SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 5 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   You got SH5. You played it. Now RATE it for the rest of us! (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=162709)

Hitman 03-01-10 01:11 PM

Quote:

Folks will always try to push their agendas through polls. It's one of the wonderful things about the Internets.
No agenda at all, quite the opposite: I admit I might be biased against SH5 because the DRM will keep me from buying it. Hence I want a different perspective and rating of the game. Oh, and later I can also double check the accurancy of Neal's review and rating :haha:

Sailor Steve 03-01-10 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hitman (Post 1286031)
No agenda at all, quite the opposite: I admit I might be biased against SH5 because the DRM will keep me from buying it.

You said it better than I would have. I'm not buying because of OSP, but the game itself, looks to be better than anything that's gone before - especially the scripting possibilities.

I can't wait to see the reviews, and how it develops.

Flopper 03-01-10 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat (Post 1285676)
The lack of a fully detailed working TDC is disappointing for us manual nuts, since it was in SH3.

What part(s) did they leave out?

Safe-Keeper 03-01-10 01:41 PM

The options are a bit overlapping anyhow. A game can be "amazing", "good but not perfect" and "disappointing in some aspects" at the same time.

Kptlt_Lynch 03-01-10 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flopper (Post 1286076)
What part(s) did they leave out?

From what I understand... the entire TDC.

I think this thread is a good idea. The more honest the answers, the more information some of us that are 'on the fence' about SH5 have to make a more informed decision.

I could be swayed if the modders can correct some of the missing equipment.

Méo 03-01-10 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joejccva71 (Post 1285997)
It's not a horrible game, but it's not a great game either.

I agree with you to some extend.

My theory is that a lot of people have way too much expectations for a game that has, on one hand, very complex demands, and on the other, can only hope to sell around 250 000 copies (or maybe a bit more) but never 9 000 000 copies like other console games (which might be less complex to create).

So, from what I've seen so far (played about 5 hours, could play more but my computer really needs an upgrade). SH5 has some bugs, but more importantly, few things are missing (TDC, showing gyro angle, impossibility to know the depth under keel, etc).

Nevertheless, when I think about SH3 and SH4 vanilla (both games had a LOT of issues on release, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about), I'd say that SH5 is a step forward, not a HUGE step, but it seems to be a better (and is supposed to be particularly open to modding!).

I already know what some people will say: ''oh, if they would stop investing efforts in eye candy, they could succeed.'' Well I'd say that if they ignore eye candy, a lot of new potential customers could also ignore the game.

Just my 2 cents.

alx100 03-01-10 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Méo (Post 1286151)
I agree with you to some extend.

My theory is that a lot of people have way too much expectations for a game that has, on one hand, very complex demands, and on the other, can only hope to sell around 250 000 copies (or maybe a bit more) but never 9 000 000 copies like other console games (which might be less complex to create).

So, from what I've seen so far (played about 5 hours, could play more but my computer really needs an upgrade). SH5 has some issues, more importantly few things are missing (TDC, showing gyro angle, impossibility to know the depth under keel, etc).

Nevertheless, when I think about SH3 and SH4 vanilla (both games had a LOT of issues on release, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about), I'd say that SH5 is a step forward, not a HUGE step, but it seems to be a better (and is supposed to be particularly open to modding!).

I already know what some people will say: ''oh, if they would stop investing efforts in eye candy, they could succeed.'' Well I'd say that if they ignore eye candy, a lot of new potential customers could also ignore the game.

Just my 2 cents.

Just out of curiosity, what spec is your PC Meo? I'm pretty sure that i will be in the same boat as you, (excuse the pun).

CCIP 03-01-10 02:14 PM

Good but not perfect. I cannot give an objective "out of ten" rating yet due to limited experience with it so far, but it's very promising. I have a hunch that out of the box, it's already a much better game than III and IV were. It has good sea legs and frankly the ommissions and glitches so far that I've run into have been anything but show-stoppers, just minor irritations.

You have to keep in mind what it's going for though. At this moment, an ultra-accurate simulation of the Atlantic war it is certainly NOT. But that's not what it's going for. It's not trying to be a game-ification of Clay Blair's U-boat War, it's trying to be Das Boot. And so far it's doing a good job of that.

ddrgn 03-01-10 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCIP (Post 1286183)
Good but not perfect. I cannot give an objective "out of ten" rating yet due to limited experience with it so far, but it's very promising. I have a hunch that out of the box, it's already a much better game than III and IV were. It has good sea legs and frankly the ommissions and glitches so far that I've run into have been anything but show-stoppers, just minor irritations.

You have to keep in mind what it's going for though. At this moment, an ultra-accurate simulation of the Atlantic war it is certainly NOT. But that's not what it's going for. It's not trying to be a game-ification of Clay Blair's U-boat War, it's trying to be Das Boot. And so far it's doing a good job of that.

I 100% agree, its much better out of the box than SH3/4. Good but not perfect.

martes86 03-01-10 03:00 PM

Wait a minute! It came out already?!?! :o

joejccva71 03-01-10 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddrgn (Post 1286249)
I 100% agree, its much better out of the box than SH3/4. Good but not perfect.

Hmm..I'd much rather have the explosion animations from the out of the box SH3/4 than SH5. If I wanted a fireworks display, I'd go to Washington DC or New York on the 4th of July. It needs modding badly.

OakGroove 03-01-10 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal Stevens (Post 1285801)
No, better idea: leave it like this and then later I can make it public. We'll see who voted for what, and we'll have a good idea who is honest and who isn't.:arrgh!:

This would presume good intel on who's who.
Guerilla/viral marketing buccaneers ... can't exclude these folks from false flag statements either. Just an idea.

Méo 03-01-10 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martes86 (Post 1286255)
Wait a minute! It came out already?!?! :o

Yeah! in EB games Canada (got mine yesterday, but some folks said it was available since saturday) and some places in the U.S. I think, but not sure. (don't ask me the reason why, I have no idea ;))

ddrgn 03-01-10 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joejccva71 (Post 1286257)
Hmm..I'd much rather have the explosion animations from the out of the box SH3/4 than SH5. If I wanted a fireworks display, I'd go to Washington DC or New York on the 4th of July. It needs modding badly.

LOL, which mods are needed badly?

609_Avatar 03-01-10 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal Stevens (Post 1285801)
No, better idea: leave it like this and then later I can make it public. We'll see who voted for what, and we'll have a good idea who is honest and who isn't.:arrgh!:

I like the way this man thinks! I didn't even consider people doing that but I guess the more cynical here are right, there are people with agendas that will do many questionable things to promote them. Not saying here in this forum but in general.

I'm only here to hear what those that have bought it have to say.

ERPP8 03-01-10 04:04 PM

How do people get it early?

609_Avatar 03-01-10 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERPP8 (Post 1286400)
How do people get it early?

Some stores haven't followed Ubi's guidelines by waiting until the official release date. So they put it on the shelves as soon as they got it.

Onkel Neal 03-01-10 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OakGroove (Post 1286275)
This would presume good intel on who's who.
Guerilla/viral marketing buccaneers ... can't exclude these folks from false flag statements either. Just an idea.

Oh, I guess that is possible. Let's ask!

Hey everyone, did you vote correctly? If you voted, it means you have the game. Everyone who voted, you have the game?

Or did some of you just click a button to further an agenda. :hmmm:

kylania 03-01-10 04:35 PM

No game, no vote. :)

joejccva71 03-01-10 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddrgn (Post 1286334)
LOL, which mods are needed badly?

Particle effects of smoke, explosions and fire. I liked the way it was modded in SH3/SH4. The way it is now in SH5 is really too much like a firecracker display honestly.

Also I won't even go into the immersion and realism factor of having the enemy ship crews walking around on the deck as the ship is sinking. This is a killer to me.