speedboat characteristics of some of the surface ships. The work on the sub dive and turn rates has given insight into how the game uses the different settings and will allow, if not fixing, at least toning down of such operational characteristics.

Once the next RC is out and any corrections made, you may find a surprise coming ;)

AVGWarhawk 01-31-08 01:38 PM

:rock:

silent killer 01-31-08 07:47 PM

sink sub chasers and mine sweepers

:D i have sunk doth in v 1.3 with the deck gun, almost lost the sub but a few good shots sunk them both.

DavyJonesFootlocker 02-01-08 09:00 AM

Awriiight! I've been waiting for this upgrade. And as a show of appreciation I've added you to my last will and testament.:yep: Just in case some blimey IJN destroyer gets me.

fireship4 02-04-08 02:15 PM

Hullo, I've been using Trigger Maru up to now. I may try RFB again (I cant get all the mods I want to work with TM) but would like to ask....

Is something integrated into the mod to allow enemy air attacks on you sub when submerged? This was integrated into TM a while back.

Is the new recognition manual in there somewhere?

AVGWarhawk 02-04-08 02:42 PM

Attacked while submerged has not been added yet. There will be a new recognition manual with the next release. Hopefully in a few weeks it will be available. There are some good things coming in the next release.

CDR Resser 02-04-08 09:52 PM

Have been using RFB for while. I am now trying out TM. I am looking forward to the release of the new edition of RFB.

Respectfully Submitted;
CDR Resser

swdw 02-05-08 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireship4
Hullo, I've been using Trigger Maru up to now. I may try RFB again (I cant get all the mods I want to work with TM) but would like to ask....

Is something integrated into the mod to allow enemy air attacks on you sub when submerged? This was integrated into TM a while back.

Is the new recognition manual in there somewhere?

The air attack mods are part of RSRD, so we haven't added them yet.

New manual is not in the current version, but will be added to the new release

Erik the Black 02-05-08 05:27 PM

Love RFB. It is excellent and has really made for an enjoyable experience.

I do have one issue though, and I did notice it was part of the mod. Torpedo running depths. Yes, I know it was stated that it's been coded that way, and a possibility exists for this sort of thing to occur based on torpedo type. I think this is wonderful, but that was before my first mission with RFB 1.4.

Half my Mark 14's ran too deep, even after setting depth to 3m. Three attack runs on three separate targets were pretty much blown when my torpedos sailed right under the ships. On one instance, I ran up against a Sea Plane Tender. Thinking the draft of that sucker was deep enough, I left my torpedos on the 5m default. Launched 4 from 6000m. All 4 were dead on, and I watched in horror as all 4 sailed directly under the Tender. I then spent the next hour evading sub chasers, and all for nothing.

I'm all for this modification to torpedo running depths, but there is a possibility to tune it down a little, or have the option to take it out completely? Is that something I can do with an ini modification?

Thanks,
EB

swdw 02-05-08 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik the Black
Love RFB. It is excellent and has really made for an enjoyable experience.

I do have one issue though, and I did notice it was part of the mod. Torpedo running depths. Yes, I know it was stated that it's been coded that way, and a possibility exists for this sort of thing to occur based on torpedo type. I think this is wonderful, but that was before my first mission with RFB 1.4.

Half my Mark 14's ran too deep, even after setting depth to 3m. Three attack runs on three separate targets were pretty much blown when my torpedos sailed right under the ships. On one instance, I ran up against a Sea Plane Tender. Thinking the draft of that sucker was deep enough, I left my torpedos on the 5m default. Launched 4 from 6000m. All 4 were dead on, and I watched in horror as all 4 sailed directly under the Tender. I then spent the next hour evading sub chasers, and all for nothing.

I'm all for this modification to torpedo running depths, but there is a possibility to tune it down a little, or have the option to take it out completely? Is that something I can do with an ini modification?

Thanks,
EB

You need to read this:
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/...d/BuOrd-6.html

Since this is a reality mod, the problems are set to be like the real skippers ran into, so no, we won't be toning it down. However, the default depth has been adjusted to the historical value of 10 ft for the upcoming release.

You can always replace the torpdoes_US.sim file with the one from TM if you want less realistic torpedoes, but not arcade versions.

It takes a slightly masochistic person to enjoy the torpedo mod in RFB :damn: :arrgh!: :D

fireship4 02-05-08 09:01 PM

Im pretty sure the attacked while submerged in TM - maybe its in RSRD aswell i dont know...

AVGWarhawk 02-05-08 09:12 PM

Quote:

Thinking the draft of that sucker was deep enough, I left my torpedos on the 5m default. Launched 4 from 6000m. All 4 were dead on, and I watched in horror as all 4 sailed directly under the Tender. I then spent the next hour evading sub chasers, and all for nothing.
And the real captains look in horror as well. The percentage of bad torps in the beginning was dreadfully awful. One such captain who gunned the engines on the USS Wahoo all the way from Japan to Pearl on the surface, that is how angry he was over defective torpedoes. The next release RFB, torps have been worked on with historical % of working correctly and duds. Also, the skippers were told to use the untested magnetic detonators. Most used contact but did not spread that around to the brass for fear of trouble. Most skippers talked amongst themselves concerning using contact only. They could not however correct the depth problem. Later on in the war you will notice a better weapon leaving your tubes:up: I do not recall the submarine that experienced this but out of 24 torps, 8 were good. Some were complete misses but a large quantity were dead on but did not work.