SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   Aft Starboard cable on the Sargo boat is in the wrong location (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=196093)

Hylander_1314 06-12-12 10:14 AM

Aft Starboard cable on the Sargo boat is in the wrong location

Not sure if this has been mentioned in the past, but if one looks closely at the Sargo boat while on the bridge, or from external camera views, the aft starboard cable that runs from the aft mast to the conning tower is not attached properly.

it runs from the center of the mast, to the center of the tower, as opposed to the proper attachment points to the starboard side of each location.

Not along enough in the 3D model program to try to fix it, as it is just different enough from GMax to make it a stumbling learning curve.

If this has been brought up in the past, my apologies.

Webster 06-12-12 01:35 PM

things in the game are positioned based on a x, y, z axis grid so you chamnge one for up and down one for left or right, and the other is ... well i cant remember, but change those settings to reposition it to where it should be

Hylander_1314 06-12-12 08:38 PM

Okay, where would that be? I can see it in the .dat file, on all the conning tower variants, as long as i zoom way in close and get the angle just right.

Thanks in advance Webster! :salute:

stanger 06-13-12 06:10 AM

I don't think you can do this with s3d only; you want to move just one cable, it would be possible (in s3d) if it was a separate object, but it isnt, as far as I know. You would need to export it, edit in some 3d software, and put back into dat file.

Edit: it node - NSS_SalmonSargoTower01_Antenas; you can move the whole thing (in node positioning, x,y,z - like Webster said), but - looks like - not a single cable.

Hylander_1314 06-13-12 07:42 AM

Thanks Stanger, yes, I saw that myself, and that is why I think the whole thing needs to be exported, tweaked, and added back in. Working with Wings3D, I am, ........................ shall we say, still rather lacking in skills to use it, and would probably take me a year to figure it out.

When I clicked on the Antennae Node, I noticed they are tied to the center of the main tower node. as they don't have individual nodes for each one.

Also, when I try to export anything from any .dat files, I get an error message, even if it is a .obj file, which Wings uses. It tells me that it's either, "Not a Wings format, or is an old Wings format".

That's the frustrating part. I have no clue how to get passed this speedbump in the road.

Webster 06-13-12 10:33 AM

if it is seperate you click on that one cable, if its not the only thing highlighted then as you guessed the "unit" of things its contained in must be tweaked.

if its only the sargo that is wrong then maybe you can import another subs info that is done correctly over to the sargo to replace it

stanger 06-13-12 10:59 AM

I did manage to export it as obj - not entire CT, but only that "antennas" node, imported it to wings3d (at this point I dont know if I should invert anything while exporting through s3d, just wanted to check if I can do anything in wings), managed to find out how to move things (select an item, right click - move - free or on x, y or z), but I dont know how to align it: I can move entire cable, but how to move one end of it while not moving the other? Also, it seems like that cable is too short, so will need to lengthen it.
Wings3d is fine piece of software, not as frustrating as Blender, but its still a nightmare :P
I can't wait to see what problems will arise when it'll come to importing it back in s3d...

On the other hand its should be a quick job for a 3d modeller, instead of making another ship, some of them could fix this, or even rework sub models to have holes (holes?) like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...panito_bow.JPG

German boats in u-boat addon alrady have it, and look cool.

Hylander_1314 06-13-12 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webster (Post 1897038)
if it is seperate you click on that one cable, if its not the only thing highlighted then as you guessed the "unit" of things its contained in must be tweaked.

if its only the sargo that is wrong then maybe you can import another subs info that is done correctly over to the sargo to replace it

Thanks Webster! I'l take a look and see if any are compatable!

Edit.
Looks like the P-Class boats use the same Conning Tower, and it should work? But I'm not sure what to do exactly with the dat structure. I was used to old games like B-17II, and Red Baron 3D, and mostly did skins for them. The model side of it, is still new to me, so bear with me please as i stumble along.

Hylander_1314 06-13-12 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanger (Post 1897057)
I did manage to export it as obj - not entire CT, but only that "antennas" node, imported it to wings3d (at this point I dont know if I should invert anything while exporting through s3d, just wanted to check if I can do anything in wings), managed to find out how to move things (select an item, right click - move - free or on x, y or z), but I dont know how to align it: I can move entire cable, but how to move one end of it while not moving the other? Also, it seems like that cable is too short, so will need to lengthen it.
Wings3d is fine piece of software, not as frustrating as Blender, but its still a nightmare :P
I can't wait to see what problems will arise when it'll come to importing it back in s3d...

On the other hand its should be a quick job for a 3d modeller, instead of making another ship, some of them could fix this, or even rework sub models to have holes (holes?) like this:

German boats in u-boat add on already have it, and look cool.

Yes, the limber holes would be nice to model! But you would have to build something as a structure behind them, or you wouldn't see the hull interior as it is a one sided model to view from external only.

Kinda like the cockpit and engine bay in the Halberstadt CL2 I was making. Once I cut the fuselage for those areas, I had to build an interior set of walls, and floors for it or looking in those areas, you saw nothing but open space.

Hylander_1314 06-13-12 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanger (Post 1897057)

German boats in u-boat addon alrady have it, and look cool.

I can get the CT to export to Wings 3D, but when I try to open it, it gives me a failed to open message, with the explanation that the file is not a Wings3D file or is an old format.

stanger 06-14-12 03:14 AM

I may only suggest to check if youre using latest versions of s3d and wings3d.
These are files exported by s3d:

Code:

2012-06-13  15:46              326 NSS_SalmonSargoTower01_Antenas-uv2.mtl
2012-06-13  15:46            91*419 NSS_SalmonSargoTower01_Antenas-uv2.obj
2012-06-13  15:46              326 NSS_SalmonSargoTower01_Antenas-uv3.mtl
2012-06-13  15:46            54*739 NSS_SalmonSargoTower01_Antenas-uv3.obj
2012-06-13  15:46              326 NSS_SalmonSargoTower01_Antenas-uv4.mtl
2012-06-13  15:46            54*739 NSS_SalmonSargoTower01_Antenas-uv4.obj
2012-06-13  15:46              326 NSS_SalmonSargoTower01_Antenas.mtl
2012-06-13  15:46            56*143 NSS_SalmonSargoTower01_Antenas.obj

I did manage to import (to wings3d and maya) NSS_SalmonSargoTower01_Antenas.obj.

I also did manage to get trial version of Maya 2013 and this is result of it:

http://images40.fotosik.pl/1636/a790d966858304c6m.jpg

But I cant find an option to export it as obj file. It may be a limitation of the trial version of Maya, or its not suitable for such tasks. I will try 3dsMax if there is fully functional trial available. I will also need to export it one more time and do it with skwasjer tutorial (to make sure I wont need to redo the work - again).

MareKapszli 06-14-12 03:17 AM

...:cool:

stanger 06-14-12 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MareKapszli (Post 1897318)
...:cool:

What, you're hiding something. :)

Hylander_1314 06-14-12 04:51 AM

Being his first post, I would venture to say, that he thinks it's cool.

Hylander_1314 06-14-12 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanger (Post 1897317)
I may only suggest to check if youre using latest versions of s3d and wings3d.
These are files exported by s3d:

Code:

2012-06-13  15:46              326 NSS_SalmonSargoTower01_Antenas-uv2.mtl
2012-06-13  15:46            91*419 NSS_SalmonSargoTower01_Antenas-uv2.obj
2012-06-13  15:46              326 NSS_SalmonSargoTower01_Antenas-uv3.mtl
2012-06-13  15:46            54*739 NSS_SalmonSargoTower01_Antenas-uv3.obj
2012-06-13  15:46              326 NSS_SalmonSargoTower01_Antenas-uv4.mtl
2012-06-13  15:46            54*739 NSS_SalmonSargoTower01_Antenas-uv4.obj
2012-06-13  15:46              326 NSS_SalmonSargoTower01_Antenas.mtl
2012-06-13  15:46            56*143 NSS_SalmonSargoTower01_Antenas.obj

I did manage to import (to wings3d and maya) NSS_SalmonSargoTower01_Antenas.obj.

Okay, I just get a single .obj file in my folder I save to.

Yep, I do have the latest versions of both programs. :hmmm: