SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Helosim.com and Flight Sims (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=216)
-   -   IL-2 online flyers? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=102656)

CCIP 12-25-06 09:58 PM

IL-2 online flyers?

Anyone play IL-2 online?

I'm occasionally found flying around Hyperlobby-listed servers (currently on 4.05, will switch to 4.07 as soon as the stores here get a clue and stock that new DVD) with my friend. I use the same callsign there as on the forums here!

As with most things, I make a good bomber but an awful fighter pilot. In fact myself and Arik (my friend with whom I play) have been getting rather discouraged by trying to fly fighters - how the hell are these people so good and we are so awful? :o Certainly there's something we don't know (and we even cooperate quite well, while I'm well-read on fighter tactics for the most part).

Any well-aged IL-2 online aces that could shed some light on the art of kill there?

HunterICX 12-26-06 04:51 AM

:cry: I only have IL2: Sturmovik (the 1st one)

And I,m the oposite , I cant fly a bomber and cant bomb my targets...always seem to miss my target and bomb an inocent village right next to it. :damn:

as a fighter I,m pure hell for bombers to have on their tails , before you know it you fly with 1 wing :yep:

Actually , we have to find out here on subsim what we all play online as an Flight Sim

I play online:

Currently : CFS3 (Stock!)

and I,m going to find out where to find a couple of Sturmovik games.

Dowly 12-26-06 05:03 AM

I have all the IL-2´s, but sadly my joystick pretty much messed up. (The rudder control is on full right rudder the whole time)

But anyways, just give me the Japanese A6M, my trusty 'Wing of Fury', and you´re going down. ;)

HunterICX 12-26-06 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dowly
I have all the IL-2´s, but sadly my joystick pretty much messed up. (The rudder control is on full right rudder the whole time)

But anyways, just give me the Japanese A6M, my trusty 'Wing of Fury', and you´re going down. ;)

What about...getting some screwdrivers open the bloody thing...and try to see if you can repair it:up:

my older Joystick the Logitech Wingman after all my flying years on my old P4 it never let me down.

and now my Logitech Force 3D Pro with the force Feedback I really enjoy the dogfights

Dowly 12-26-06 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterICX
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dowly

What about...getting some screwdrivers open the bloody thing...and try to see if you can repair it:up:

my older Joystick the Logitech Wingman after all my flying years on my old P4 it never let me down.

and now my Logitech Force 3D Pro with the force Feedback I really enjoy the dogfights

Hehe, I got ahead of you and opened it up. I didnt do anything, just twisted the handle and now it works. ;)

Audie 12-27-06 11:57 PM

Howdy CCIP,

I fly IL-2 4.05 and 4.06 quite often with a core group of cyber pilots. You are more than welcome to join us; in fact we are getting ready to launch a new Pacific Theatre MP campaign that is "in house" mapped and scripted :up:

Fire me an email if you'd like to join in - taw.audie@gmail.com

Of course, if any of you other cyber-pilots want to join in please do :D

Cheers,

CCIP 12-28-06 12:02 AM

Cool! Though I don't know if I'd be able to keep up a commitment for a full campaign, I'll keep it in mind. :)

Audie 12-28-06 12:11 AM

No worries; we also just fly for the heck of it ;)

Zinmar 12-28-06 10:31 AM

I also am a big time bomber pilot, either the dive or level. You put me in a fighter and I am nothing but a target, very boring for me, easy kill for others.

Enigma 12-28-06 12:05 PM

Im new to IL-2 and have PF too, but havent played online yet. would really like to, though....

CCIP 12-28-06 03:57 PM

You should. It first seems like 'random deathmatch', but even in dogfight servers with good maps, I find it's actually really good. All by virtue of a simple trick that you only get 1/10th the points if you kill someone but die in the process - and full points if you kill someone/something, then land. This makes bombers useful and survival a huge part of the game :yep:

I still wonder how people do the fighter thing, though. Perhaps they all have track IRs and high-power machines resistant to lag? It just seems that their ability to track and hit targets is waaay superior - and yet I don't think I've got less experience, seeing how I've played IL-2 all the way since original release...

Dowly 12-28-06 04:24 PM

My key to victory as a fighter pilot is the gut feeling on where the guy in my crosshair is going to turn next. After awhile, you can see the pattern. For example, alot of people are right-handed, so when they pull up, they usually turn left (as it´s easier to push the stick to left than to pull it to the right with your right hand). And when the enemy plane goes off screen, you can pretty much judge his options from his current position, speed & altitude.

Same goes for the shooting, the gut feeling. After while, you dont need to think how much lead you should take to hit, you "just know it". ;)

Enigma 12-28-06 04:34 PM

As a long time virtual jet jockey, I have to master the art of manuevers that dont end up in my aircraft going into an unrecoverable spin to its death before I try fighting the pros online...:lol:

Having done spins in real airplanes, however, I must say the sound and feel of the spin in IL-2 is 1st class. Thats exactly what it sounded like when I did spins in a cub....

Hrvoje 01-03-07 11:08 AM

Flying IL-2 online since the beginning ;) Sadly, my schedule ATM prohibits any serious participation in online wars :( EDIT: I used to fly JaBo, but nowdays prefer a good "Abschuß" :up:

Sulikate 01-03-07 11:17 AM

I play online (FB+ACES+PF), and I can ruin your day in my BF109 K4:arrgh!: