SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SHIII Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   [REL] OLC 'Gold' MkIId (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=147667)

=FI=Ghost 05-12-09 10:56 AM

Hi everyone!

I have a very annoying problem. After I have installed OLC Gold I get CTD after I try to load my second save from a mission. For instance, I start a mission and make a save. I can load it later and continue playing but after I make another save and try to load it later I get CTD when the game loads and I see "Not so long ago" writing. I've played a lot of missions before I got OLC mod and never had such a problem, but now I cannot even finish my first mission because of this. I've posted this in a separate topic but I didn't get any answer.

OLC, thank you for this mod, it's wonderful and I really hope that I can solve my problem and be able to continue playing..

onelifecrisis 05-12-09 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by =FI=Ghost (Post 1100003)
Hi everyone!

I have a very annoying problem. After I have installed OLC Gold I get CTD after I try to load my second save from a mission. For instance, I start a mission and make a save. I can load it later and continue playing but after I make another save and try to load it later I get CTD when the game loads and I see "Not so long ago" writing. I've played a lot of missions before I got OLC mod and never had such a problem, but now I cannot even finish my first mission because of this. I've posted this in a separate topic but I didn't get any answer.

OLC, thank you for this mod, it's wonderful and I really hope that I can solve my problem and be able to continue playing..

There are several stock bugs that can cause CTDs, and many, many threads covering how to avoid them. The main things to remember are: don't save while submerged, and don't save when you know that there are other ships within 50km of your sub! If you save in either of those circumstances you will have problems (including but not limited to CTDs) when you reload. Those are stock problems and have nothing to do with OLC Gold.

HTH
OLC

Dr. Evil 05-12-09 12:20 PM

Thanks, onelife. Also, another annoying problem is that whenever I try to lock something in the scope, it stays locked for about five seconds, and then it unlocks. Annoying as hell. I would keep it out of the thread for this mod, but it only seems to happen when I use OLC and I don't think it worth a thread of its own.

onelifecrisis 05-12-09 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil (Post 1100052)
Thanks, onelife. Also, another annoying problem is that whenever I try to lock something in the scope, it stays locked for about five seconds, and then it unlocks. Annoying as hell. I would keep it out of the thread for this mod, but it only seems to happen when I use OLC and I don't think it worth a thread of its own.

It happens in stock SH3, GWX, and probably in the other supermods as well. This is not something I've changed, but don't take my word for it, check it yourself. Uninstall OLC Gold, do a mission, and lock on to a target that is more than 5km away.

The scope automatically unlocks when you lock on to a target that is too far away. If you're interested, the distance is determined by a setting in sensors.dat (a file you'll notice is not changed by OLC Gold) but I don't recommend changing it from the default GWX setting (unless you want to mess up your crew's ability to spot ships).

tomfon 05-12-09 01:23 PM

@OLC

I've been playing with the Ubermod for some time and with its 'Gold' version for quite a few time too. In both modes the radar contacts are shown as red and black lines for airplanes and warships respectively. BUT! I think that Uboat Commanders couldn't know if the contact was seaborne or airborne.

In case this is true would you mind telling me how to change this i.e force the game to use only one color for all types of radio contacts?

Is this related to the menu_configuration file? :hmmm:

onelifecrisis 05-12-09 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomfon (Post 1100103)
@OLC

I've been playing with the Ubermod for some time and with its 'Gold' version for quite a few time too. In both modes the radar contacts are shown as red and black lines for airplanes and warships respectively. BUT! I think that Uboat Commanders couldn't know if the contact was seaborne or airborne.

In case this is true would you mind telling me how to change this i.e force the game to use only one color for all types of radio contacts?

Is this related to the menu_configuration file? :hmmm:

I don't know whether they could tell or not. :hmmm:

Just so you know, if you make it one colour for all contacts then it will also affect hydrophone contacts.

Assuming you want to go ahead, open up maps.cfg and look in there. I can't remember for sure but I think you change

Mat1=0x09,0x0B,data/menu/gui/ContLine.tga

to

Mat1=0x3B,0x0B,data/menu/gui/ContLine.tga

or something like that. Give it a try. :up:

tomfon 05-12-09 05:37 PM

Roger that. Thanks!

:up:

onelifecrisis 05-20-09 12:10 PM

Actually, tomfon, thinking about it... wouldn't they have been able to tell from the speed? Even a slow aircraft moves an order of magnitude faster than a ship, which is a bit of a give-away, or so I'd have thought. :hmmm:

tomfon 05-20-09 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onelifecrisis (Post 1104139)
Actually, tomfon, thinking about it... wouldn't they have been able to tell from the speed? Even a slow aircraft moves an order of magnitude faster than a ship, which is a bit of a give-away, or so I'd have thought. :hmmm:

Thats a good thought but i think that the capabilities of the radar detectors in WWII were quite limited i.e. they could only detect emissions from a source emitting "energy" i.e. the radar, depending on the sensitivity of the radar detectors e.g. the FuMB-1 could not detect the S-band radars. Also, in order to determine whether its a ship or an aircraft, the RWR set should be equipped with something that calculates the distance to the target. As far as i know Uboats weren't equipped with Doppler radars or stuff like that. Thats post-war tecnology. Evidently, they were receivers of radio waves (thus Radar Warning Receivers, lol!). Early RWR sets could not even tell the bearing of the contact! So, its not right when the FuMB-1 keeps your navmap constantly updated on the warship's position. Could this be changed? After searching SH3's files a bit, why do i have the feeling its hardcoded? :hmmm:

BTW your suggestion (see your previous post) is correct and... quite obvious.:oops: To cut a long story short, it works. To tell the truth, i've changed my mind ; i won't change any colors, basically for two reasons:
1. It slows down my gameplay, beyond the limits of my patience.
2. Even if all contacts were shown as e.g. black lines, the best way to deal with it would be to dive and check with the hydrophone for a closing ship. If i don't hear anything then its probably a plane, right? Well, thats fine too cause it means that i didn't give him the chance to attack me. But it doen't really matter since i never fight airplanes; i always dive. Secondly, i don't count on the RWR to intercept a ship, i use the hydrophones and my watch crew.

Anyway, thanks for having a second thought on this matter. ;) Few info can be found here .

onelifecrisis 05-20-09 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomfon (Post 1104174)
So, its not right when the FuMB-1 keeps your navmap constantly updated on the warship's position. Could this be changed? After searching SH3's files a bit, why do i have the feeling its hardcoded? :hmmm:

Yeah. A sensor is a sensor in SH3. They all sort of work the same, in so much as that they all get the exact position of a contact and the only difference is how they do it. There are two kinds of map markers (a line or a position marker) and all you can do is change which one is used for any given sensor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomfon (Post 1104174)
2. Even if all contacts were shown as e.g. black lines, the best way to deal with it would be to dive and check with the hydrophone for a closing ship.

Heh, good point.

tomfon 05-20-09 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onelifecrisis (Post 1104180)
Yeah. A sensor is a sensor in SH3. They all sort of work the same, in so much as that they all get the exact position of a contact and the only difference is how they do it. There are two kinds of map markers (a line or a position marker) and all you can do is change which one is used for any given sensor.

Hmm, thanks. :up:
Not much of a choice then.

LGN1 05-20-09 10:45 PM

Hi,

do I understand it correctly that it is possible to show ship contacts on the map not via icons, but via contact lines? If yes, how can you do that? This might be a good way to replace the WO's deadly accuracy with something more crude.

Cheers, LGN1

onelifecrisis 05-20-09 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LGN1 (Post 1104469)
do I understand it correctly that it is possible to show ship contacts on the map not via icons, but via contact lines?

Yes...

Quote:

Originally Posted by LGN1 (Post 1104469)
If yes, how can you do that? This might be a good way to replace the WO's deadly accuracy with something more crude.

I thought I'd already achieved that objective! :O:

If you want to do this I think it's in maps.cfg... I can't remember for sure and I'm a little busy right now. Have a look in maps.cfg and if you get stuck let me know.

onelifecrisis 05-21-09 12:08 AM

OLC's Latest Tweak

I'm getting ready to start a brand new GWX3+OLC+LRT campaign, and I decided to sort out something that had been bugging me: the sky/clouds not looking quite right near the horizon, particularly during daytime partial-cloud conditions. It proved easy enough to fix (mainly cos I'd been mulling it over for some time) so in true OLC-makes-a-mess-of-the-'Gold'-bit fashion, I'm releasing the tweak.

Here is a before/after (left/right respectively) comparison image to show what it does:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3352/...5b3bf790_o.jpg

You get a similar effect in overcast conditions as well. This is a purely graphical effect and has zero impact on the gameplay. If you like the look of it then grab it here and install it over the top of OLC 'Gold'. It's fully compatible with the other OLC 'Gold' modlets and addons (such as the Flat Sun Fix). Given the files being changed, I imaging it's best not to enable this mid-patrol.

Cheers,
OLC

LGN1 05-21-09 12:14 AM

Thanks, OLC.

In maps.cfg (from GWX 2) I have found the following:

[MAPS]
MapsNb=2
;materials
Mat0=0x09,0x0B;default
Mat1=0x09,0x0B,data/menu/gui/ContLine.tga
Mat2=0x09,0x0B,data/menu/gui/DashLine.tga
Mat3=0x09,0x0B,data/menu/gui/Degrees.tga
Mat4=0x3B,0x0B,data/menu/gui/Units/Torp.tga
Mat5=0x3B,0x0B,data/menu/gui/Units/Selection.tga
Mat6=0x3B,0x0B,data/menu/gui/Units/ShipDestroyed.tga
Mat7=0x3B,0x0B,data/menu/gui/Units/AirDestroyed.tga
Mat8=0x3B,0x0B,data/menu/gui/Units/City.tga

;units military symbols
;MatSymbXY where X digit means the type of the unit/convoy and Y digit is the size of the convoy (0 for small, 1 for medium and 2 for large)
MatSymb00=0x3B,0x0B,data/menu/gui/Units/UnitWShip.tga
MatSymb01=0x3B,0x0B,data/menu/gui/Units/UnitWShip.tga
MatSymb02=0x3B,0x0B,data/menu/gui/Units/UnitWShipM.tga
MatSymb03=0x3B,0x0B,data/menu/gui/Units/UnitWShipL.tga
MatSymb10=0x3B,0x0B,data/menu/gui/Units/UnitMShip.tga
MatSymb11=0x3B,0x0B,data/menu/gui/Units/UnitMShip.tga
MatSymb12=0x3B,0x0B,data/menu/gui/Units/UnitMShipM.tga
MatSymb13=0x3B,0x0B,data/menu/gui/Units/UnitMShipL.tga
MatSymb20=0x3B,0x0B,data/menu/gui/Units/UnitSub.tga
MatSymb21=0x3B,0x0B,data/menu/gui/Units/UnitSub.tga
MatSymb22=0x3B,0x0B,data/menu/gui/Units/UnitSubM.tga
MatSymb23=0x3B,0x0B,data/menu/gui/Units/UnitSubL.tga
MatSymb30=0x3B,0x0B,data/menu/gui/Units/UnitAir.tga
MatSymb31=0x3B,0x0B,data/menu/gui/Units/UnitAir.tga
MatSymb32=0x3B,0x0B,data/menu/gui/Units/UnitAirM.tga
MatSymb33=0x3B,0x0B,data/menu/gui/Units/UnitAirL.tga
MatSymb40=0x3B,0x0B,data/menu/gui/Units/UnitLand.tga
MatSymb41=0x3B,0x0B,data/menu/gui/Units/UnitLand.tga
MatSymb42=0x3B,0x0B,data/menu/gui/Units/UnitLandM.tga
MatSymb43=0x3B,0x0B,data/menu/gui/Units/UnitLandL.tga

I guess the comment is missleading. 'Y=0' is the ship symbol and 'Y=1,2,3' is the group symbol for small,medium, large.

If I want to have single ships on the map indicated by the lines, I would replace

MatSymb00=0x3B,0x0B,data/menu/gui/Units/UnitWShip.tga

with

MatSymb00=0x3B,0x0B,data/menu/gui/ContLine.tga

Can anyone confirm this? Unfortunately, I cannot test it myself (I am travelling and my notebook is too weak. I only have a backup with the files).

Thanks anyone!

Cheers, LGN1