SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   Remake of Das Boot 2018 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=220829)

fenian 06-25-15 11:37 PM

Remake of Das Boot 2018

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ource=facebook

Quote:

Bavaria boss Christian Franckenstein told German trade magazine Blickpunkt Film that Das Boot is one of several properties from its rights library the company is looking to relaunch.

Based on the novel by Lothar-Gunther Buchheim, who was a war reporter stationed on an U-Boat during WWII, Das Boot is one of the most successful German films of all time. The film was nominated for six Oscars and launched Petersen's Hollywood career.

flag4 06-26-15 12:26 AM

das boot 2

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015...fgang-peterson

bstanko6 06-26-15 12:34 AM

I'm torn... I love Das boot. It's a classic. Yet with today's tech it may be a great remake!

Aktungbby 06-26-15 12:35 AM

Ahem! already posted by Fenian :D http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=2324163#post2324163

Cybermat47 06-26-15 12:43 AM

Well, we either get an even better adaptation of the novel, or we get a movie to ignore, and we'll still have the original. I have no problems at all with this :)

Sailor Steve 06-26-15 12:46 AM

Threads merged and moved to proper forum.

Oh, and my own opinion: I love Das Boot, but I did have my complaints. This could be better. It could also be a lot worse.

Fingers crossed.

Trool323 06-26-15 04:03 AM

This is great. I wish they would also make some new WWII pacific side movies about the silent service. One can wish at least.

Onkel Neal 06-26-15 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bstanko6 (Post 2324171)
I'm torn... I love Das boot. It's a classic. Yet with today's tech it may be a great remake!

Same here. I really cannot see how they can match the original, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trool323 (Post 2324197)
This is great. I wish they would also make some new WWII pacific side movies about the silent service. One can wish at least.

Yes, there are a number of compelling Silent Service stories that would make fantastic films, if they resisted the urge to Hollywood them up too much.

Subnuts 06-26-15 07:35 AM

I don't really see the point of a remake. Except for a few dated special effects shots, and a couple points where the music is a little too synth-heavy, Das Boot holds up remarkably well. I can't imagine what good, in the words of one Mr. Harry S. Plinkett, HYPERCHARGING and ELECTRIFYING it for a modern audience would do. The original works because it's slow, heavy, claustrophobic, brooding, and so forth...hardly attributes that land butts in theater seats these days.

Jimbuna 06-26-15 07:49 AM

I doubt they can outdo the original but if that were to be the case then I'd certainly like to see it.

u crank 06-26-15 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subnuts (Post 2324253)
I don't really see the point of a remake. Except for a few dated special effects shots, and a couple points where the music is a little too synth-heavy, Das Boot holds up remarkably well. I can't imagine what good, in the words of one Mr. Harry S. Plinkett, HYPERCHARGING and ELECTRIFYING it for a modern audience would do. The original works because it's slow, heavy, claustrophobic, brooding, and so forth...hardly attributes that land butts in theater seats these days.

I would have to agree here. If the remake were better than the original, in SubSimmers view point, it would probably be a commercial flop. It may get critical acclaim for acting, writing etc. but it would still be avoided by todays movie going crowd. On the other hand if they make a 'Hollywood' version, complete with high profile actors it would be another 'U 571' with a heavy dose of 'Pearl Harbor' tossed in. Yikes. :O:

fitzcarraldo 06-26-15 10:03 AM

I´m waiting (for years) a new good film about U boats or Fleet Boats based in real history:

For U boats (and Kriegsmarine in general), I want a remake of "Sharks and little fish". Or a film about the capture of U505-in Chicago they have the real sub for a film.....

For Fleet Boats in PTO: a film about Mush Morton. Or Fluckey. Or Burlingame on the Silversides (also there is the real sub for the film).

But another "Das Boot"?

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo :salute:

gmccabe01 06-26-15 11:26 AM

Anyone here honestly think the long times between action (film 6hrs long of what really happened) would suit to days audience ?
They want an action packed blockbuster (loads of $$$) and not a story to remember all those brave men on both sides that fought in the Atlantic.
I say make a new sub movie and leave Das Boot alone, don't mess with an Epic

nikimcbee 06-26-15 11:43 AM

Why? Does no one have any creativity anymore?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo (Post 2324334)
I´m waiting (for years) a new good film about U boats or Fleet Boats based in real history:

For U boats (and Kriegsmarine in general), I want a remake of "Sharks and little fish". Or a film about the capture of U505-in Chicago they have the real sub for a film.....

For Fleet Boats in PTO: a film about Mush Morton. Or Fluckey. Or Burlingame on the Silversides (also there is the real sub for the film).

But another "Das Boot"?

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo :salute:

This.:/\\k:

There are plenty of great WW2 submarine stories out there w/o a movie telling their story.

Get of yer arse and write a script (movie directors)!
U-505.
U-99's last patrol.
U-123
U-9 (WW1)
U-35(WW1)
USS Wahoo
USS Tang
USS Barb

Nippelspanner 06-26-15 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subnuts (Post 2324253)
I don't really see the point of a remake.

Quick money thanks to abusing a good name and a solid PR campaign, leaving dissapointed fans behind and a movie no one wants to remember.
Mark my words.

:down: