SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   Suggest a Subsim for me (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=231436)

Jonatron5 05-24-17 11:42 AM

Suggest a Subsim for me

Im trying to get into a good sumsimulation game, but their are TONS of them out their and seemingly alot of them are of fairly dubious quality.

Im mainly looking for realism and being able to walk around the interior of the sub and take control of all the different stations.

and I would LOVE a game with co-op multiplayer that allows real people to work together on the same sub

I have heard Silent hunter 3 is like the gold standard of sub simulation (even if its very dated by now)

I have heard as well, that Silent hunter 5 is good but you have to mod the hell out of it to make it playable.

and a lot of the articles ive found relating to subsimming are fairly dated,

so for what im interested in what would be a good game? as of 2017?

Aktungbby 05-24-17 11:44 AM

welcome aboard firsttime poster!

Jonatron5!:Kaleun_Salute:Try SHIII with NGYM mod: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=139231

Von Due 05-24-17 11:51 AM

Welcome!

I'll join the choir and sing SH3 + [your favourite super mod] for realism. I can only speak for GWX3 but I like what it adds and still lets you tweak the game for additional bells and whistles.

Eichhörnchen 05-24-17 01:31 PM

Welcome :) My favourite place to be is SH3... but if you want to walk around in the sub as you say, then it has to be SH5. I've only just started playing this with no mods or patches and all seems well at the moment, but I am new to this sim and maybe just haven't come up against any issues yet.

Jonatron5 05-24-17 01:44 PM

ok wonderful!

can someone explain to me what all these mods do/ which ones i want?

Commander Wallace 05-24-17 02:01 PM

Welcome to Subsim Jonatron5. :sunny: You really can't go wrong with Silent Hunter 3-5. A lot of what you want will depend on the CPU processor you have, RAM memory and video card in your computer as the various simulations all have different requirements.

Aktung recommended SH3 with NYGM but you can also use SH3 with GWX or living silent hunter or the war aces add on. It's all a matter of taste and preferences.

The add on mods are really a matter of taste as well. It depends greatly on the level of realism you want. SH4 can be upgraded as well. Rockin Robbins is our resident SH4 Guru and TheBerbster and HW3 are our SH5 guru's but there are others here with insight into these simulations.

Read through the sections corresponding to the game you like and take a look at what the mods do and try them out. If the mods are enabled through JSGME, any modifications are reversible as well.

Enjoy your sims and welcome aboard.

Nippelspanner 05-24-17 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonatron5 (Post 2486400)
Im mainly looking for realism and being able to walk around the interior of the sub and take control of all the different stations.

Mh, that creates a problem.
While you can walk around in SH5, it is one of the least realistic 'simulations' available.

Quote:

and I would LOVE a game with co-op multiplayer that allows real people to work together on the same sub

AFAIK, the only game offering that is Dangerous Waters, where you can indeed man different stations with multiple people on the same platform.
I imagine this could be great fun potentially, but never really did it despite a few tests. On top, DW isn't very much alive anymore, but still has a tiny, cozy core community.

Quote:

I have heard Silent hunter 3 is like the gold standard of sub simulation (even if its very dated by now)

Depends on how you look at it. Personally, I consider Aces of the Deep to be said gold standard, even though it is heavily outdated, it offers 'more' for me than I'll ever find in SH3. But that's totally up to you and what you consider important.

Quote:

I have heard as well, that Silent hunter 5 is good but you have to mod the hell out of it to make it playable.

Well said: Playable. Enjoyable?
Not for me - but others seem to enjoy it despite all the glitches, bugs, historical inaccuracies and overall arcade gameplay.

Quote:

and a lot of the articles ive found relating to subsimming are fairly dated,

so for what im interested in what would be a good game? as of 2017?

All very relative, of course, but for me it would be

Aces of the Deep
Silent Hunter III (with a solid modset, of course, but I'm not at all up to date here)

And for modern stuff:
Dangerous Waters (pretty much the only choice anyways)

Delgard 05-24-17 06:54 PM

DW

Hey! Dangerous Waters are where real Captains sail.

Wildcat 05-24-17 11:49 PM

Dangerous Waters still has a small following of people playing it. Finding drop in multiplayer games might be difficult these days but if you join a group of regulars you'll probably find a game happens at a set time each week.

A lot of people seem to favor SH3 for uboat operations, and I personally still like the original SH1 for American subs. I can even get it running on my ipad with a kludged together dospad app.

Never tried SH4 so can't say much about it - is it any good?

I did try SH5 and thought that it sucked, to be honest. Tried modding it to make it better but ended up wasting more than 5 hours finding all the mods, then the mods broke it so I deleted it from my HD.

Giesemaschine 05-24-17 11:57 PM

Aces of the Deep
Silent Hunter: Commander's Edition
Silent Hunter 3 (and then install the GWX mod when you've played vanilla for a while.)

Also - Jane's 688i for modern-day action!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nippelspanner (Post 2486465)

Depends on how you look at it. Personally, I consider Aces of the Deep to be said gold standard, even though it is heavily outdated, it offers 'more' for me than I'll ever find in SH3. But that's totally up to you and what you consider important.

Gleich und Gleich gesellt sich gern! Aces will always be my go-to for U-boot action.

I'm also surprised no one mentioned "Wolfpack"? Maybe because it isn't out yet, but it promises what you are looking for. It's multiplayer-focused (crew of 4 I believe), you can walk around the Sub like in an FPS, and each player is responsible for a station (mechanic works the engine/ballast control, sonarman works the hydrophones/radar, radioman deciphers encrypted messages, captain gives orders/plans attacks/etc.)

http://www.wolfpackgame.com/

Nippelspanner 05-25-17 12:20 AM

Another modern one: Fast Attack
So far I only read about it, but ordered a CD via Amazon and can't wait for it to arrive.
AFAIK, the lead developer was a former 688 skipper and that shows in the game footage. In many areas it is way deeper and more authentic than for example Dangerous Waters, or let alone 688i Hunter/Killer.
In Fast attack you need to actually mind comms windows to catch messages by satellite etc., very cool feature.
TASMs don't work reliably against fast moving targets, as targeting takes a while.
TLAM strikes also need data from satellites, and recon sats also play a role.
Nothing of that you can find in other modern sub sims, unfortunately.

Jimbuna 05-25-17 04:20 AM

Welcome to SubSim Jonatron5.

The world around these parts really is your oyster, I'd be trying a few of the super mods and then deciding which one I preferred.