SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Weather (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=239702)

ShotMagnet 01-19-19 01:54 AM

Weather

How is weather modeled in this game?

Is it based on historical records, is it random, is it otherwise?

Shot

mikesn9 01-19-19 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShotMagnet (Post 2587296)
How is weather modeled in this game?

Is it based on historical records, is it random, is it otherwise?

Shot

HMM. My first thought is: " does it matter?"
'ctrl w' gets me the weather.
Or I can look (bridge or Periscope)
and to quote Bob Dylan " You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

captcrane 01-19-19 08:20 AM

It is totally random as far as I know. You can be in dense fog save the game and when you restart it's sunshine and clear. " Control n" will change the weather during game play. Unless that was changed in the mod you are using

merc4ulfate 01-19-19 09:29 AM

Random generator.

Armistead 01-19-19 02:23 PM

It's basically controlled by a setting in the scene.dat, but it controls random times, not historical events. Seems I recall some setting in the mission editor where it might be changed where you create actual groups and plots, but I just can't remember, nor did I think it worked right or at all.

propbeanie 01-19-19 03:03 PM

The second half of the first "paragraph" in all *.mis files, whether for the Campaign, SingleMission or others, is devoted to weather settings:
Fog=0
FogRand=0
Clouds=0
CloudsRand=0
Precip=0
PrecipRand=0
WindHeading=0
WindSpeed=5.000000
WindRand=0
WeatherRndInterval=5
SeaType=0
which does work well to set it for certain scenarios, but it still will "randomize" after the start, like the rest of the game. (Those are the "default" values.) I have something around here that has those listed and their value limits... only problem is - where??... :hmmm: - The wind speed can go up to "15" (knots), the Heading to "359" (degrees), the "Interval" is (I think) hours, but the others are values of 1, 2, or 3, but I don't remember which is which... Basically "Low", "Medium" and "High"... I used those for the FotRSU Aleutians career patrols, so I've got the documentation for that somewhere - if you're interested... cdrsubron7 also knows how to do that. Check out his Single Missions for examples. Good stuff! :salute:

ShotMagnet 01-20-19 04:07 AM

OK. Thanks all. I was trying to determine if there was any historical relevance to the weather I encounter. Apparently there isn't.

Shot

Front Runner 01-20-19 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2587387)
The second half of the first "paragraph" in all *.mis files, whether for the Campaign, SingleMission or others, is devoted to weather settings:
Fog=0
FogRand=0
Clouds=0
CloudsRand=0
Precip=0
PrecipRand=0
WindHeading=0
WindSpeed=5.000000
WindRand=0
WeatherRndInterval=5
SeaType=0
which does work well to set it for certain scenarios, but it still will "randomize" after the start, like the rest of the game. (Those are the "default" values.) I have something around here that has those listed and their value limits... only problem is - where??... :hmmm: - The wind speed can go up to "15" (knots), the Heading to "359" (degrees), the "Interval" is (I think) hours, but the others are values of 1, 2, or 3, but I don't remember which is which... Basically "Low", "Medium" and "High"... I used those for the FotRSU Aleutians career patrols, so I've got the documentation for that somewhere - if you're interested... cdrsubron7 also knows how to do that. Check out his Single Missions for examples. Good stuff! :salute:

Wind speed is "mps" (meters per second). 15 mps translates to 29.158 knots or 33.554 mph. A "Near Gale" (on the Beaufort scale), is the strongest "storm" the game can simulate. A "Full Gale" begins at 34 knots.

Be careful using "Control N" to reset the weather (BTW this is erroneously cross mapped in TMO, Dulcimus uses "Control N" as a keyboard shortcut to "Report nearest sound contact" which simultaneously resets the weather. (You can edit the commands.cfg file to change this behavior.)
My understanding is that using "control N" resets the weather for YOU, but not for the ENEMY (or other AI units.) So, if you're in fog and you reset the weather, you can see them but they can't see you.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=215391

propbeanie 01-20-19 10:28 AM

Thanks for that correction Front Runner! It's "only" a factor of 2 mistake... :har: - good reminders on the rest also. :salute:

Armistead 01-20-19 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Front Runner (Post 2587536)
Wind speed is "mps" (meters per second). 15 mps translates to 29.158 knots or 33.554 mph. A "Near Gale" (on the Beaufort scale), is the strongest "storm" the game can simulate. A "Full Gale" begins at 34 knots.

Be careful using "Control N" to reset the weather (BTW this is erroneously cross mapped in TMO, Dulcimus uses "Control N" as a keyboard shortcut to "Report nearest sound contact" which simultaneously resets the weather. (You can edit the commands.cfg file to change this behavior.)
My understanding is that using "control N" resets the weather for YOU, but not for the ENEMY (or other AI units.) So, if you're in fog and you reset the weather, you can see them but they can't see you.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=215391

Any time I reset the weather and the enemy was near I got blasted out of the water.

Front Runner 01-20-19 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armistead (Post 2587566)
Any time I reset the weather and the enemy was near I got blasted out of the water.

Then, there's that! ^^^^^

"My understanding" may be wrong. I suppose one could "experiment" with this issue, if they've a mind to....